The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: North Thailand cold spell and weather in general

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/108...rth-northeast/

A few mates who wish to remain anonymous asked me to post this.
    I believe that anonymous mates are acceptable verification.
    Last edited by Norabunga; 11th February 2019 at 16:02.
    PeteGill likes this.

Chiang Mai haze a little worse today and A/Q at ~102 ppm in old city this afternoon ... had risen steadily since 0700 but should drop back as dust settles overnight. T'was a nice day and blue sky still overhead, no major smoke yet.

Lamphun always seems to record higher readings despite being only 50 kms south.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

This morning is overcast and very hazy with smoke brought in from the west by strong high level winds. Those same icy cold winds (@ 5000m) has created an inversion layer trapping the smog. At ground level it's still, no wind, 24c and 67% humidity. Most AQ stations are in the red. visibility is 11km.

Can't smell the smoke, can't see blue sky either, but with an inversion layer it may only worsen.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Chiang Mai Air Pollution: Real-time PM2.5 Air Quality Index (AQI)

Time to leave I think. That's exactly what my missus will do tomorrow. Off to Aus and some clean air. I don't think I'll be too far behind her.

Same same every year. All talk but nothing happens.
    The ONLY difference I've noticed in 10 years is now SOME corn waste is being bagged and shipped somewhere instead of being burnt. More and more forest clearing for agriculture on steep mountainsides, especially in Nan province.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ tis a pity.
    the one big drawback about the place for me.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

AQ deteriorated with the day as high level warmer westerlies swept across from India and Myanmar. Still no smell of smoke so it must be purely air borne particles and dust. Visibility is reduced to around 7 km and gray sky overhead. Personally it doesn't bother me but I'm off downunder tomoz anyway ...
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    AQ deteriorated with the day as high level warmer westerlies swept across from India and Myanmar. Still no smell of smoke so it must be purely air borne particles and dust. Visibility is reduced to around 7 km and gray sky overhead. Personally it doesn't bother me but I'm off downunder tomoz anyway ...
    I never noticed any smell or smoke scent yesterday or today in rides out beyond Saraphi and Hang Dong. I never wear a mask. I did see the haze today, though. And, it has certainly warmed up in the afternoon.

Seems a popular misconception that surgical masks are designed to filter air which they aren't.
    Rivo likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Seems a popular misconception that surgical masks are designed to filter air which they aren't.
    I understand that and it is why I never wear a mask unless I'm at a grinder throwing up particles. You certainly see lots of people in Chiang Mai wearing them even on a brilliant blue sky day.

Chiang Mai not as bad as Sydney yesterday 555

And I'll be flying thru that enormous dust cloud over the Tasman shortly ...

CM this morning @ 91 ppm - moderate.

Cheers, Rob.

Burning off in near by countries, oops, I mean states.

Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    Burning off in near by countries, oops, I mean states.
    No, that was pure dust .... carried some good old pests and unwanted seeds to nz with it too. 55

Its disappointing when reporters (ie The Nation) were once again trouncing CM as 3rd most polluted after India and Pakistan when in fact upper level winds from Mongolia (and India) were carrying smog across much of northern Thailand. It was especially noticeable at 35,000 ft over the central regions where it doesn't usually and trap lower level smoke.

Local dust and forest fires added to this but they infer it's AlLL local pollution. As you know, CM produces very little industrial smog like Mumbai or Lahore so why draw misleading comparisons without background facts?
    Cheers, Rob.

i'm of the opinion that smoke,dust and smog becomes trapped in the north and around CM and comes from the whole SE Asia region.

2012 i decided it was too much for me so i rode my bike up to Pai to get away from it and the heat for a while only to find it was just as bad up there and went home again after a night or 2 there. the lovely mountain view from the resort i stay at up there wasn't visible and the heat just as bad or worse.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Its been incredibly windy of a morning down here of late - Its been windy for a month , but Ive never seen such gusts here before as occurs around 10am every day.
    The washing goes over , and downstairs has leaves and dust everywhere.
    The sky is very clear , but the sun is starting to burn... IMO the suns strength is well more intense than February in previous years.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Yes..unseasonably windy here as well for the past 2-3 weeks...we are still getting some great body surfing days down at Chaweng Noi..I've had 3 good body bashes in the last 4 days down there...good fun exercise
    Chob likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    The weather in Bangkok is gorgeous today by the river

A bit hot outside on the street but nice breeze and as you can see, clear as can be
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rivo likes this.

Like that here today. Only 4 degrees currently though... could reach double figures later. Great for February.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    i'm of the opinion that smoke,dust and smog becomes trapped in the north and around CM and comes from the whole SE Asia region.

2012 i decided it was too much for me so i rode my bike up to Pai to get away from it and the heat for a while only to find it was just as bad up there and went home again after a night or 2 there. the lovely mountain view from the resort i stay at up there wasn't visible and the heat just as bad or worse.
    Yes, it can come from any part of SEA but last weeks was brought in by high altitude westerlies which initially came down out of Mongolia and joined over the Anda man by a warmer Indian air stream. The latter will be what has influenced Chob's weather but being coastal HKT doesn't trap smoke like our valleys here in the north. You are correct in that the entire northern regions, including Laos and across to Vietnam suffer at varying degrees. On Wednesday the highest AQ reading of all was at Mae Rim, and naturally the news reports quoted that figure rather than the low 99ppm reading from Hang Dong.

Warm and humid in AKL.
    Cheers, Rob.

Auckland is best avoided Dec to March... spent the first half of my life in that horrible, horrible humidity... never got used to it...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Speaking of heat and humidity

Siem Reap was very hot
    But I felt a noticeable difference when I got off the plane in Bangkok

Bangkok seems to have that thick humidity that surrounds your body
    Chob likes this.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast