Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kaptainrob

Thread: Chiang Mai Airport/Airforce base shortcut

Chiang Mai Airport/Airforce base shortcut

Anyone residing in CM for a period of months or more will know what a PITA it is to travel, by car, north and south around the moat at certain times of the day.... especially midday and most of Saturday.

One may apply for and obtain a windscreen sticker to enable passage through the Airforce Base, between Suthep Road and Mahidol Rd/Central Airport Plaza. Cost is 65 baht.

A 15 - 20 minute trip turns into 5 minutes ... best of all it provides a 3rd 'short-cut' in times of accident/flood type congestion to or from CNX.

We asked the MP on duty where to go for the Base-Pass and were directed to a green Admin building near the Base petrol station. Supply the usual copies of personal ID, Blue Book and complete a form - 3 days later one may return to collect a personalised sticker.

CM local government would dearly like permanent access thru the Base to complete the inner ring road. One day ... maybe???
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Suave
    Hi, this is my first post. I have tried to ask the MP at either gate about getting a sticker but they just tell me no and send me away. Any idea why ? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Suave View Post
    Hi, this is my first post. I have tried to ask the MP at either gate about getting a sticker but they just tell me no and send me away. Any idea why ? thanks
    Do you speak Thai or have a TG who can speak to the MP? Ask to be directed to Admin, on business, to the green building just north of the petrol station. Upon entering Admin, turn right and it's the last door on left, knock and request a car pass. You'll be given a form to complete and will require the prerequisite ID photocopies, of course, but it's straight forward.... go back 2 days later and collect your mb or car sticker.

It's a huge time-saver in peak times and saves the double-back around moat roads.
    Spot likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suave View Post
    Welcome to the board Mr Suave I see KR has looked after you already.

Make yourself at home.

Suave
    Well it seems top have worked this time. Pick mine up tomorrow, woohoo. I really like that short cut. Thanks.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Another proposed new road...

FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

^ old news and even older map. The one I drew up has more ppl talking ... lol.

NB: Wing41 passes for next year are being processed now.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Not like the place doesn't need some new roads though?
    Peak traffic is pretty bad here now.
    There's a new underpass going in for the north-south section of 107 to Mae Rim at the 121 intersection that has turned there into a no go zone until it's done.

Another new underpass planned on the superhighway for the 1001 intersection.

I used the new canal road extension to just north of Chom Thong last month and had a great run as it was just about deserted. Managed 140k's/hr for most of it.

Another new link from the 1001 Phrao to the 107 north of Mae Rim to alleviate traffic from Mae Rim hardly used too.

Hang Dong road bedlam in peak, mainly because the underpass at the middle ring road runs east-west and not north-south were the bulk of the traffic goes 55
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

You're right about our local underpass running the wrong way. Plus they could easily open up to 3 lanes for U-turning traffic. Peak hour Clearways would help enormously like they've done on Suthep Road past the hospitals.

I note some road improvement being made with realignment of centre-line in narrow soi's and airport main entry road now one-way south.
    Cheers, Rob.