Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MBK Shopping Complex

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar

MBK Shopping Complex

I just had mate comes back from their SE Asia tour and they have told me how disappointed they were with Thailand this time around. My Mate and his GF had both been to Bangkok and has told me how much everything had changed in a year since I was there last. One thing that was mentioned was that MBK was totally different and they could no longer Barter in there... Could this be because it was High season when they went?

Has anyone experienced this for themselves while in MBK recently? I was told the layout was totally different also. I will be needed to do a lot of shopping in BKK as Noy will be coming back with me to Australia and will be right in the middle of winter. I know that Thai People get better prices then Farang so am I better off giving her the money and letting her do her own shopping? Of will this not make a difference?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    You wont get that much at MBK in the way of winter stuff anyway, better off going to Paragon (I'm pretty sure thats what its called) "the fashion capitol"... more womens clothing with a huge range of winter stuff... we also went to Bo Bao tower 10 floors of bargain shopping (this place actually feeds MBK as it is a bulk buy place)... And if you can plan to be in BKK on a Sunday there is JJ Market (10 times bigger than caribbean market) they sell a lot of western goods here at a good price... MBK is for the non adventurist tourist who gets their travel tips by looking at the glossy mags...

I will make sure I google these places and try to get to them. I know in the past you have mentioned the 10 floor place but did not remember the name, otherwise I was told by other that MBK would be the best bet... But that was on the Mongering Forum I guess so they have no interest in shopping 555

The only thing I have ever bought from MBK is a pair of shoes and food... And I've been there countless times

MBK Food Court is fabulous, cheap too. The IT/phone level is ok - had my Nokia repaired there for 350 baht.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I just had mate comes back from their SE Asia tour and they have told me how disappointed they were with Thailand this time around. My Mate and his GF had both been to Bangkok and has told me how much everything had changed in a year since I was there last. One thing that was mentioned was that MBK was totally different and they could no longer Barter in there... Could this be because it was High season when they went?

Has anyone experienced this for themselves while in MBK recently? I was told the layout was totally different also. I will be needed to do a lot of shopping in BKK as Noy will be coming back with me to Australia and will be right in the middle of winter. I know that Thai People get better prices then Farang so am I better off giving her the money and letting her do her own shopping? Of will this not make a difference?
    Give Noy the money and let her go off by herself.

Last trip Ning got angry because she wasn't getting a bargain or any discounts because she had a farang by her side. I said fine see you later. It was a win win for all as I hate shopping, Ning got bargains and I saved money

Foundation Member Platinum Condo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    MBK Food Court is fabulous, cheap too. The IT/phone level is ok - had my Nokia repaired there for 350 baht.
    I agree, I love that food court and could eat there all day.

I know in the past I liked the food court there had some good and cheap food and I know I was in Thailand but I enjoyed the Sizzler as well 555(I was with some guys who refused to eat Thai...). I had no issues buying things there for myself but I have not looked for things for a TG. I like the idea of giving her the money and letting wounder. I will stay by the pool at the Hotel

I actually need to get my Phone repaired so i will take it there and give it a shot. Thanks Rob

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Go get a soapy while Noy shops ... you know you wanna! 555

Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Go get a soapy while Noy shops ... you know you wanna! 555
    Sure want to, but just could not bring myself to do it... The threat is she will cut off and eating... :S

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Sure want to, but just could not bring myself to do it... The threat is she will cut off and eating... :S
    As long as you keep the chilli peppers away she won't touch it... they hate bland food.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

I am an overthinker so If I was to do it I could not get it out of my head and would end up eating at me to the point i would have to say something and then I would be too scared to sleep at night.....

escapingcanuck
    You've really got to watch MBK, especially the phone purchases repairs. I've seen some purchases go south very quickly, and repairs I've seen have been borderline to shoddy. If you are getting a nokia phone repaired it is just as well to get it fixed at the Nokia care shop on Ratchadapeisek at (IIRC) the Esplanade mall, just by the TCC stn.

I've got a question about the Food Court. I went to the MBK site, and I could not believe how HUGE this place is! I'm sure Nui and I could wander around in there all day. 555 So I was looking for the Food Court that has been mentioned, and I see that Floor 1 has something they call the Food Corner, while Floor 5 has an International Food Hall, and Floor 6 has the Food Center. I seem to recall Captain Rob saying it was on the bottom floor?

I personally hate shopping, but I thought I'd need to replace Nui's bag right away, especially if she is planning on using the same one, as it was falling apart on the last trip. Figured a few nice items of clothing for her would be a nice way to start the trip as well, tho would likely find better deals in the open air markets. I would like to get her one outfit a little dressy she would wear if we hit some upscale restaurants. Most of her stuff is of the hotpants and t-shirt variety, and her dresses were the cheaper ones from a sidewalk vendor on the Suk.

Any tips would be much appreciated! 555

there is the Platinum Fashion mall, the fashion capitol of the world.... spent a few hours being dragged around there 5555 its right next to Panthip

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    there is the Platinum Fashion mall, the fashion capitol of the world.... spent a few hours being dragged around there 5555 its right next to Panthip
    This is a total BKK newb you're talking to here PBB! 555 What or where is Panthip??

This is a total BKK newb you're talking to here PBB! 555 What or where is Panthip??
    Pantip is like a computer/electonic superstore
    Pantip Plaza Bangkok - IT Malls - could be a handy website

I'm sure like my GF your GF will have that natural ability to sniff out fashion and a bargain

Thanks PBB, I'll look for Platinum Fashion Mall, sounds good. Can you confirm the location of which floor of MBK the food court is on?

Foundation Member Platinum Annie's Avatar
    Thanks PBB, I'll look for Platinum Fashion Mall, sounds good. Can you confirm the location of which floor of MBK the food court is on?
    Yes we will be interested in this too. Notes taken on best food suggestions too, although you won't need that vanguy. Nui will have that sussed in no time I expect.
    Last edited by Annie; 7th May 2011 at 08:38.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast