Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Chiang Mai Targets Foreign Drivers

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar

Chiang Mai Targets Foreign Drivers

CHIANG MAI : A service centre will be opened to ensure foreign visitors driving in Chiang Mai follow local traffic laws.

The centre aims to curb road accidents caused by tourists who are unlicensed drivers or unfamiliar with Chiang Mai's roads and traffic laws.

The plan was agreed at a recent meeting between the tourist police, traffic police, immigration police and the Chiang Mai transport office.

Chiang Mai transport office chief Chanchai Kilapaeng said the group discussed how to reduce road accidents and other traffic problems caused by tourists who held no international driving licences or were unfamiliar with the local traffic regulations.

A campaign to promote the centre will be launched later this month, Mr Chanchai said.

Police will then start cracking down on foreigners violating traffic laws or driving without an appropriate licence from Nov 1.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Sounds like an official tea money fund raiser..555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Ha Ha, funny mob the Thais,,,, not the fault of Thais at all.

Got my new IDP on Saturday but this campaign will probably be forgotten by the time I get to CM.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Sounds like an official tea money fund raiser..555
    I don't get this RT - they are enforcing the law re. IDPs ( which only have an in-country validity of three months - regardless of their year long expiry date)

Surely you are not suggesting the MIB should not enforce this law 555!

How about the Thai people who are unfamiliar with Thai traffic laws, irrespective of whether they are licenced or not..... or are old enough to be!

The problem is more a case of foreigners not being familiar with local driving customs (which may or may not be in keeping with the letter of the law) than not knowing the law, which, in general is not greatly different from in other countries.

Clear the smokescreen, and smoko funding is likely to be the bottom line in any case.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Don't you know Thais are born with a talent for driving?
    And they learn very early sitting on mum's lap while holding the steering wheel..
    And they have great balance from riding a scooter with 10 people..

So why bother about licence or helmets with these gifted people..?

Falang however.. Real danger for the roads..! ...and easier to squeez money out of...

If there`s any "blitz" i`d suggest it will be at the many road blocks/check points they have around the centre of town and more than likely target farangs on MB`s.

Dark tinted windows on a car may well be a blessing if they get serious with this one.

Think you'll find it's mainly Cn tourists at fault but will cause all farangs to be 'checked'. Not tea-money collection.... at least not here in the cbd.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    they are enforcing the law re. IDPs ( which only have an in-country validity of three months - regardless of their year long expiry date)
    International Driver's Permits? Hmm, I thought we had established in another thread that an out of country DL was just fine to drive on. I believe there was documentation to back it up. You can rent a car with foreign license. I have have gotten through quite a few check points, two specifically set up to check for licenses and registration. I have had to pay fines for driving in the left lane (ridiculous, but I guess the law), never for having the wrong license. Maybe this just works for me because I am on Tourist Visas and not Non-immigrant visa.

I was worried about my Thai insurance company covering me so I had the GF write the company and ask. They asked for a scan, front and back and replied that I was covered.

Now, if you don't have an Motor Bike endorsement and are caught on a MB. Then of course you are guilty of an infraction. That is one thing I see a lot of, lots of Farang never having ridden a MB in their lives renting a bike for the whole family including their Teenage kids.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    International Driver's Permits? Hmm, I thought we had established in another thread that an out of country DL was just fine to drive on. I believe there was documentation to back it up. You can rent a car with foreign license. I have have gotten through quite a few check points, two specifically set up to check for licenses and registration. I have had to pay fines for driving in the left lane (ridiculous, but I guess the law), never for having the wrong license. Maybe this just works for me because I am on Tourist Visas and not Non-immigrant visa.

I was worried about my Thai insurance company covering me so I had the GF write the company and ask. They asked for a scan, front and back and replied that I was covered.

Now, if you don't have an Motor Bike endorsement and are caught on a MB. Then of course you are guilty of an infraction. That is one thing I see a lot of, lots of Farang never having ridden a MB in their lives renting a bike for the whole family including their Teenage kids.

Of course if you leave the Kingdom and return, you are renewing your Visa and your IDP"s validity.
    You can pass checkpoints for years on an expired IDP - it's when you have a prang that the excrement hits the rotating metal.

But of course, it will never happen to you 555!

^^ I guess I'll take that is a yes then, IDP does stand for International Driver's permit. Again, I don't have one and I am assuming I am legal. I have read many contradictory statements, but I was convinced that my Driver's license obtained in the USA is legal after reading a Thread from Thai visa that Chob linked where in one individual made it very clear and had documentation to back it up.

If I knew what a prang was I might be worried. If you mean a car accident, yes, I was very worried. I think my biggest fear about driving in LOS is killing someone on a motorbike, or yung as I call them because they constantly swarm me. Or injuring someone or myself and not having any resources to take care of it. That is why I queried my company, the one that came for a year free with the car, and specifically asked if I was covered.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    This explains that a current drivers licence with photo....and or an IDL.....is acceptable for countries who are signatories to the agreement (including Australia, UK and USA)

Using a Foreign Driving Licence in Thailand | Thailand

Using a Foreign Driving Licence in Thailand

Information on who can drive on a foreign driver's licence, and for how long, and when, where and how to get a Thai licence issued for use in Thailand...

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences. Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic. Those in doubt should contact their embassy for advice: Click here

An International Driver's License/Permit (IDL/IDP) is also valid in Thailand, and available from a government department or authorized auto club at a small expense. A foreign driving licence valid under the 1949 or 1968 Conventions qualifies the licence holder to apply for the IDL/IDP, and its holders may find that it is more often recognised and accepted by police and civil service officials. Beware of the many IDP/IDL websites that are not legitimate.

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence. However, those with a foreign licence as described above or an International Drivers Licence are excused from doing the practical driving test when applying for a Thai driving license.

Note: Although International Driving Licences are valid for up to one year after arrival in Thailand, after three months many comprehensive insurance policies are made void if still driving on a foreign licence.

Licence holders may only drive the category of vehicle for which their licence is valid.

For information about treaties recognised by the Department of Land Transport: Click here (in Thai)

Thanks Nels! Now can you tell me what a Prang is?? 555
    Gazmac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    Thanks Nels! Now can you tell me what a Prang is?? 555
    a prang is a car crash....
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Chiang Mai seeks to reduce tourists' rental-car accidents
    The Nation October 11, 2013 1:00 am

Chiang Mai Governor Wichien Phuthiwinyu yesterday met with car-rental operators, police and relevant agencies to discuss guidelines for preventing tourists' accidents in rented vehicles.

Wichien said the meeting invited the operators to outline the problems and propose suggestions for the province and agencies. Their suggestions included more road/location signs in multiple languages, Mandarin interpreters for police investigations, and Mandarin, English and other language training for police officers.

Chanchai Kilapaeng, head of the Chiang Mai Transport Office, said it would more strictly enforce traffic laws on tourists, foreign and Thai, from November 1 onwards.

Around 60 car hire business owners at the meeting were told by the governor tourists coming to Chiang Mai often hire cars but sometimes they don’t know much about Chiang Mai or Thai driving standards who end up in accidents.

“I would like to ask for the business owners to only hire cars to tourists who have driver’s licenses and know how to drive in Chiang Mai, and also know where they are going. Don’t overcharge tourists. Don’t take advantage of tourists. If there is any report that you overcharge you will face a heavy penalty,” Wichain said.

The business owners also suggested the government put more signs around Chiang Mai showing the direction of places such as the airport, police stations, hospitals, etc.
    Last edited by Hatari; 13th October 2013 at 10:18.

Cadet Gold
    traffic laws is a good joke things i saw when did the pavement become a hard shoulder for motorbikes lol
    Gazmac likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Targetting Chinese perhaps ???

Here here for more signs to the airport, returning a Hertz car one evening from Lampang, I missed the turn-off from the route 11 (1030) to CNX.

Quote Originally Posted by mechime View Post
    Here here for more signs to the airport, returning a Hertz car one evening from Lampang, I missed the turn-off from the route 11 (1030) to CNX.
    there is a rather large sign to the airport there.

I was just siding with the business people's point.
    Yes Moo for the 1141 and small English writing for "International Airport" with no symbol/outline /picture of an aeroplane, as is almost International and no lighting at night which is when I was motoring and you need to be in the left lane immediately to get the slip road, miss it and you are more likely to have an accident trying to find your way with the deadline for car and flight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast