Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Kaeng Som - southern spicy sour soup

Kaeng Som - southern spicy sour soup

Jo makes this delicious soup using southern-bought paste, available at local markets, but is easily made as per recipe > KAENG SOM <

In lieu of fresh fish, one can use tinned tuna (ground to a paste) added to the broth for flavour and texture + green prawn meat (added minutes before serving).

I like a good balance between sour, salty and spicy ... hot enough to clear the sinuses but not blow head off!

Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Wabbits Boss Cadet silver Mrs W's Avatar
    Look so yummy, I'm going to make Kaeng som tonight after have been looking Jo Kaeng som for two days. Hope it's as nice as your one.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Righto KROB, I took photos this time... Remeber ages ago I asked about the green eggs?

Well here are some pics of the green eggs.

Also can you tell me what the dark Coloured eggs are they were also delicous...

These were great.... Only came across them at a wedding...

Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Spot, the top photo is of chicken* eggs cooked in a broth, probably stewed pork. *Jo said chicken, not duck, but it's often hard to tell the difference.

The bottom photo is what I call '100 year old eggs' and best explained > HERE <
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Spot, the top photo is of chicken* eggs cooked in a broth, probably stewed pork. *Jo said chicken, not duck, but it's often hard to tell the difference.

The bottom photo is what I call '100 year old eggs' and best explained > HERE <
    Thanks KROB, both were delicious, the former Mook peeled and fed me in 28 days in Isaan and with no salt or other additive were Great. The latter the 100 year old eggs were magnificient, first time I came across them were at a wedding of one of the Isaan Mafia's son in Kamphuwapi just south of Udon..
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Thanks KROB, both were delicious, the former Mook peeled and fed me in 28 days in Isaan and with no salt or other additive were Great. The latter the 100 year old eggs were magnificient, first time I came across them were at a wedding of one of the Isaan Mafia's son in Kamphuwapi just south of Udon..
    Eggs certainly taste good here. The shells are so bloody hard there's no problem carrying them home loose in a plastic bag - try doing that with Woollies/Coles eggs!

Duck eggs are magnificent yet I'd never seen them in NZ or Aus. So many different ways to eat them too... have you tried the pink (Salted) ones? Jo and I will often have sticky rice and soft-boiled egg for brekky, with nam pla prik of course, and she makes a stunning omelette using cha-om which goes into a particular soup, cut up into large squares ... very tasty!

Cha-om >

Eaten as an omelette (I like it thin and cooked crispy in a hot wok), cha om has a subtle, nutty flavour > recipe here <
    Cheers, Rob.

Banned
    Last edited by Fionn; 16th May 2013 at 11:10.

Yep I noticed S buying plastic bags of eggs and thinking they must have been boiled eggs, you are spot on with the thicker shells.

S will make omellettes with nothing visible in them but they taste great.,..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Bee makes it a bit.
    She asks if youve tried it cooked with watermelon skin in it ?

She reckons the skin of immature melons ( not yet red inside) is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Bee makes it a bit.
    She asks if youve tried it cooked with watermelon skin in it ?

She reckons the skin of immature melons ( not yet red inside) is best.
    She saw them in Kamala market but not in CM, yet. I like 'white carrot' and zucchini but Jo has just made it with moringa/drumstick beans .... too fiddly to eat as very fibrous.
    Cheers, Rob.

I had always looked at these (baby melons) thinking they were another eggplant variety >

I enjoy having Kaeng Som, any time ... lunch or dinner, but prefer it as a midday snack with fresh french bread.
    Cheers, Rob.