Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Our Ride to the Mae Ngat Dam

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

Our Ride to the Mae Ngat Dam

Seems so long ago now but it was only 4 months when I was up in Chiang Mai, always wanting to go and see the countryside we were recommended to have a look at the Mae Ngat dam which is about 60km north of Chiang Mai. This ride there is only Rivo and my mate from Oz, both with our TG's on the back of our Honda PCX 150's, I like many of the CM residents enjoy leaving the city through the countryside or mountains and just enjoying the scenery. the night before our ride I had a bit of a look on the internet so we knew what to expect, here what they say about Mae Ngat Dam :

The Sri Lanna National Park is situated in Chiang Mai province and is Thailand's sixth largest National Park.
    The Sri Lanna National Park covers an area of some 1,406 square km's and is bordered by Chiangdao district, Mae Tang and Phrao districts some 60km'sNorth of Chiang Mai.

Mae Ngat Dam was formed by the flooding of a large valley which formed a large reservoir with numerous tributaries reaching out into the surrounding jungle.

The lake is nestled between Mae Ngat and Mae Tang forestís which are an abundance of wildlife, flora and fauna and covers an area of 1,281 square km's. The surrounding jungles are a haven for various exotic and rarely seen wildlife and contain Wild Boar, Gibbons, Fishing Cats and Asian Black Bears.

In addition several spectacular waterfalls are found in the neighbouring forests most notably Mon Hin Lai waterfall in the Mae Ngat Forest.

Mae Ngat Dam is an extremely scenic destination with numerous bays, tributaries and islands present in its boundaries.

After we found the turnoff to the dam which was clearly marked on the highway it was time to fuel the bikes, always like a full tank of fuel for when we get off the main highways, from now on it was a pleasant ride through the rice fields, with a few beautiful looking(Maybe Farang) homes, they looked out of place in the rice fields but were stunning homes, we always like to get off the roads and have a look around a few Baan's, always getting the locals to wave to us.

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Nice TR.. And nice pic's..

Do they already plant the new rice up there in January?

From here we could see the dam wall in the distance so we headed in that direction, the closer we got the more we realise thats one hell of a dam wall, the dam wall is huge with a spillway they control to release water. We come to a security gate and the man there just waves us through so we go upto the top of the wall, here is a few pics.......................

From the dam wall we could see some Longboats in the distance, heading towards the shore and a small like village, this is were we were headed for as we were told we could go on a boat trip, so its back on bikes down the hill through security and head right along the base of the dam wall until we get to the small village/boat hire come parking area.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Nice TR.. And nice pic's..

Do they already plant the new rice up there in January?

These pics are from late January and as you can see Rak there were crops growing.

love this pic...

My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

From here we stay at the bikes and let the girls go alone down to the boats and negotiate a price for a boat trip, they come back with 300 Baht go come back, I didnt want to go on a boat trip and not come back so wasnt sure what that meant 555

From here we all wander down to the boat with a few snacks of peanuts/chips and a couple of cool drinks and climb aboard, we meet our skipper and off we go up the dam, after about 1/2 hour we starting seeing houseboats on the edge of the waters, the further we go the more we see and there were plenty of people at them, looked very scenic as we powered through the centre of the dam................

Next thing we do a big loop in the boat and come up to the side of a series of houseboats all tied to each other, there are connected by planks of wood so you can walk between them, once we are off the boat the boat powers away, I ask the missus where boat go, he go and comback at 5pm, its only about 1pm now, its all making sense now regards the boat trip, must of been a bit hard for our girls to explain this bit because myseld and my mate had no clue as to what was happening 555

We were greeted by an older Thai woman and a young looking 14/15 year old girl, maybe her daughter, they asked us if we wanted to stay overnight, they had sleeping quaurters which were very basic and showers/toilet etc. Our girls said no we stay only until 5 oclock, next we are getting led to a table on the edge of the house boat, stunning views over the waters to the other side of the lake which also had houseboats, didnt count them but easy over 50 houseboats. Next thing were seated and the girls is asking what you want to eat, its only been about 2 hours since we last ate so I wasnt hungry, just a cooldrink for me while the girls ordered there meals.............

Here are a few more pics..............................

Before you know it its 5pm and our longboat returns to the side of the houseboat, we pay our bill for the food and climb aboard our boat. We could hear and see on the other side there was a house full of Thai's swimming and drinking, it looked like they were in for a big night 555

I would recommed this trip to anyone looking to get out of CM for a day, not to far to Ride/Drive and the scenery is great, there were quite a few fishing here so there must be fish about, Ian might let us know whats here as I presume he has been fishing up here before.

The sun was on its way down as we approached the dam wall and get off our boat, there was other people arriving, mainly young Thai's with there rum 555 So maybe some partying there at night, we had an enjoyable ride back to CM, via the Downunder for a couple of cold Ales and a Hotdog or two 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Look out Rivo, you could soon be getting an "Honorary degree" in Photo Journalism...55555

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Look out Rivo, you could soon be getting an "Honorary degree" in Photo Journalism...55555

Dr Rivo please Changone 555

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Very cool Riv love these reports mate

Yes
    Good report and pics..I did not know about this place..I like little trips from CM ..on the to do list, thanks

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Thanks Rivo, nice little TR.. There are so many hidden gems out there in rural Thailand.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Nice stuff Dr. Rivo 555

Tell me on this engine what is the newish ally device that is next to the fuel pump? Is it an electric water pump?

"Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ not sure from the pic but she`s an oldie as it has a distributor on it.

Haven`t stopped in at Mae Ngat yet but Jan is the perfect time for it.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 18th May 2013 at 20:31.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Its a LPG convertor, this engine was running on gas.

If you look at one of the picture of the boat the skipper is holding onto the Gas bottle.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    What a spectacular place!!

Great photo's as always Rivo.

When you look at all the houseboats, they all seem to be in good condition, what a lifestyle, do you know if they live there and work elsewhere? With so many you would wonder how they would survive without other income.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"