Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Rental Car in Bangkok

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Rental Car in Bangkok

I am heading up to Ayutthaya from Bangkok this next trip and wanted to look into Rental car places. I have 2 options when it comes to choosing who to go through. I could either get a Taxi to Don Mueang Airport and rent something from there or I can wait til I get to Noy's sister house and see what is around the area.

I was wondering if anyone has any suggested companies to book a car through and What i would expect to pay for 2 days. There will be myself, Noy her sister, her husband and there child so we will not need a huge car but cannot be too small either. I was thinking something around the lines of a Toyota Carolla type car. Also are there any specific things (or scams) I should look out for when renting a car? I have rented bikes many times and used Lek Car rental in Udon but understand with the amount of Tourists in Bangkok there would be a lot more to look out for...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Used budget three times always good.

And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    I was going to get a hire car last trip until offered a vehicle by BIL , so did not go through with it, but was using this website that I found ok Compare Cheap Car Hire UK, South Africa, Turkey and USA
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    I was going to get a hire car last trip until offered a vehicle by BIL , so did not go through with it, but was using this website that I found ok Compare Cheap Car Hire UK, South Africa, Turkey and USA
    Thanks AM that looks like a good place to start. Unfortunatly I do not have the same luxury of the BIL owning a car, or anyone in the family for that matter....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Thanks AM that looks like a good place to start. Unfortunatly I do not have the same luxury of the BIL owning a car, or anyone in the family for that matter....
    BIL's got a car, but have the feeling he is going to pay it off forever, after looking at his Financial portfolio 555

I gave him a daily rate for the use, that helped keep the loan sharks at bay for a month or two (I hope)
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    BIL's got a car, but have the feeling he is going to pay it off forever, after looking at his Financial portfolio 555

I gave him a daily rate for the use, that helped keep the loan sharks at bay for a month or two (I hope)
    They seem to just give cars to anyone even though they can't pay it off. It would be interesting to see how many cars are given (or taken) back to the bank....

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Go budget avoid scams get insurance for short term like that aprox 50 aday including.
    Book early to get choice unlike us got the last Vios in Bangkok.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    I've used Budget, Thai rent a car and a small independent mob, all in Chiang Mai.

My advice is stick with the big international names or better still use one of the mobs like Arliss suggested. I've used Argus before to rent a car from Thai Rent a Car. They're often cheaper than going direct and their rates are all-inclusive. No extra unexpected costs for insurance etc.

My experience with a small independent wasn't good and I stick with the 'biggies' now.

2 days for a Toyota Vios, expect to pay around 1,200 - 1,500 baht/ day.
    G4orce likes this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    I've used Budget, Thai rent a car and a small independent mob, all in Chiang Mai.

My advice is stick with the big international names or better still use one of the mobs like Arliss suggested. I've used Argus before to rent a car from Thai Rent a Car. They're often cheaper than going direct and their rates are all-inclusive. No extra unexpected costs for insurance etc.

My experience with a small independent wasn't good and I stick with the 'biggies' now.

2 days for a Toyota Vios, expect to pay around 1,200 - 1,500 baht/ day.

Last trip up to Chiang Mai I hired a Honda City @ 1000 Baht per day, from POP Car & Bike Rentals, if you need a comparison on what to expect in rates G4, I have never hired a bike or car in Bangkok.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

I use Avis from Swampy and Khon Kaen. Always pre-book from the internet, so don't have any hassles with what I want. Sometimes I get the smaller car if just around Patts, or the bigger type if planning going to Buriram or other places that involve longer drives. If needing a car around songkran or a certain holiday, certain available models get snapped up quickly.

The only problem I have with Avis, is I'm still trying to get by Points accredited to my Thai Frequent Flyer account. Otherwise, never had a problem with them.

Ok, so it looks like the bigger companies are the way to go. I do have another question though, Where exactly is "Downtown Bangkok"? I have looked into a few sites and everyone has a pick up location option of Downtown Bangkok....

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Usually there's a link called "location" at the top of the homepage.
    Here's a few to get you started.

Avis:
    BANGKOK DOWNTOWN (BK1 / 0348)
    2/12-13 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330.

Budget:
    19/23 Building A,
    Royal City Avenue,
    New Petchburi Road, Bangkapi, Huay Kwang,
    Bangkok 10310, THAILAND

Thai Rent a Car:
    Petchburee Building 1st Floor ,
    2371 New Petchburee Road, Bangkapi,
    Huaykwang, Bangkok 10310

All seem to be within Cooee of Soi Cowboy/ Nana Plaza
    Last edited by Norabunga; 16th March 2012 at 06:55.

I used Hertz two weeks ago with pick up at

72/8-9 North Sathorn Road,Silom,Bangrak District,Bangkok

Cost was less than $50 per day for two days.

Booking was through vipcars.com, and was cheaper than direct to Hertz.
    I won the sperm-egg lottery. Invest wisely, spend carefully and give generously.

Ok, so it looks like the bigger companies are the way to go. I do have another question though, Where exactly is "Downtown Bangkok"? I have looked into a few sites and everyone has a pick up location option of Downtown Bangkok....
    I still dont know where it is and I've rented from there three times...!
    They always deliver to hotel...555

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post

I think thats a great idea C1, I am sure they would know a shortcut to your hotel ^^.^^

Do you need your passport to rent a car in Bangkok ?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    That would be very handy for me but I do not know Noy's sister address and Noy cannot get it in English either

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    I think thats a great idea C1, I am sure they would know a shortcut to your hotel

Do you need your passport to rent a car in Bangkok ?
    All I ever did was go online and order the car, and tell them what hotel I am staying at. The budget guy is happy to drive the car there with all the paperwork and checking done at the hotel. I then make sure he has his taxi fare back to "Downtown" wherever that might be, plus a tip for him.

The first time I went the budget guy even drove us out of BKK as part of the service, no wonder I go back.

From memory, they look at your docs, passport, license etc when you get the car. Very professional.

It's handy if your TG can do all the "yibberda yibberda" required for the guy to find the delivery address....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Always budget for me not only in LOS.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Ok I have found a place i am going to book a car from. I will be getting a taxi and picking a car up from Don Muang Airport. I am just unsure weather to go a Toyota Vios of the Honda Jazz... I have driven a Jazz and fit comfortably but never driven a Vios (Yaris).

Any Thoughts?

Ok I have found a place i am going to book a car from. I will be getting a taxi and picking a car up from Don Muang Airport. I am just unsure weather to go a Toyota Vios of the Honda Jazz... I have driven a Jazz and fit comfortably but never driven a Vios (Yaris).

Any Thoughts?
    I bet you end up getting a Vios...555

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast