Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rivo
  • 1 Post By Rivo

Thread: A Daytrip to Doi Inthanon

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

A Daytrip to Doi Inthanon

Back in January 2011 a friend of mine and myself decided to ride our Honda Clicks down to Doi Inthanon(ดอยอินทนนท์) with our TG's. We were advised that our bikes especially being two up would not make it to the top of the mountain, we thought we will see how far we could get, worse comes to worse they would cerntainly go down the mountain 555.

A bit of history,The mountain was also known in the past as Doi Luang (meaning big mountain) or Doi Ang Ka, meaning the crow's pond top. Near the mountain's base was a pond where many crows gathered. The name Doi Inthanon was given in honour of the king Inthawichayanon, one of the last kings of Chiang Mai, who was concerned about the forests in the north and tried to preserve them. He ordered that after his death his remains shall be placed at Doi Luang, which was then renamed.

Doi Inthanon is to the west of Chiang Mai. Take Route 108 out of Chiang Mai, then between the towns of Khuang Pao and Chom Thong, turn right into Route 1009 which goes all the way to Doi Inthanon.

I think it was at Chom Thong where we turned right, we stopped at the roadhouse for lunch, make sure you fuel up here as not much more in the way of facilities and fuel up the mountain.

I will let the pictures show you the trip..........

Signposts down on the highway were clear

Thats our bikes at the service station 555

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

It was about 130pm when we left our lunch spot to head up the mountain, I think it was a couple of hours ride from Cnaing Mia to here, in hindsight you should be here about 10am to get the most of the day and include some waterfalls, but when you are traveling with TG's an early start is not easy 555

Once you go through the security gates at the bottom of the mountain you have to cough up 200Baht for us Falang and 20Baht for TG, no problem. We noticed the vehicles on the road were very courteous, mainly utes, taxis and other bikes. On the way up the mountain we stopped at a village, was starting to cool down here as the photo's will show......

Lucky we had our interpreters with us from now on, all signs in Thai now..........

Well our little Honda Motorbikes made it to the top, on the steepest pinches my bike slowed down to 7Kmh, my mate is alot lighter than me and he could slow down and get behind us then overtake again, he enjoyed doing this and was laughing his head off each time, he could maintain 12Kmh. 555

We were at the top at around 330pm from memory, the temples and gardens at the top were stunning, it was like being in the mountains in NZ or Canada, was 11 degrees and sunny the day we were there.

This Japanese girl had a Wabbits Hat on 555

The ride down the mountain was alot faster than going up 555, many pokes in the ribs with cha cha cha 555, had to stop halfway back to CM for a drink, had no clear glasses with me for riding, had to squint most of the way back to the Raming Hotel where we were staying, got home about 830pm 555

We both will be back in CM next month(August) and plan to head up there again, maybe bigger bikes this time 555

I am interested to see the changes to the mountains as this will be rainy season, I will report back with a few more pics, and we will get to the waterfalls this time. 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Fantastic!!!
    You can see why the king wanted the area preserved.

Great photo's as usual Rivo.

love the roofline of the white building in the 4th last photo.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    love the roofline of the white building in the 4th last photo.
    That building is the top of the (indoor) escalator.

If you go up again on a bigger bike Rivo, be sure to get a photo at the highest point. it's a couple of k's past the Royal Chedis.

It's a great ride up there on a big bike and you'll have more time to explore the waterfalls etc up there.

inthanon.jpgInthanon3.jpginthanon2.jpg

I will make sure I get a picture at that sign Norabunga, just keep riding up the hill you say, we went a little higher to the helipad, was getting a bit late by then, how do you get TG's out of bed early, thats our biggest problem 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    I will make sure I get a picture at that sign Norabunga, just keep riding up the hill you say, we went a little higher to the helipad, was getting a bit late by then, how do you get TG's out of bed early, thats our biggest problem 555
    You coax them out with food!! 555

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    It's impossible to get TGs out of bed early, just hire a faster bike :-) or leave them behind. I reckon it's much more fun without a pillion.

The road ends at a military communication thingy about 4 km further up the road from the Chedis. There's a carpark, a coffee/ souvenir shop and of course, the sign.

Watchirathan waterfall is worth a visit too. It's on the RHS on the way up, not far from the turn off at Chomtong.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Great travelogue Rivo! I'm not a biker, so Nui and I will be heading up there with a guide on July 31st ... crossing my fingers and hoping the weather is even close to the sunny day you had there. Love the pics, they are first quality. You have a gift. I was a bit iffy on the Doi Inthanon Tour, but Sasi, my tour agent in CM I've been working with, really recommended it. After seeing your pics, I'm really excited now about heading up there. I'll be taking some pics as well, but I'm nowhere near the photographer you are!! 555
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Thanks for the nice words VG, I like photography but in no way am an expert, all my pictures are with a Point and Shoot set on Auto 555

I have just bought a new camera for this trip, but still only a P & S, I would love an SLR but cant be bothered carrying one.

Nothing wrong with a guide on a tour, should be great, just dont be afraid to tell them to stop if you see something interesting, might mean nothing to them but different for you and you want a pic, yes Inthanon is a must if you are in CM, I will be going again, great to get out and about. Nui will like the temple up there, you can have a look around and inside is beautiful.

Here is a couple of pics of inside....

wabbits likes this.

I found a pic of the gatehouse were you have to pay, there is one right at the bottom of the Mountain where we paid and this one is halfway up, so those that try to avoid the bottom of the mountain checkpoint get caught at the second one, if you show your ticket here they wave you through 555

Here is the Post Box if you want to post a letter from there........

Even the locals get cold.............

wabbits likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    It's impossible to get TGs out of bed early, just hire a faster bike :-) or leave them behind. I reckon it's much more fun without a pillion.
    I think you might be right Norabunga.

I have been thinking about this daytrip as I have been posting the pics and I just remembered my TG went the whole day without putting her helmet on, not until the sun went down and it got cooler, she carried it on her arm all day. I said to her put your helmet on and she laughed - not raining, I say maybe we have crash - no crash you good with motorbike, you know road like thai man, she said that because I was the only one of us 4 that could get us back to the hotel 555

Still fun getting lost though, you see alot more 555