Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: North Thailand cold spell and weather in general

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    This morning at 7 AM was the first time this season in Chiang Mai that I could look directly at the sun and not blind myself. It is that smoky. It won't affect me much because I leave for Canada in two days time.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Here exactly the same for us ... I'd just kinda got used to a bit of cloud and today its blazing sun and 36c..

Still a few sea lice in the water as well ...bummer

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Here exactly the same for us ... I'd just kinda got used to a bit of cloud and today its blazing sun and 36c..

Still a few sea lice in the water as well ...bummer
    Perfect weather on the other side of the mountains, have been around 32 each day since I came back almost 2 weeks ago.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Looks like there is no immediate relief for Chiang Mai, is it as bad as the authorities are telling us ?

Chiang Mai for the fourth consecutive day ranked the world’s most air-polluted city, with an air quality index (AQI) score of 250 at 8.20am and 3.30 pm up to 309 on airvisual.com. (15/3/2019)

Chiang Mai has world’s worst air for fourth consecutive day
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

I just left Chiang Mai this morning and it is as smoky as reported. We couldn't even see the mountain when the plane took off at noon. Everyone is wearing masks. I won't be back again until November.
    Stillearly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Looks like there is no immediate relief for Chiang Mai, is it as bad as the authorities are telling us ?

Chiang Mai for the fourth consecutive day ranked the world’s most air-polluted city, with an air quality index (AQI) score of 250 at 8.20am and 3.30 pm up to 309 on airvisual.com. (15/3/2019)

Chiang Mai has world’s worst air for fourth consecutive day
    Kind of like NSW or Victoria during bush fires only without the strong wind changes to blow it away. It's a geographical anomaly exacerbated by bush fires during a very dry period. Bad, yes. I have no problem working all day outside but others do. The dry dusty earth kicked up by construction is like talcum powder and some Thai's don't know how to blow their nose ... they ingest and hawk it out ...
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Kind of like NSW or Victoria during bush fires only without the strong wind changes to blow it away. It's a geographical anomaly exacerbated by bush fires during a very dry period. Bad, yes. I have no problem working all day outside but others do. The dry dusty earth kicked up by construction is like talcum powder and some Thai's don't know how to blow their nose ... they ingest and hawk it out ...
    It's utterly amazing you can never just take something for what it is

Don't worry Rob, people won't think less of you because Chiang Mai is smoky as fuxk right now 5555
    Quarky likes this.

Meanwhile, Rob tells his guests to enjoy their meal and to soak up the ambience...

My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    It's utterly amazing you can never just take something for what it is

Don't worry Rob, people won't think less of you because Chiang Mai is smoky as fuxk right now 5555
    Huh? I just said it was bad didn't I?

No good complaining about it like many do, expecting Government to fix it. Perhaps they might install sprinklers across Chiang Mai province ... 55

Do you NOT understand what causes this smog? It's not industrial pollution and very little (this week) can be attributed to farmers burn off. It's from ~ 200 bush fires + airborne dust from the ground.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Huh? I just said it was bad didn't I?

No good complaining about it like many do, expecting Government to fix it. Perhaps they might install sprinklers across Chiang Mai province ... 55

Do you NOT understand what causes this smog? It's not industrial pollution and very little (this week) can be attributed to farmers burn off. It's from ~ 200 bush fires + airborne dust from the ground.
    It's a yearly occurrence. There is nothing keeping farang tourists from taking holidays elsewhere at this time of year. I would prefer that it doesn't happen, but it never really bothers me. I would not want to live many places on this globe at certain times of the year. I was quite happy riding my motorbike around Thailand in February when my friends in Canada were dealing with minus zero temperatures and a meter of snow.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Darn hot here ...around 35c here today ... but its an unusually dry heat , and it is very dry.
    Thalang area now has NO Water.

But I was surprised to see large puddles at Surin this morning - the staff at my favourite spot said it rained heavily for 30 minutes last nighjt..

Bring on The Wet !

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Here we had a dry Summer and less than average rain but when it did rain it was too torrential and caused bad floods.

Today we will be 32-34 and a chance of thunderstorms.

On Friday we had a mother of all storm in the afternoon and night it dropped something like 3-400mm on our development.

It had wind with it as well and a lot of building rubbish was washed or blown down the road and creeks. We cleaned it all up on monday morning, then.......Monday 2.30-3.15 it was a grey out... I couldn't see the park across the road.....Yes another clean up !!
    The sedimentation pond was 1/2 the height of Fridays so may have been as much as 150-200mm

On the Gold Coast a lot of peoples cars got flooded in the underground carparks.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

I promised my Canadian friends I would bring them some nice warm weather from Thailand home with me... and I kept my promise. I was out on my motorbike today and it was warm enough to ride comfortably. February set records for snow and Cold in BC, but it's been perfect since I got home.
    justcruzing1 likes this.

CM hit 36c outside at our place at 3pm with only 18% humidity .... that's dry as a nun's one! [Even now at 1830 hrs it's still 33.5/20%]

30c in the bedroom felt very cool, perfect for an afternoon nap under the fan.

Smoke cleared away to partially blue sky and by late pm I could see cumulonimbus clouds forming though NO rain was forthcoming. We remain hopeful.

Note: local authority bans (with heavy fines) on burning seem to be working and water trucks are spraying water on roads to lay dust. RTAF Wing41 have also been spraying water from ~ 300m.
    justcruzing1 and Ian Forbes like this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Smoke returned overnight with a vengeance. Visibility is approx 1 km, every bit as bad as 2012. Roll on songkran. .. And the rains.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    ^ That map shows how wide spread the smoke is Moo, looks terrible
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

A south easterly change cleared our skies this afternoon.
    Cheers, Rob.

A south easterly change cleared our skies this afternoon.
    That is good. Any sign of rain in the forecast?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    That is good. Any sign of rain in the forecast?
    No sign of rain this week... maybe next ...

Something is screwy with the AQ data - as at 0300 this morning the Night Bazaar reading is 182 whilst just south of Kamthieng Market (~1km away) it's showing 394 !!! I think someones stoked up a bbq for moo bing right below the sensor 555

If the light sou'easter prevails it may keep the smoke away but we're looking at a high of 38c I'm off to work as soon as light and whilst a cool 24.
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast