Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Thai info geek
  • 1 Post By Quarky
  • 1 Post By jontymate
  • 1 Post By Nomad
  • 1 Post By justcruzing1

Thread: Places to visit in Bangkok?

Places to visit in Bangkok?

If I was coming to Bangkok for the first time... what are the "must see" places I should visit?

These places don't just have to be famous landmarks... they can just be interesting places to see... maybe somewhere off the beaten track.

Or somewhere more famous like...

Is the Grand Palace worth seeing?

Spot likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    The grand palace is a MUST SEE! Take in the history. At night not far from the gates is some great cuisine and exploring history of the ghosts moving through the palace to eat at this spot is also a great experiences.

Smile and be friendly with the locals. You will always find someone to speak English if you are polite and smile. Thai's are proud of their culture and only to happy to share with you.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

What I like doing is just wandering off the main drag. Into the small side Sois of Bangkok. Watching the locals go to work... and then seeing them flock out at lunchtime... grabbing a seat anywhere. Suits next to labourers.... waitresses next to lawyers... and then settling down to a tasty bowl of freshly cooked Som Tum...
    Spot likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Bangkok is a huge city. The only place I can liken it to for a westerner is Mexico City but you are more welcome.

I think you are more welcome or Velkommen, Selamat datang, Wilkomme, Talitali fiefi, Bienvenue. Všlkommen in BKK.
    Spot likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Haayy Waaabbbbits thanks for this mate I do not have a clue what to see in BKK I have the first four days booked a suite at

Somerset Park Suanplu
    Hotel address: 39 Soi Suanplu, South Sathorn Road, Sathorn
    Bangkok

I do not know where this is except that its not far from the embassy.

Mark is Bar 4 close by..... I have asked S if we can just do the week in BKK and not go flying up to Udon Thain to see the house and land and also not down to Na San as i am trying to save for December January with my daughter Courtney coming with me......

Also dont want to relive the fully chaperoned experience this time as this trip could well be make or brake for us..... No PDA fucks me up too much.... And so many Thai girlfriends on FB saying why we not Boom Boom yet?

Wabbs that cycling tour you did mate, got any details I would love to try that. S says she not know BKK so I want to be in charge this time.

Thanks team Spot Khup

Oh BTW got the suite at half price 56 bucks AUD......
    Last edited by Spot; 13th August 2012 at 18:21.
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Spot, you are a short taxi ride to Soi 4 (50 baht), and hopefully the driver will know the cut through along Soi 2 (20 baht fee but saves a lot of time).

Lumphini Park is a 10 minute walk from your hotel, an oasis in BKK.
    Spot likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Spot, you are a short taxi ride to Soi 4 (50 baht), and hopefully the driver will know the cut through along Soi 2 (20 baht fee but saves a lot of time).

Lumphini Park is a 10 minute walk from your hotel, an oasis in BKK.
    Thanks Nomad I'll have to find my map book. Although the way S was carrying on last night I might be doing it all myself......... Doesnt take no for an answer when spending my money.... Not Happy Jan.
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Just use the Sky Train to get around Spot, once you have used it once it is very easy and cheap transport, if you are there on a weekend make sure you go to the Chatuchak Markets, go in the morning, plenty to see and buy.

Another thing I enjoy in Bangkok is the river, a daytime tour on a Longtail Boat and an evening meal on a Boat Cruise, quite romantic and fun, looks so different at night.

Let me know if you want the phone number of a good Taxi driver, Mr Sompong.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Just a small tip on the sky train, you get your ticket from the machine, in the middle, I lined up and waited in the Que to what i thought was the ticket sales, ony to be pointed to the machines. Felt like I was, a first time newbie farang.
    Spot likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Just use the Sky Train to get around Spot, once you have used it once it is very easy and cheap transport, if you are there on a weekend make sure you go to the Chatuchak Markets, go in the morning, plenty to see and buy.

Another thing I enjoy in Bangkok is the river, a daytime tour on a Longtail Boat and an evening meal on a Boat Cruise, quite romantic and fun, looks so different at night.

Let me know if you want the phone number of a good Taxi driver, Mr Sompong.
    Send the number mate what name does he know you by?