Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Khao San Rd

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

Khao San Rd

On my upcoming trip in April I am going to have a day tour where we are going to see the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha and Khao San Rd. I have never been to Khao San Rd but have been told it is good to have a look at. Any tips on what to see and do whilst there and how long should I allow?

The plan was to just use taxi's rather then actually book a tour/ I have been to the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha and did not use a guide then either.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I think Khao San rd would be a waste of time during the day.... It's one of those places that comes alive at night!
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    On my upcoming trip in April I am going to have a day tour where we are going to see the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha and Khao San Rd. I have never been to Khao San Rd but have been told it is good to have a look at. Any tips on what to see and do whilst there and how long should I allow?

The plan was to just use taxi's rather then actually book a tour/ I have been to the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha and did not use a guide then either.
    If you go to the temples again go early, mad house with tourists. Khoa san rd is great at night. just walk around and take it all in. I recommend Mulligans Irish bar for some liquid intake and good live music.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I just don't get Irish pubs!!... Especially in Thailand!
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I just don't get Irish pubs!!... Especially in Thailand!
    Just a haven from the heat, a/c and good beer. Pints of Singha taste good after a hard day and night.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I think Khao San rd would be a waste of time during the day.... It's one of those places that comes alive at night!
    Totally agree - waste of time in daylight. Only comes to life at night - same same Patpong market etc.

The area does make me smile though, full of that certain type of tourist custom made to be an "extra" in "The Beach"

Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    The Farang heartland of BKK. Ok if you like that kind of thing. Backpackers and Yanks with their fannypacks etc.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

The guest house / backpacker places with foyers full of those day-bed sofas occupied by barefooted braided hair types watching some new release movie on the wall screen - ahhh ... the asia experience ...... 555

Don't be surprised if you get dirty looks from some of them - you will have a TG with you so you must be a sex-tourist.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on making the visit during the day, but if we do end up going there we will make it at night. I was not all that interested in Khao San Rd, but really just want to see what all the fuss is about..
    As for the looks, I am used to that now and honestly do not care what anyone else thinks..

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    The guest house / backpacker places with foyers full of those day-bed sofas occupied by barefooted braided hair types watching some new release movie on the wall screen - ahhh ... the asia experience ...... 555

Don't be surprised if you get dirty looks from some of them - you will have a TG with you so you must be a sex-tourist.
    Self important world adventurers discovering the true Thailand....Had a few on the spice roads ride, they were the ones with the designer adventure wear...

I first stayed in Khao San Road years ago, when there were only a couple of guest houses, next door to each other. They were same clan I gather, but hated each other. It has been interesting to see the area develop over the years. It has become one of those places that are unique to the country they are in, yet not really representative of the country. It is certainly worth a look if you are around.

I still find it interesting, neither really liking it, nor really disliking it. It is more a case of observing the changes.

Sometimes I stay there, if I have something to do in the area, though my stays in Bangkok tend to be quite brief these days; just a night or two. Lodgings can be a bit hard to find; it seems to be always busy. I normally stop by for a haircut done by a woman who has been there, near the temple, for over 20 years. What was the shop she worked in is now a 7/11. She was allowed to set up in an alleyway beside it, and gets mainly regular local customers.

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Totally agree - waste of time in daylight. Only comes to life at night - same same Patpong market etc.

The area does make me smile though, full of that certain type of tourist custom made to be an "extra" in "The Beach"

Enjoy
    I went during the day in late December last year after a visit to Wat Phra Kaew - was pretty quiet and full of backpackers as already mentioned.
    Did see a Thai man kick the **** out of a TG that he was drinking with. All in the street watched on, he picked her up after and put her on a chair. As i continued to walk a police motorbike headed in that direction.
    Small fine i would assume if anything ?

I recommend this place for anyone wanting to stay in the area - Navalai River Resort : Bangkok Riverside Boutique Hotel Bangkok | Luxury Hotel Bangkok

Our balcony looked out over the river and the alleyway opposite the hotel lead down thru the heart of the Khao San area ...

Enjoy...

Enjoy
    Interestingly, the Khao San Road scene in The Beach was shot at the On On Hotel, in Phuket Town.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Interestingly, the Khao San Road scene in The Beach was shot at the On On Hotel, in Phuket Town.
    Typical Hollywood....the real thing just doesn't measure up...similar things happened in Hangover two...the speedboat trip to Krabi?non"non"non"
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

The waterfall scene was special effects and the sand was brought in for the "The Beach" itself .... and "air brushed" out the cliffs around the Phi Phi beach .... but the parts that got me were the man-eating sharks and AK 47 touting criminals in their fields of dope who murder passing tourists etc .... great images for a tourist brochure .... Thailand lets all that thru without a peep but gets huffy with foreign media if they mention the ongoing jet-ski hire scams ... go figure...