Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Is Chiang Mai becoming the 'Gold Coast' of Thailand?

Is Chiang Mai becoming the 'Gold Coast' of Thailand?

CM is growing fast!

There are countless new housing estates under development - one of the largest, most ambitious, is Serenity Lakes, just south of CNX airport. These estates, or mooban's, are well designed security complexes and new home packages start at ~ 1.9mBt.

CM has a well planned 3-ring road system and access to all shopping and other facilities is easy. There are many new large retail developments also under construction or being planned.

Visit this site - CLICK HERE - for artists impressions AND actual photos of some of the projects.

Note: CM is already well serviced with BigC's (3), TescoLotus superstores (2), Tops Supermarkets (3), and Rimping Supermarkes (3). And those are just the ones within 10/15 minutes drive.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    I'm certainly considering retirement there.
    My plans were to rent because;

a) I'm very wary of investing in LOS
    b) If plans change, it's easier to move or bail out completely.

If things are going to boom like everyone seems to think do you think buying a property would be a good medium term investment?

I'm a bit sceptical of the viability of all these shopping mall plans. Some of the upper levels of Central Kad Suan Keaw and Pantip Plaza are virtual ghost towns.
    I guess all these new places are on ring roads so don't have the same access problems.

There's more info here about all the planned shopping mall developments.

City News Chiang Mai

As long as they have meter maids, I'm there...555

Attachment 1748
    wabbits and Quarky like this.
    I won the sperm-egg lottery. Invest wisely, spend carefully and give generously.

Hua Hin felt like the Gold Coast from my childhood. Long expanse of sand, lots of high rises yet big spaces in between occupied by older single and double story houses, and sh!tty footpaths.
    I won the sperm-egg lottery. Invest wisely, spend carefully and give generously.

luv u long time
    I hope its not going to explode like HKT. i like CM probably because of the reasons most you expats moved up there which is because its not so much as a tourist trap as Patong or Pattyay for eg. I like to go up there to break up my trip just to relax and the scenery is amazing. Most importantly the the people smile and i could be wrong but its a warm sincere smile not the "wonder how much he's worth smile"...

Im nt retiring for a while yet but id love to one day spent a decent amount of time in LOS without a leave date but if i did i think i would stick to renting like Norabunga if ****e does hit the fan i can relocate..

I could be wrong so dont quote me on it.
    G4orce likes this.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NamTanMot View Post
    Hua Hin felt like the Gold Coast from my childhood. Long expanse of sand, lots of high rises yet big spaces in between occupied by older single and double story houses, and sh!tty footpaths.
    That's mostly if not completely gone now...Sounds like Jontien a you go south much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    I'm certainly considering retirement there.
    My plans were to rent because;

a) I'm very wary of investing in LOS
    b) If plans change, it's easier to move or bail out completely.

If things are going to boom like everyone seems to think do you think buying a property would be a good medium term investment?

I'm a bit sceptical of the viability of all these shopping mall plans. Some of the upper levels of Central Kad Suan Keaw and Pantip Plaza are virtual ghost towns.
    I guess all these new places are on ring roads so don't have the same access problems.
    I doubt that buying property anywhere in Thailand constitutes a good investment, though I'd pick CM ahead of most other locations due to several factors.

1./ CM has become the preferred location for southern Thais to invest or retire/relocate due to major flood devastation in BKK and other southern provinces. It's almost impossible to sell BKK flood-affected properties and those who have the ability to borrow are buying up big, in CM. All new 2 bed condo units have sold off the plan to southern Thai's. Personally, I'd be happy to buy a 2-bed Condo such as in UniqueNimman, at ~ 4 mil +, alas all were sold long ago. We mayl look for a rental there.

2./ CM has a superb climate and lifestyle. The ring-roads are superb. Bangkok is a nightmare and stifling hot, never mind flood-prone! Many industries are located here: food, household goods and clothing + it's the fruit bowl of Thailand and a major tourist destination.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

There's more info here about all the planned shopping mall developments.

City News Chiang Mai
    Good find Nora..
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by luv u long time View Post
    I hope its not going to explode like HKT. i like CM probably because of the reasons most you expats moved up there which is because its not so much as a tourist trap as Patong or Pattyay for eg. I like to go up there to break up my trip just to relax and the scenery is amazing. Most importantly the the people smile and i could be wrong but its a warm sincere smile not the "wonder how much he's worth smile"...

Im nt retiring for a while yet but id love to one day spent a decent amount of time in LOS without a leave date but if i did i think i would stick to renting like Norabunga if ****e does hit the fan i can relocate..

I could be wrong so dont quote me on it.
    CM's not exploding as a tourist town, almost the opposite now, imho.

New housing developments are in the billions of baht sphere, as big or bigger than Sanctuary Cove, Robina and similar Gold Coast developments. Thai MONEY, the BIG MONEY, is investing here.

You can buy in at entry level ... circa 2 mil, or rent! RENT is safe for expats earning 3 to 5% on savings ... income pays the rent!
    Cheers, Rob.

Can you recommend a good website for rental properties Kaptain?

And are the quoted prices generally inflated?

I can't recommend any but here's a couple I've been browsing.

Chiang Mai Properties : Real Estate Rental, Sale, Renovation and Management

Chiang Mai House - Largest Real Estate Property Listings in Chiang Mai

And one more

I don't know about the prices being inflated but they're usually negotiable. I know that Loop (from PI) negotiated the rental being asked for his place down by about 2,000/month iirc
    Last edited by Norabunga; 30th May 2012 at 23:25.
    NamTanMot likes this.

I can't recommend any but here's a couple I've been browsing.

Chiang Mai Properties : Real Estate Rental, Sale, Renovation and Management

Chiang Mai House - Largest Real Estate Property Listings in Chiang Mai

And one more

I don't know about the prices being inflated but they're usually negotiable. I know that Loop (from PI) negotiated the rental being asked for his place down by about 2,000/month iirc
    Chiang Mai Properties are pretty good, at least the Chang Klan branch is. Jasmine also > Land and house for sale and rent in Chiang Mai - Jasmine Homes Co Ltd - Chiang Mai Homes

Generally, rentals are negotiable for a LONG lease, more than 6 months OR an out-of-town location. Lew's a baagwan at best of times
    NamTanMot likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Chiang Mai Properties are pretty good, at least the Chang Klan branch is. Jasmine also > Land and house for sale and rent in Chiang Mai - Jasmine Homes Co Ltd - Chiang Mai Homes

Generally, rentals are negotiable for a LONG lease, more than 6 months OR an out-of-town location. Lew's a baagwan at best of times
    Beautiful 3 bed, 3 bath home with a pool on a big block for the price of a sh!tty 1 bedroom apartment in Melbourne!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NamTanMot View Post
    Beautiful 3 bed, 3 bath home with a pool on a big block for the price of a sh!tty 1 bedroom apartment in Melbourne!!!
    Yep. Makes you sick, huh?
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Only related in a small way , but the BIG MONEY is apparently flowing into Australia!

As you may know , Yingluk has been in Australia.
    The trade minister pointed out that the Thais now have 5 billion invested in Australia , while the Australians only have 2.8 billion invested in Thailand.

I dunno if CM is becoming a GC... but it certainly looks cheap.
    There is a tiny ( neat) 1 bedroom cottage around the corner... maybe 350 sq mtr of land.
    3.8 million baht is the starting price....

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Only related in a small way , but the BIG MONEY is apparently flowing into Australia!

As you may know , Yingluk has been in Australia.
    The trade minister pointed out that the Thais now have 5 billion invested in Australia , while the Australians only have 2.8 billion invested in Thailand.

I dunno if CM is becoming a GC... but it certainly looks cheap.
    There is a tiny ( neat) 1 bedroom cottage around the corner... maybe 350 sq mtr of land.
    3.8 million baht is the starting price....
    On Bangwan? The one next to ours, end of Soi Bangmud, was worth around 4mil according to Dodger.

It's all relative to location ... a big 2-storey house, 4 bed/3bath opposite our Condo is f/s @ 11mil. 600m from Airport, Hospitals, CMU, Nimmenhaeman ... can walk to old city. 15 mins drive out to the north (Sansai) and same thing is ~2.9 in a new estate.
    Last edited by kaptainrob; 31st May 2012 at 11:27.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Yup.
    And you are correct about the kitchens on offer up your way , they are an afterthought at best ( I just perused the sales links)

"Whats a slab of concrete with a hole cut into it at the backdoor of a house called?"
    "In CM?....A kitchen!"

Funny , a kitchen like they offer is more appropriate to the weather down here.

The only kitchen I need in CM is somewhere to make a coffee first thing in the morning.
    Why cook when there's great food available everywhere. Cheap too.

Lew's kitchen is interesting. It's a separate building with a covered breezeway between it and the house. Great for cooking stinky fish
    luv u long time likes this.

The only kitchen I need in CM is somewhere to make a coffee first thing in the morning.
    Why cook when there's great food available everywhere. Cheap too.

Lew's kitchen is interesting. It's a separate building with a covered breezeway between it and the house. Great for cooking stinky fish
    You are quite correct. With Jo away all this week I go walkies, for exercise, to a location of choice - KSK 'food factory', or Nimmenhaeman - and buy a yummy meal at up to 70 Bt. Yesterday it was stewed pork on rice with mustard pickle 35 Bt. I had a Yamazaki 14 Bt donut for dessert.

The advantage is 4-fold. No mess to clean up; good exercise; cheaper than making at home ; eye-candy to aid digestion. KSK and AirportPlaza have excellent aids to digestion... I may have roast duck today, extra 7 bt with a boiled duck egg on top ... 42 Bt.

Jo and I love cooking at home for evening meals, though it costs more, we cook to our taste with fresh hygienically prepared meat and vegetables. Jo's a top cook but stinky fish frying is definitely banned.
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast