Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lopburi - Khmer ruins & ling mak mak 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน

Question Lopburi - Khmer ruins & ling mak mak 555

Anyone been to Lopburi? I'll be based in BKK next trip and thought it might be a nice day trip. The Khmer ruins look cool plus the whole place seems to be infested with monkeys. One hotel is even encased in a cage to keep them out! 555 Sounds like a fun place to visit, any experiences?

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Havn't spent much time there , as i only went through to Lopburi for shopping a couple of times on my last trip. It is certainly a large thriving city. I didnt go to see any of the ruins as TBH i didn't know there was any lol. However as to the monkeys , i can definitely attest to the fact that they have plenty there ! To the point of sitting at a set of traffic lights and there were a couple of monkeys leisurely strolling along the overhead wires to navigate the intersection lol. Will be spending more time there over the coming years , as its also the closest major shopping to Tane's village.
    From what Kaptain Rob and i saw on our short trip there , there is a lot to be seen in and around the area . Looks to be a very interesting place to explore !
    !qq!

^ Thanks for that, made me more curious. I read to be careful of monkeys overhead as they like to defecate [sp?] on those below 555

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Yes you have made me even more curious now too ! Khmer Ruins interest me as well .
    !qq!

^ Have you been to Prasat Phnom Rung near Buriram? Truly spectacular ruins!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I too like Khmer ruins...these are at Pi Mai near Korat.
    Theres also some in Surin I'd like to see.
    I had a mate move to Lopburi and said the monkeys were dangerous and should be culled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

^ Thanks for the pics. I don't think Pi Mai is as well preserved as Prasat Phnom Rung, but may be more extensive. Believe Lopburi used to be one of the ancient capitals as well.

Yes, will certainly be vigilant around the monkeys, especially when overhead 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Ever been to Ayutthaya Bawdy ? I did a trip many many years ago , coach to Summer Palace then onto Ayutthaya , return by boat ( I used Oriental hotel but no longer running ) with lunch and cruising into Bangkok at sunset , great day out , there are a couple of companies that do a similar trip

Ayuthaya by Pearl of Siam Cruising (Departure from Bangkok)

RS II R/T : Depart by Coach and Return trip by River Sun Cruise

No, never been to Ayutthaya, seen heaps of pics but not sold, thanks anyway. I'm just starting to do the 'tourist thing', but my tastes are pretty selective, I will also be going to the Tiger Temple (Fa and I both love tigers), but will not be stopping in Kanchanaburi, except to buy brekkie for the monks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    No, never been to Ayutthaya, seen heaps of pics but not sold, thanks anyway. I'm just starting to do the 'tourist thing', but my tastes are pretty selective, I will also be going to the Tiger Temple (Fa and I both love tigers), but will not be stopping in Kanchanaburi, except to buy brekkie for the monks.
    trust me ayutthaya is worth a visit, but up to you. and another thing tiger temple is a complete rip off, the tigers are in chains and drugged up to the eye balls. i went there once i will never ever go there again.

tiger kingdom in chiang mai is the best experience you'll ever get with tigers ( see photo below )

Last edited by josho; 14th June 2013 at 23:18.

Thanks but I have seen some of the most amazing ruins the world has to offer and Ayuthaya does not interest me at all. I am aware of the debate over the Tiger Temple and don't wish to entertain it here, however, we will not be doing the average tour ...

He looks pretty straight to me................

Bit hard to tell with the shades on but.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bawdy View Post
    Thanks but I have seen some of the most amazing ruins the world has to offer and Ayuthaya does not interest me at all. I am aware of the debate over the Tiger Temple and don't wish to entertain it here, however, we will not be doing the average tour ...
    Fare enough, up to you

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    He looks pretty straight to me................

Bit hard to tell with the shades on but.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by josho View Post

What?
    Think he was referring to your pose with the Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Ever been to Ayutthaya Bawdy ?
    Interestingly, Lopburi was once the Royal Capital of Ayutthaya, and its pretty amazing to think that the Khmer Empire extended so close to Bangkok.

Monkey Town ...

Monkey Buffet Festival 2013 | Take Me Holidays

Monkeys trying to pull down ladies skirts sounds fun

^ Tempted to join the 'Monkey Buffet'? (We'll both be in LOS at the same time) 555

Fa likes to call me ling/monkey 555

From the article:

"It is believed that Lopburi was originally founded by Hanuman who was an anthropomorphic monkey who helped the Ramayana rescue his bride from a demon with 10 heads"

Here is a relief of Hanuman and his monkey army helping Rama defeat the demon king Ravana, from the temple at Prasat Phnom Rung, near Buriram;

DSCF0570.jpg
    Last edited by Bawdy; 16th June 2013 at 09:47.

And Garuda flew his army there ....

Honestly , in order to understand a Thai temple and its art , or even Thailand really , we have to know that Buddha was a Hindu and that most of Thailand was Hindu ( as was the Khmer ) at one stage ( before the arrival of Buddhism).
    Thus the prevailing mythology , and the REAL 'roots' of LoS are the same as Indias.

Keeping it as simple as it can be , EVERYONE should read this first paragraph at least-

Ramakien - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Ramakien ( Thai ) IS the Ramayana , or the legends of the gods ( Ancient India).
    Know that 'Rama' alludes to God(s) and that this r0yal line line here in LoS right now is crowned by Rama VIII....
    This term is so prevalent in languages that even Moslems have 'Ramadan' , while rejecting religious k!ngs and having only the One God.

But , put simply , these are vestiges and reminders of the old ways.

To most Thais there are no gods really.
    Buddha never wanted to be revered as one and stated this emphatically many times.
    The way I understand him , his distilled 'desire is the root of all evil' means the less we want , the less we destroy through consumption/ jealousy/frustration.
    And I hold with that.

^ I'm reading thru that Wiki page right now actually 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    I grew up learning about the Ramayana just as many Thais will have grown up learning about the Ramakien. I've been a few sites in India where Hanuman supposedly built the road across the river. Was only a kid back then....

Lopburi looks interesting but how aggressive are the monkeys? Can it be done for a day trip?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast