Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Stillearly

Thread: BKK airport to city

Cadet Gold

BKK airport to city

Fellas

I will be visiting Bangkok again for the first time in years next month. Last time I was there we got a taxi from Swampy to the hotel. Is the train worth conidering these days? I'm staying by Soi 11.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Taxi meter outside , cost was less than 300 baht , I gave him a 100 tip , so 400 Baht , convienient especially if you have luggage
    bacwaan likes this.

Cadet Gold
    OK, thanks. Only going for a few days with an overnight bag. Not fussed about the cost, whichever is fastest.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    I think it depends on when you arrive, it took me well over an hour to get from the airport to my hotel on Soi 4 on a Friday afternoon. 40 minutes of that was the last three kilometers.
    Having said that at least I could sit back and relax after a long set of flights. But I would like to try the train, sky train link next time.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Airportlink is easy, cheap about 50b, but if you arrive early morning you will catch peak hour travellers heading to city and gets packed, but in saying that if you get a seat from the get go it is not really a problem
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    OK, thanks. Only going for a few days with an overnight bag. Not fussed about the cost, whichever is fastest.
    Fastest? Only you and one bag?.... up to Departures and grab a taxi that has just dropped someone off ....

Only possible hiccup is the one way turnstile next to the rank but there is more than enough "play" for you to slip thru against the flow (I have even gotten thru with a loaded baggage trolley...555)

Drivers dropping off tend to keep an eye out for people using this exit strategy and will drive to meet you if you come thru a turnstile down the far end .... you pretty much can jump into their moving car and away ... doesn't get much faster than that... 555

Enjoy...
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    if only an overnight bag i'd do the train thing....some of the locals that use it don't scrub up too bad
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arliss Michaels View Post
    Airportlink is easy, cheap about 50b, but if you arrive early morning you will catch peak hour travellers heading to city and gets packed, but in saying that if you get a seat from the get go it is not really a problem
    Certainly cheap.
    I did it with g4orce a few years back.
    Not fun carrying bags, and partners bags down the steps and down Soi 4.

Train fastest, even if you then grab a taxi from Makassan ... avoids taxi queues and traffic snarls + bonus eye candy as Moo says.

I've found the best combinations of train or shuttle bus [between airports] and taxi depending on time of day and baggage. With carry-on, especially wheeled, trains and buses are great for peak-time travel, usually faster than dirty, smelly old taxis. Cost hardly comes into the equation.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Train quick and easy, did it last week, beginning of Soi 11 is v. close to Nana BTS station. If I plan to use the train, I pick my hotel accordingly and have a stack of fav. hotels near the BTS stations. Last time I stayed at Asok, get off at Makassan then one more stop on MRT to station under Terminal 21, easy as.

Cadet Gold
    I will be arriving Friday lunch time, staying for 3 nights while most of my kit remains in the hotel in Samui, then returning Monday lunch time. Might give the train a go.

Cadet Gold
    Am I right in thinking I would have to get the City Link to Makkasan, then walk to Phetchaburi to get the BTS to Asok, then walk up Sukhumvit to the hotel Soi 13?

Taxi is starting to sound a lot easier...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    Certainly cheap.
    I did it with g4orce a few years back.
    Not fun carrying bags, and partners bags down the steps and down Soi 4.
    You are right QS some stations still no lift or dual escalators a right royal pain in the arse if you have luggage as well, but still gets you point A to B fairly quickly.

Always found the eye candy on BTS far better for some reason
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    wannabe, its a bit of a pain, but the BTS and MRT are very efficient, its better than sitting in a traffic jam. Your plan is not quite correct, off at Makkasan which is adjacent to the underground (MRT) Phetchaburi to Sukumvit Station, walk upstairs to BTS Asok, then catch it to Nana, right outside Soi 13.

Last edited by briofoz; 18th May 2015 at 02:00.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    Am I right in thinking I would have to get the City Link to Makkasan, then walk to Phetchaburi to get the BTS to Asok, then walk up Sukhumvit to the hotel Soi 13?

Taxi is starting to sound a lot easier...
    No, have a look at a map, for you get off at Paya Thai and catch BTS to Nana.

Cadet Gold
    OK, thanks fellas. Think I will stick with an air conditioned taxi and a couple of Changs.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Something else to note... there are 2 (or were) types of trains on the airport line... A fast service and a slow service... The fast one runs xpress to Phaya Thai the other, all stations.. I did it a year or 2 back just for the hell of it, and it was good.... With only carry on it is a great option during daylight, when the road traffic is heavy

I think, I read somewhere, that they had withdrawn some of the train sets from the Airport Line. I don't know if they have returned them...
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

^ I'm not sure if the Express train is still running.