Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Our Ride From CM to Doi Mae Salong

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

Our Ride From CM to Doi Mae Salong

Just got back from from a couple of weeks up in Chiang Mai and managed a couple of overnight tours into the countryside of Northern Thailand. This tour was actually in the 2nd week of my trip and covered around 530km.

The Team : Moo ( Local CM resident ) & Norabunga ( Local CM resident ) & Ozzy Pete ( Tourist ) & Rivo ( Tourist )

Tour Pre Requisite : Over 50 years old & must drink beer & must love TG's & finally must love motorbikes - lucky we all pass these pre requisites with flying colours 555

Our Bikes : Moo - Honda VFR 800 ( Personal Bike ) Norabunga - Kawasaki Versys 650 ( Personal Bike ) Ozzy Pete ( Honda CBR 500 from Pops Bike Hire ) Rivo ( Honda NC700X from Pops Bike Hire )

Tour Preperation : Took about 20mins over a couple of beers at the Downunder Pub in Chiang Mai

Let The Tour Begin : Since we all come from different locations in Chiang Mai we decided to meet at the 2nd PTT service station on the highway 1001 out of Chiang Mai at 930am on Wednesday 29/1/14. Myself & Ozzy Pete were staying at the Raming Lodge and left about 850am which got us to the servo about 915am, Norabunga was only a few mins behind us with Moo arriving about 925am. Having a look over our bikes Pete was concerned his chain was loose and on the dryside so went to a nearby motorbike shop and got his chain adjusted and lubed, cost was a whopping 20 Baht and took about 10 mins.

From here its head North on the 1001 towards Phrao, the traffic being on the light side and the highway dual carriage way so we could set our own pace which was usually over the 100 Kmh mark and we stayed as a group. The weather was a beautiful 20-25 degrees so great for cruising and taking in the sites which were a combination of rice farms and factories. Our first stop was on the side of the road to stretch our legs along a big straight stretch of road, the only locals was a Cow & calf and on the otherside of the road were a few ladys chopping up some grass on the side of the road, we couldnt confirm the product but they were busy and posed for a quick pic for us falangs.

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Looks like a good ride with the Mates. Look forward the the rest of the report and pic's.
    How much was the Bike hire? and were the bikes any good?

After our short stop it was back on the road, still heading north on the 1001 towards Phrao which was our morning tea stop. The roads are still on the quite side with the occasional car or truck to overtake, one thing I noticed was the vehicles seemed to use their rear vision mirrors and actually moving left on the road so we could ride on through, a few of the truckies even flashing there indicators to show us the road is clear ahead. Before you know it we arrive at Phrao and make the PTT servo our drink stop, this PTT was under renovations but was still open. Whilst we are having a break under our own Gazebo a few other bikes turn up, 4 from memory which was a Forza, PCX 150, ER6 and a CBX 500 and they all gave us a wave. Once there helmets were off it was obvious they were all Thai's, I tried talking but they had no english and me only a few thai words so it was just smiles and thumbs up. That was until Moo came over and could have a conversation with the thais, turns out there just out touring like us. I also must make mention that Moo & Norabunga's pronunciation of Thai towns is perfect and the thai's can understand, not like me and Pete who have them looking blank when we say were we have been or going 555

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Looks like a good ride with the Mates. Look forward the the rest of the report and pic's.
    How much was the Bike hire? and were the bikes any good?

The bikes were great, Pop has a big choice ( Over 420 Bikes ) the rates vary depending on the bikes, the Honda CBR or CBX 500 are around 1100 Baht per day and the NX700 I had was 2000 Baht, my bike was only a few moths old, the one I hired the week before was only one week old and around 1500km on the clock.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Whilst we are having a break under our own Gazebo a few other bikes turn up, 4 from memory which was a Forza, PCX 150, ER6 and a CBX 500 and they all gave us a wave. Once there helmets were off it was obvious they were all Thai's, I tried talking but they had no english and me only a few thai words so it was just smiles and thumbs up. That was until Moo came over and could have a conversation with the thais, turns out there just out touring like us. I also must make mention that Moo & Norabunga's pronunciation of Thai towns is perfect and the thai's can understand, not like me and Pete who have them looking blank when we say were we have been or going 555
    I liked the little bit of chrome work the Thai guy had done on the belt and radiator covers of his PCX 150. Not overdone but definitely a nice personalised look.

They had come along the 1150 from the CR>CM road to the East of Phrao (which is a nice quiet ride through some lovely twisty mountain roads) and wanted to know where we were going. He thought i meant to Chiang Dao then north but it wasn`t until i said the number of the 1346 in Thai that he caught on that we were doing a little used rural road and short cut to the north and Mae Salong.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Another interesting TR by Mr Rivo ! Great pics again ! Awaiting the balance of it ,don't leave us hanging Rivo !
    !qq!

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    Another interesting TR by Mr Rivo ! Great pics again ! Awaiting the balance of it ,don't leave us hanging Rivo !

It might take a few mornings before work gets busy to finish this report Gaz, update again in the morning 555

After our morning smoko break at Phrao it was carry on with our journey heading north, the main difference from here I can remember was the countryside starting to change from the flat ground to mountains, not huge but noticable, they were rebuilding the road north of Phrao and will we great when finished. Moo & Nora had our next stop planned already, it was a haunted valley off the beaten track, ill let Moo explain the history as I doubt google even knows about it 555

After detouring off the main road we took a few left and rights through some small villages, the locals always having a look as the big bikes ride through, with the kids usually waving. Next thing we pull up at this house looking hall which I thought was our destination, no I was wrong this was the entrance to a 500m walk through the light forrest to see the haunted valley. We were greeted by the local chief who said he would look after our bikes/gear, we were thinking a tip will be requested upon our return 555 The walk was good as the weather was on the cool side and would of only been around 1130am from memory. There was a couple of small wooden bridges over creeks on the way, they made Rivo walk the plank first to test the strenth of the bridge, aswell as the boardwalk when we arrived. To me the limestone structure reminded me of the Pinnacles back home, only in the forrest not the sand dunes.........................

After our walk back to the bikes we were expecting our local resident to greet us, couldnt see him anywhere so we washed our face and hands in the washroom and then back on our bikes. Our next stop was for lunch, Moo and Nora saying we are going to Uncle Jacks for lunch, for some reason im thinking of Hungry Jacks back home 555 To say this place is off the beaten track was an understatement, Moo managed to get us straight there, with VIP parking in the front yard for our bikes. i snap a few pics while the rest grab a seat and start looking at the menu and ordering. My mate Pete was starting to feel crook for some reason, maybe what he ate for breakfast ? anyway he had a lie down with Uncle Jack giving him some head ache tablets. The rest of us enjoyed our lunch and a cold drink................

Chob likes this.

After we finish our lunch its head north again with our nextstop penciled in as Fang where we will top up with some fuel then carry on to our destination for the overnight stay, which is the famous Doi Mae Salong ( Ive never heard of it either 555 ) Moo informs us will be staying north of Chiang Rai and Mae Salong is a chinese village, the only one in Thailand and is way up in the mountains, famous for growing tea im told.

Here is a few pics from the servo in Fang including an old Chev Monte Carlo which has been resting there for many years, cant help imaging years ago when this car would of been very expensive and impressive on the Thai roads. Old Ozzy Pete was not improving and had a sleep next to the fuel bowser why we had a look around................

Kad Muang Phi is a Lanna language for "spiritual market" and according to legend Kad Muang Phi is a place of ghosts.
    The Kad Muang Phi site resembles a canyon with sandstone cliffs & mushroom like pillars, thought to be several million years old.

Local legend has it that a villager lost in the forest, found a busy market there. After buying many items in the market, he was shown the way out of the forest by the villagers; however when he reached home, he discovered that the items he bought were only leaves and stones.

The village of Santikhiri (Thai: สันติคีรี), formerly known as Mae Salong (Thai: แม่สลอง), is situated in the Thai highlands on Doi Mae Salong mountain of the Daen Lao Range, in Mae Fa luang district, Chiang Rai Province, the northernmost province of Thailand. The area has an alpine-like landscape and climate, and is known for its hill tribe villages, tea plantations and cherry blossoms.
    Santikhiri's early history centered around the Golden Triangle's opium trade, in which its distinctive population – the "lost army" of the Republic of China Army's 93rd Division – became involved. At the conclusion of the Chinese Civil War in 1949, some remnants of the anti-communist Kuomintang (KMT) forces refused to surrender, including the 93rd Division, led by General Tuan Shi-wen (also known as Chiwan Khamlue).[1] The division fought its way out of Yunnan in southwestern China, and its soldiers lived nomadic lives in Burma's (now Myanmar) jungles before seeking asylum in Mae Salong. In exchange for their asylum, they fought for Thailand until 1982, helping to counter the communist insurgency at the Thai frontier. In reward, the Thai government granted citizenship to most of the KMT soldiers and their families.
    Cash crops, especially tea, have now replaced the growing of opium poppies, and Santikhiri today is a tourist attraction known as Little Switzerland.[2]

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Great read and photos as always Rivo.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    I can only say - "wish I was there" !

From our fuel & rest stop at Fang its only 1 hour or so on the bikes until we reach our overnight desination, Doi Mae Salong, and my mate Pete cant wait as he is still not feeling well and wants a good sleep, we are due at our hotel around 430pm which Moo had booked a few days prior. Moo & Nora had stayed at our hotel before and for 400 baht a night its great for a shower and overnight sleep. The ride from Fang to Doi mae Salong is now getting into the bigger mountains and in the clearer afternoon air its great for riding and taking in the scenery. Traffic is very light and just the odd car or bike. Moo & Pete rode ahead to the hotel as Rivo couldnt ride past so many photo oppurtunities 555 The roads just seem to wind in and out the mountains and at times you can spot the road kilometres away at the bottom of a mountain or curving around the side, just stunning scenery if you are not used to it. Back home in Western Australia we have a few hills but nothing like these mountains................

Around 430pm we arrive at Doi Mae Salong and park our bikes at the back of the hotel, Moo and Pete have already picked up our keys and Pete was fast asleep on his bed, Rivo & Nora walk up the stairs to check out our rooms. We both have huge rooms with beds lined up next to each other, maybe could sleep 5/6 in each room if you wanted. The rooms are very basic but comfortable and they have a hot shower & western toilet 555 We decided on a quick shower and change of clothes and then have a quick walk around town before the sun settles, which here is about 6pm. I took a picture of the sign out front of where we were staying, one thing you notice is all the signs are in Thai & Chinese which is great for us blokes who can only read english 555 Moo later tells me tells the sign i took the picture of is actually the hotel nextdoor, I never got a picture of the sign of our hotel 555

Yeah,Shin Sane guesthouse is ok for the weary traveller for a night or 2 max.

I was impressed with the Chinese food there last time we stayed and the little bar/restaurant out the front was packed with people after we ate....very popular food.
    I noticed someone on the table next to us got one of the pork legs @ 250 and wished we'd got one....oh well next time

After our walk around the village of Doi Mae Salang we called into the 7/11 and bought some peanuts and lays and headed back to the open air balcony infront of our accomadation, I think it was part of the Little Home Guesthouse, here we drank large Singha's at a whopping 69 Baht each with service and ate a few chips and nuts while watching the sun go down, we noticed a few different model cars we had never seen, one being a honda something 555, all with chines number plates, we were then entertained by an asian on his hire Forza, would of made excellent video, the bike clearly big compared to him, couple that with what looked like his first time trying to man handle the bike it was doomed from the beginning. He managed to turn the bike around and move a few metres forward to the intersection, from here he put his foot down on the low side of the hill and you guessed it, down the bike goes spitting him off the side, I would of taken a picture if I could stop laughing quick enough, great entertainment and he picked the bike up again and managed to ride off. I snapped a pic of him just after he picked up the bike. I think we had about 3 big Singha's each, all except Ozzy Pete who went to his room at 430pm and we hadnt seen him since, and then we grabbed a menu and ordered our dinner, the weather was warmer here than expected as the sun had gone down, I had a jacket with me but never needed that night. After dinner we wandered down to a new bar we had walked past and settled in for a few more ales, Rivo happy he could have his Heineken at this bar. The bar was situated right on a Y junction and we were entertained once again with the local traffic, not sure how long the clutches last in some of these pickups but it wouldnt be long as they seem to select about 3000 rpm with the throttle and then ride the clutch 555 The highlight of the night, although looking very dangerous was a pickup taking the awkard bend at slow speed and leaning way over, with all this noise coming from the rear, after the pick up took the bend we couldnt believe what we could see, just kids heads and many of them, piled 2 or 3 deep by the look of it, we asked our happy little Thai Barmaid how many baby ? Her reply they just finish school and come back to village, sametime every day and have 30 baby in the back, yes 30 kids in the back of the pickup 555

Our barmaid was a happy girl with a beautiful smile and told us their new bar had been open only for 3 months, I hope business goes well for them.

After a few more beers at the bar we called it a night, seemed late but only around 10pm from memory, we wandered back too our rooms for some shut eye, deciding on breakfast at 8am at the same restruant as were we had dinner. Morning came around quickly and after brekky we had a quick wander around town again, today the market was pumping and the fire crackers going off as it was the start of the Chinese New Year. Was about 9am from memory and we had paid for our rooms and back on the bikes, this time heading back towards Fang with a planned stop at the Wat Tha Ton.

The ride back to Tha Ton only seemed to take an hour or so and here we pulled up on a bridge over looking the Mekok River, no not the Mekong, here we admired the view and Moo and Nora pointed up to a Temple way up on a hill, thats our next stop and we can see the famous Wat Tha Ton, so we jump on the bikes and wind our way up the hill to the parking area. Like a lot of Temples this one is stunning and the view over the valley was great, morning not the best time for photo's over the valley though. We stayed for an hour or so and had a look around and different designs of sculptures.

And some more including the sleeping falang of wat tha ton 555..................................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast