Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rivo

Thread: The White Temple in Chiang Rai

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

The White Temple in Chiang Rai

Last trip when I was up in Chiang Mai I hired a car and headed north to Chiang Rai for a couple of days with my TG, I wanted to get up to Chiang Rai to see this temple when I was up in CM in January but didnt find the time, they do run a day trip from CM up there daily but I dont think you would get to see everything, I dont like being rushed 555

Heres a bit about the place - White Temple (วัดร่องขุ่น Wat Rong Khun), located at Ban Rong Khun, Tambon Pa O Don Chai, along Phahonyothin roadside at Km. 816, approximately 13 km from the city. This unique modern temple was designed and built by artist Chaloemchai Khositphiphat starting in 1998. A beautiful white ordination hall Phra Ubosot - is decorated with silver glittering pieces of mirrors. There are large mural paintings of the Lord Buddha in different gestures. A gable is decorated with a gable apex, a leaf-shaped gable-edging in the shapes of Phya Naga, dragon and mythical creatures, which are entirely made of white stucco. There are viharn, small hall for recitation surrounding the ordination hall, museum and reception pavilion. The gallery exhibits paintings of Chaloemchai Khositphiphat. Posters, drawing albums and T-shirts can be purchased. Work on the temple continues to this day, and it is not expected to be completed for the next few decades.

The car I hired was a little Honda, great little car and I paid 1000Baht per day, driving the 180km to Chiang Rai was easy and great country side to view, good for look as my girl often says, heres some of the country side -

Here is my little Honda

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Stunning would be the word I would use to describe this Temple, wasnt a perfect day for photo's, a bit overcast.

Free admission and no asking for money was a pleasant feeling.

Heres the pic,s

Last edited by Rivo; 27th August 2011 at 10:54.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I loved Wat Rong Khun, I would have to say it is my favourite looking temple I have seen. I would even go back again in the future. It is very different but Suoy Maak... I can;t see the photos as i am at work but i am sure they look great as well. I will look when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    I loved Wat Rong Khun, I would have to say it is my favourite looking temple I have seen. I would even go back again in the future. It is very different but Suoy Maak... I can;t see the photos as i am at work but i am sure they look great as well. I will look when I get home
    The best I have seen in LOS so far G4orce, I took may pictures from different angles 555

I will add my photos if you have not covered the whole thing 555 and what about that Toilet.... I never thought about driving to CR from CM. I took the bus, Was it an easy drive?

I never thought about driving to CR from CM. I took the bus, Was it an easy drive?
    Very easy drive, just ignore your TG's directions and you will get there 555

I actually kept going up to Mai Sai then down to the Golden Triangle, great drive with plenty of sign posts, much better drive than I expected.

Here some more pic's

And some more 555

So what do you do once you have your perfect White Temple, you go and build a gold one nextdoor, already under construction it looks as stunning as the white one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Very easy drive, just ignore your TG's directions and you will get there 555

I actually kept going up to Mai Sai then down to the Golden Triangle, great drive with plenty of sign posts, much better drive than I expected.
    I must be lucky, Noy is great with directions. I got lost in CM on my MB and pulled over to talk to a Tuk Tuk driver who talked to her on the phone and she sent ended up directing me back to somewhere she knew and then met me there 555. She was even good at directing me down here to my mates or something, If she had been there once she was fine. Most of the signs I saw in that area were in Thai with No English...

Noy must be the exception, every TG I know his the opposite we go left here when it should be right 555

Still my fault when we get lost 555

A couple of weeks ago I was with my mate from Aus up in CM, we both had our TG's on the back, we were unsure which way to head at a T junction, we stop and talk to a local man for 10 minutes, off we go for about 300m and come to another T, ask the girls which way now, what him say, not for here, ask for back there 555

My girl says left turn, so I go right and then see a sign Chiang Mai 23km, yeah I think this way too she says 555555
    G4orce likes this.

A couple of weeks ago I was with my mate from Aus up in CM, we both had our TG's on the back, we were unsure which way to head at a T junction, we stop and talk to a local man for 10 minutes, off we go for about 300m and come to another T, ask the girls which way now, what him say, not for here, ask for back there 555
    My mate says to his TG, you just speak to man for 10min and we go 300m and not know where to go now ? WTF you talk to man about ?

She says back to my mate "him say Chiang Mai this way, that all him say" 555

My mate says to his TG, you just speak to man for 10min and we go 300m and not know where to go now ? WTF you talk to man about ?

She says back to my mate "him say Chiang Mai this way, that all him say" 555
    Gotta love em'. I know Noy is the same, she will talk to someone for a good amount of time and when I ask what they talked about, I get a one sentance responce 555.
    Last edited by G4orce; 27th August 2011 at 14:28. Reason: me changed to em' - spelling error again...

Gotta love me.

I think you are lacking confidence G4orce, you shy man ? 5555555

I think I would call it lacking the will to stay awake and concerntrate 555, I meant gotta love em' 5555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Noy must be the exception, every TG I know his the opposite we go left here when it should be right 555

Still my fault when we get lost 555

My girl says left turn, so I go right and then see a sign Chiang Mai 23km, yeah I think this way too she says 555555
    I also get this. She says turn left so I do and then asks why you go this way it is the wrong way like I am the dill.55555
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    So what do you do once you have your perfect White Temple, you go and build a gold one nextdoor, already under construction it looks as stunning as the white one.
    Actually, that beautiful golden temple, is actually the world's most beautiful "hung nam" (public toilet) ...

Notice the signs on the front ....

Our guide says she has seen Thai tourists from Bangkok kneeling outside it to pray ... and didn't have the nerve to tell them they were praying to the toilet!! 55555

I loved the White Temple as well ... I've got a lot of pics to add, but I think I'll include them in my TR for that day's trip.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]