The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Recommended places to eat in Bangkok

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar

Recommended places to eat in Bangkok

DP I didn't see anything similar so perhaps we can pin this?

There's a wealth of info on this board from all the members who have spent time in Thailand. What eateries stood out for you?

Some of the places on my list for my upcoming trip include:

Sukhumvit 38 (BTS Thong lor) - lots of great street food

Baan khanitha*

Raan jay fai (Chinatown)

Rosabieng*(soi 11)

Sudhas (just past Som's bar)

Sala rim nam (mandarin orient hotel)

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    This is one place I'd like to try

Sabai Jai Gai Yang - Famous Grilled Chicken Isan Restaurant at Ekkamai (?????? ???????)

Also. On another thread Nahm was mentioned , meant to be one of the best restaurants in the world , doesn't look to expensive either

Thai Restaurant Bangkok | World

Just found this blog , lots of Bangkok restaurant suggestions and lots of Thai dishes ( I just downloaded the free ebook )

10 of the Best Bangkok Restaurants of 2013

Is this thread more applicable to this sub-forum?

Thai Food and eating out

Or better where it is now?

I can sticky it in either...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Had no idea that was even there DP. I suppose it could sit in either place tbh so will leave it to you to decide although I think it would help to build up this sub section for Bangkok.

Interestingly I am accessing this now on Tapatalk but when I clicked the link to that sub forum it gave me a pop up ad for some app forum runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Just found this blog , lots of Bangkok restaurant suggestions and lots of Thai dishes ( I just downloaded the free ebook )

10 of the Best Bangkok Restaurants of 2013

Some good ones on there. That's the great thing about Bangkok. I thought i had eaten at some good places there previously but I've not touched any in this link. I've got just over a week there for my Jan trip so fully intend to try as many places as possible.

On the flip side though as much as I enjoy dining in restaurants I do also enjoy the ransom hole in the wall family owned places scattered all over the place. Remember last time TG took me to some random place on soi 2 sukh. Looked a complete dump but the food was excellent.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I hardly ever eat in restaurants when I am in BKK....the street/market food is so good

however I do call into Nahm most times I am up to see the chef/owner..he taught me how to cook Thai food when he was not so famous 20+ years ago..his food is excellent..probably the best Thai food I have ever eaten across the broad width of the menu...+ I always get to sit in the kitchen and watch it being cooked...that certainly adds to the flavour

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I hardly ever eat in restaurants when I am in BKK....the street/market food is so good
    Other than Thai Buffet, restaurants rarely get the tick of approval from TG family, whereas street food rarely disappoints.

The restaurant next to Hillary 4 and across from Bar 4 is reasonable.

Bully's (between Soi's 2 & 4) has a new chef and manager. The ribs are sensational. The pad thai was also good. The larb moo was not viewed as edible by TG's mum, or me for that matter.
    Last edited by Nomad; 15th October 2014 at 20:13.
    kaptainrob and bacwaan like this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Other than Thai Buffet, restaurants rarely get the tick of approval from TG family, whereas street food rarely disappoints.

The restaurant next to Hillary 4 and across from Bar 4 is reasonable.

Bully's (between Soi's 2 & 4) has a new chef and manager. The ribs are sensational. The pad thai was also good. The larb moo was not viewed as edible by TG's mum, or me for that matter.
    Bully's is on my to do list for Xmas. Will be interesting to compare with The Dukes.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

There is an Isaan restaurant about 200 yards up Sukhumvit Soi 36. You'd hardly know it was there... just go thru a gap in the bushes and a wonderful restaurant under the trees is there... and the prices are almost street food level.

Sukhumvit 38

Stillearly likes this.

I'm hungry now ..

I used to go to Soi 38 for food quite a bit. Was only 2 mins from where I was living on Soi 36...

Didn't I try something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I used to go to Soi 38 for food quite a bit. Was only 2 mins from where I was living on Soi 36...

I've often wondered with great street food in abundance in Thailand do people still keep fresh produce and cook at home as much? Families aside.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    I've often wondered with great street food in abundance in Thailand do people still keep fresh produce and cook at home as much? Families aside.
    Yes, we did. But ate out a couple of times a week as well.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    I eat up at the beach looking out over the water in one of several of my favourite restaurants every day but most nights I prefer to cook for myself (and include my flat mate if he is at home)...at night I mostly just want a salad with some BBQ meat/fish....and its just easier

Once you are getting into farang food I find that I can do it cheaper/cleaner/better/how I want it to taste than the restaurants anyway...but not Thai....I learned to cook Thai over several years and did so quite often in the west however mine tastes nowhere near as good as the better Thai chefs here (just the depth of flavour they can get is amazing) and I have no idea how they can get it on the table for the prices they do
    supersub likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    ^ I saw the one in China Town on TV yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I eat up at the beach looking out over the water in one of several of my favourite restaurants every day but most nights I prefer to cook for myself (and include my flat mate if he is at home)...at night I mostly just want a salad with some BBQ meat/fish....and its just easier

Once you are getting into farang food I find that I can do it cheaper/cleaner/better/how I want it to taste than the restaurants anyway...but not Thai....I learned to cook Thai over several years and did so quite often in the west however mine tastes nowhere near as good as the better Thai chefs here (just the depth of flavour they can get is amazing) and I have no idea how they can get it on the table for the prices they do
    I think if I lived there I would make an effort to try get fresh produce from local markets. It's great to have the option of eating out for cheap too though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast