The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Recommended places to eat in Bangkok

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    One thing about Bangkok and Chiang Mai... there is never a shortage of places to eat and drink. It all depends on your own palette. A lady I was with the other night ordered pork with vegetables and a sauce. I forget what she called it in Thai, but it went very nice with my Thai omelette and white rice.

Platinum
    Not specific to BKK but why does the places that charge service fee also on top of that charge 7% tax???

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    Not specific to BKK but why does the places that charge service fee also on top of that charge 7% tax???
    VAT .... I assume places that do not charge , either are dodging the tax or incorporating it in the price you see

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    VAT .... I assume places that do not charge , either are dodging the tax or incorporating it in the price you see
    Isnt it suppose to be added into the final price already? Here its not added into the final price , so the price you see includes the VAT.

Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    Isnt it suppose to be added into the final price already? Here its not added into the final price , so the price you see includes the VAT.
    dont think there's a rule

Every country has there own way , in the UK prices generally include VAT ( 20% ) , here in Jersey it gets added on afterwards ( 5% )

Agoda adds on at the end , Booking includes at the beginning...and they are owned by the same company

i prefer to have it included , so you know up front what you are paying

One thing though , if a restaurant is ++ I don't leave any tip
    kaptainrob likes this.

Platinum
    dont think there's a rule

Every country has there own way , in the UK prices generally include VAT ( 20% ) , here in Jersey it gets added on afterwards ( 5% )

Agoda adds on at the end , Booking includes at the beginning...and they are owned by the same company

i prefer to have it included , so you know up front what you are paying
    Yes i understand but all businesses will do the same. I just find it odd that only a few will add the vat and/or service fee after. Most places I eat at in LOS normally dont do that.
    BTW i do not have an issue with the service charge as i always tip anyway. Its just that some add vat after and some dont. Would be nice to know what the right way is,although it is Thailand after all 555.

Platinum
    Me too....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    My wife always has to remind me
    I never look and then tip on top of the 10%

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ya know I very rarely go to places where they add on VAT and Service Charge...it is generally done by Farang Owners in tourist areas or the high end restaurants + hotels...

My addage is that the more you pay for Thai food the poorer it gets once you hit about 150 baht a plate....and that you get no better service if a service charge is added or not

There are loads of great farang retaurants both here where i live (Samui) and the places I regularly visit like Phuket and BKK which serve good value farang food at under 300 baht a plate...of course i will push the boat out for a treat once in a while...especially on good quality seafood...but the ++ still gets my dander up a bit
    sidvicious likes this.

There is a little Thai cafe down the road where I often eat. It's called "Good Steak". The owner barbeques a small pork steak, and it is really good. It comes with a small clump of mashed potatoes and a nice lettuce salad. Great value for 45 baht. I always give him 50 baht and what ever small change I have. It gives me a good perspective of what the costs really are. However, I do understand that rent can be high in some areas and have to be factored in with the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    There is a little Thai cafe down the road where I often eat. It's called "Good Steak". The owner barbeques a small pork steak, and it is really good. It comes with a small clump of mashed potatoes and a nice lettuce salad. Great value for 45 baht. I always give him 50 baht and what ever small change I have. It gives me a good perspective of what the costs really are. However, I do understand that rent can be high in some areas and have to be factored in with the price.
    But that is the cost for the absolute cheapest cut of pork
    You can't really say it's the "true cost" as if comparing to other expensive restaurants that serve better cuts of meat

By the way, I have a soft spot for cheap cuts of steak/meat from when I was young

For a night out treat we'd go to this Steak place in the mall
    York steakhouse, it was a chain in the malls
    It was like a hospital cafeteria
    You ordered your meal and then went down the line grabbing your sides

There is one left in Columbus Ohio, I may make a trip!

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainm...ouse_colu.html
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 5th December 2018 at 04:25.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    But that is the cost for the absolute cheapest cut of pork
    You can't really say it's the "true cost" as if comparing to other expensive restaurants that serve better cuts of meat
    How do you know it is/was the cheapest cut off a pig? I've eaten a lot of pork in Thailand. I much prefer it to any beef steak I'm willing to pay for. I've butchered a LOT of animals myself... including pigs, and I know where all the good cuts come from. I've also eaten some tough old pork in Thailand, and I never go back to those restaurants.

The pork steaks at that little Thai cafe are tender and cooked to perfection. Nothing fancy but an inexpensive meal. A $50 imported beef steak at a fancy restaurant is wasted on me.

How do you know it is/was the cheapest cut off a pig? I've eaten a lot of pork in Thailand. I much prefer it to any beef steak I'm willing to pay for. I've butchered a LOT of animals myself... including pigs, and I know where all the good cuts come from. I've also eaten some tough old pork in Thailand, and I never go back to those restaurants.

The pork steaks at that little Thai cafe are tender and cooked to perfection. Nothing fancy but an inexpensive meal. A $50 imported beef steak at a fancy restaurant is wasted on me.
    How do I know?
    Because you paid 45baht for pork, mashed and salad! 5555

It's simple math

As I said, that doesn't mean it can't be delicious
    I love cheaper meats

And those steak places are popping up all over Thailand and they are usually pretty good

How do I know?
    Because you paid 45baht for pork, mashed and salad! 5555

It's simple math

As I said, that doesn't mean it can't be delicious
    I love cheaper meats

And those steak places are popping up all over Thailand and they are usually pretty good
    Okay, I can accept that, but if an inexpensive piece of meat tastes as good as something 10 times the price, then why would you pay more?

Okay, I can accept that, but if an inexpensive piece of meat tastes as good as something 10 times the price, then why would you pay more?
    Well I wouldn't say it tastes as good

I think it's two different categories, really

A proper steak from a a proper steakhouse really isn't the same as some cheap steak from a small restaurant

So I don't really compare the two

And depending on my mood, I will choose one or the other

Well I wouldn't say it tastes as good

I think it's two different categories, really

A proper steak from a a proper steakhouse really isn't the same as some cheap steak from a small restaurant

So I don't really compare the two

And depending on my mood, I will choose one or the other
    We are talking in circles here. I like value for my money.... for anything and everything.

To narrow it down so you will understand what I mean.... why pay 10 times the price for something that you only get 10% more value from? Why buy a vehicle that you could win races on a track with if you can never get it out of second gear?

The wealthy Thai-Chinese husband of a young friend of mine recently bought a big, fancy, EXPENSIVE BMW motorbike, but he can hardly ride a little scooter properly. But, he does like to show off his wealth.

We are talking in circles here. I like value for my money.... for anything and everything.

To narrow it down so you will understand what I mean.... why pay 10 times the price for something that you only get 10% more value from? Why buy a vehicle that you could win races on a track with if you can never get it out of second gear?

The wealthy Thai-Chinese husband of a young friend of mine recently bought a big, fancy, EXPENSIVE BMW motorbike, but he can hardly ride a little scooter properly. But, he does like to show off his wealth.
    You are such a cheap Charlie you won't acknowledge when expensive things are actually good and there is a cost to them........

You are such a cheap Charlie you won't acknowledge when expensive things are actually good and there is a cost to them........
    Nope, not that at all. I don't mind paying for what is useful for me. I just don't like paying for something I would never get the value from. I'm not impressed by what people own when it is clearly just for show.

Food is like that for me as well. I've eaten the finest steaks, seafood, pastries... and yes, even pizza and fine cuisine from various cheeses. I'm happy with any good meal properly cooked.

However, when you are out with a lady who actually appreciates a lovely meal in a fine restaurant, then that is an entirely different story. But, by myself I would much prefer a simple, inexpensive meal that is properly cooked. I get great enjoyment sitting on a stool in a parking lot with good Thai friends while one of the ladies barbeques some pork and fries up some veggies. It all depends on the company I'm with. If others are enjoying themselves then so am I.

Nope, not that at all. I don't mind paying for what is useful for me. I just don't like paying for something I would never get the value from. I'm not impressed by what people own when it is clearly just for show.

Food is like that for me as well. I've eaten the finest steaks, seafood, pastries... and yes, even pizza and fine cuisine from various cheeses. I'm happy with any good meal properly cooked.

However, when you are out with a lady who actually appreciates a lovely meal in a fine restaurant, then that is an entirely different story. But, by myself I would much prefer a simple, inexpensive meal that is properly cooked. I get great enjoyment sitting on a stool in a parking lot with good Thai friends while one of the ladies barbeques some pork and fries up some veggies. It all depends on the company I'm with. If others are enjoying themselves then so am I.
    But the thing is you automatically think that anyone that can afford to spend a bit money is just showing off, which is absurd
    We've had this debate a million times

I don't have any interest in cameras yet you've bought a bunch of expensive cameras
    But no, you aren't showing off
    But anyone else that spends money on something that doesn't interest you is trying to show off

But of course, you aren't showing off with your expensive camera equipment
    You also don't show off with telling us how much help you give others

None of that is showing off at all
    But God forbid someone feels like spending more than a 100baht for a nice meal 555

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast