Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: BTS - a great way to get around

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

BTS - a great way to get around

For thoughs who have been to Bangkok, you would have seen the BTS Skytrain in the heart of the city. In my latest trip to Bangkok I actually used it for the first time and continued using it after that. It is cheap, quick, easy and takes you to just about anywhere in the heart of the city.

There are 2 lines that also break off into other train and bus systems throughout Bangkok. There is the Sukhumvit line and the Silom line of which both connect at the Siam station. The Airport link also joins up to the Silom line which can then take you closer to your hotel when you first arrive. The BTS is a much cheaper way to get around Bangkok then a taxi or tuk-tuk and quicker as well, as you avoid the traffic.

After loosing my licence I had to use a lot of public transport throughtout Melbourne and they could really learn alot off the BTS system, It just works. You can buy a daily pass, a trip pass from a selected point to another point, You can hard a smartpass which can be topped up when required. Trains seem to run very regularly, I never once checked a timetable, just turned up and never waited over a couple minutes for a train.

More info can be found here Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company Limited.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    have to agree G4, I use it as my main mode of transport... might take a taxi from a station if my my destination is to far to walk...
    My accommodation is planned around the BTS system, there is also the MTS which travels underground and this fills in a lot of gaps that the BTS leaves..
    My last trip I covered just about all modes of transport in BKK... BTS, MTS, Taxi, Motorbike Taxi, Tuk Tuk and River Taxi.. one of the best cities in the world for cheap reliable modes of public transport!

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    I'm doing a City Tour on this trip, where I have asked the Tour Guide to use nothing but Public Transit. We'll be going to several temples and markets, using only MRT, Skytrain, bus and maybe tuk tuk. I just wanted to get a feel for what it was like to move around Bangkok without having to hire a taxi. Should be fun. And I agree G4, I used Skytrain on my first trip a couple of times, and its great.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    It particularly handy when one of the stops is outside the Australian Visa Application Centre

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    And a handy stop for me at Nana Plaza 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    I'm doing a City Tour on this trip, where I have asked the Tour Guide to use nothing but Public Transit. We'll be going to several temples and markets, using only MRT, Skytrain, bus and maybe tuk tuk. I just wanted to get a feel for what it was like to move around Bangkok without having to hire a taxi. Should be fun. And I agree G4, I used Skytrain on my first trip a couple of times, and its great.
    You'll probably find Taxi's ARE necessary as BKK's public buses are such awful things! Tuk tuks are not as prevalent as in Chiang Mai. I preferred to use MRT/BTS and then walk as you see so much more that way, and distances are not as great as they appear on tourist maps.

Make sure you do a river run by ferry or longtail!

youtube.com/watch?v=Fm51vkJjpgA
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    If there are two of you travelling you will quite often find that taxis are only slightly more....a 30baht ticket x 2 will quite often end up only a sub 100baht taxi fare...having said that its a quick and easy way to get around...although they could do with escalators at all stops.....those stairs are hard work in the heat

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    If there are two of you travelling you will quite often find that taxis are only slightly more....a 30baht ticket x 2 will quite often end up only a sub 100baht taxi fare...having said that its a quick and easy way to get around...although they could do with escalators at all stops.....those stairs are hard work in the heat
    First of all WTTB, make yourself at home, we dont' bite. I would have to agree with the escalators, When you are travelling to and from the airport with bags full of clothes it is hard to carry them down the stairs. and then running back up to get the TG and her bag as well 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    First of all WTTB, make yourself at home, we dont' bite. I would have to agree with the escalators, When you are travelling to and from the airport with bags full of clothes it is hard to carry them down the stairs. and then running back up to get the TG and her bag as well 555
    Knowing your size G4, you should have been able to carry all your bag, Noy and maybe even a couple of spare TG's just for good measure!! 555.....

Welcome to the board Bacwaan

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    WTTB Bacwaan you will find we are a friendly bunch.

w.

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Knowing your size G4, you should have been able to carry all your bag, Noy and maybe even a couple of spare TG's just for good measure!! 555.....

Welcome to the board Bacwaan
    That is what I did in the end but at first I was not thinking about that.

Thai-Spy
    Bangkok's buses aren't as bad as some people make them out to be. The biggest frustration is the difficulty in figuring out which bus goes where, and there seems to be a perpetual shortage of air-conditioned buses.

And the biggest flaw with SkyTrain (aside from the crowding which should be relieved soon as they add rolling stock) is that they nick you for 10 or 15 baht just to use the paid areas as a shortcut.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Rockitt's Avatar
    I find the skytrain to be best way to get about. Taxi's take forever and waiting at those traffic lights with the count down numbers adds to the bad experience. Having said that I find Bkk to be one of the most interesting cities I have visited.