Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Night in Nan - January 2014

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

A Night in Nan - January 2014

Here is another trip I did when up in Chiang Mai last month and this trip included an overnight stay in Nan in the countryside of Northern Thailand. This tour was actually in the 1st week of my 2 week trip and covered around 630km.

The Team Again : Moo ( Local CM resident ) & Norabunga ( Local CM resident ) & Ozzy Pete ( Tourist ) & Rivo ( Tourist )

Tour Pre Requisite : Over 50 years old & must drink beer & must love TG's & finally must love motorbikes - lucky we all pass these pre requisites with flying colours 555

Our Bikes : Moo - Honda VFR 800 ( Personal Bike ) Norabunga - Kawasaki Versys 650 ( Personal Bike ) Ozzy Pete ( Honda CBR 500 from Pops Bike Hire ) Rivo ( Honda NC700X from Pops Bike Hire )

Tour Preperation : This trip preperation took over an hour and required a couple of beers at the Downunder Pub in Chiang Mai to confirm our destination 555

Let The Tour Begin : Since we all come from different locations we decided to meet at the overhead traffic bridge on the Chiang Rai road 118 about 5km north of Chiang Mai at about 10am. Moo had to organise getting his bike back from his mechanics shop as this was a spur of the moment go the next day trip, dont you love 2 week tourists like Rivo & Pete wanting to do everything at once 555 We all met up at the meeting point and then it was a casual ride north with us turning right at Mae Khachan onto the 120. On the way we pulled into the hot springs on the side of the road on the Chiang Rai road, this was my mate Petes first time on this road so he wanted to stop to see the hot water spout...............................

Our stop at the Hot Springs was only for about 15 mins as there is not a great deal to see once youve taken a few pics. Highway 120 was agreat bit of road, quite fast with alot of twists and turns which you can take at quite a high speed. Our next stop was marked down as Dinosoar Park, not knowing what to expect as local CM residents like getting a laugh out of us tourists 555 Anyway once we pulled up the place was clearly marked with a huge sign........................

Well that sign was useless to me as I cant read any Thai 555................But I can recognize a Dinosoar and you will notice in the second picture how real the Dinosoars look 555................

Last edited by Rivo; 22nd February 2014 at 08:02. Reason: Picture didnt work ?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Yes
    Very blue sky in the pics....must have been good riding weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post

Yes Yes the weather was perfect during the day, not at night though, the coldest ive ever been in Thailand 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    When i read "A Night in Nan" my first thought was....didn't she go home?

Quote Originally Posted by Yes View Post
    Our embedded photographer worked the angles well in those shots.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

After we left Dinosoar Hill we continued along the highway 120 which is a very good quality road, dual carriageway so great for overtaking, not that there was much traffic. Here is where Rivo kept getting left behind as I am a cautious ( most of the time 555 ) rider and like to get to my destination without any skin missing 555. Moo & Nora had us doing a few shortcuts through rural villages and I would have no hope back tracking the way we went, and im usually pretty good with memory on the road. At this stage we were headed to Nan via Chiang Muan and we were just enjoying the backroads, one little village I can remember well, Moo & Pete were out infront and then come to a stop sign, they turned right and took off and then Rivo gets to the stop sign, I didnt take off as there was 2 X Buffalo running towards me down the street with a Thai Guy chasing them 555 Nora pulled up next to me and we were amazed at these Buffalo and the speed they were running, looked like the Running of the Bulls in Spain 555, the Thai guy started waving at us to get out the way so we didnt have to get told twice, we took off and went around the corner where Rivo pulled up to get his camera out the bike................

Once the dust had settled and the camera put away Rivo & Nora catch up to the others, from memory we carried on for a while before our destination for lunch, not sure what the name was but it was cake & coffee at the Amazon Cafe and 7/11 for a cool drink. We had a break for about 45 min and had a feed and drink and just relaxed. Nextstop was Teds Turn, the infamous hairpin bend that 1080 took a bit wide and found a bit of loose gravel on the surface, and then layed the bike down for a short span, picked the bike up in seconds and rode off............................

Two months after 1080's spill the road is still the same 555...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    When i read "A Night in Nan" my first thought was....didn't she go home?

I let you do that Trip Report Moo "A Night with Nan".....................555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Good one, fellas. 555
    Now I'm off to bed, been doing a fair bit of that lately...

From Teds Turn its back on the road and we continue our ride to Nan, I think its the highway 1091 we end up on and this is a great bit of road with the mountains in the background. Lots of corners and bends to keep us occupied for what seemed like ages. Moo decides to pull up on the side of the highway so he can show us the countryside as well as Rivo can snap a few more pics 555........................

From memory it was about 430pm in the afternoon we arrive at Nan, 1st impression was this is a bigger city than I imagined, heres a bit about Nan : Nan is a town in Northern Thailand. It is located some 668 km north of Bangkok. Its population exceeds 24.000. It is situated in the centre of the Nan Province which bears its name, and of which it is the administrative capital. It covers the whole tambon Nai Wiang and parts of tambon Pha Sing of Mueang Nan district, an area of 7.60 kmē. As of 2010 it had a population of 21,333. It is subdivided into 30 chumchon. It is spread out along the Nan river's right bank. Nan is a small city, primarily devoted to commercial, administrative, educational and hospital activities. The old heart of the city, where Wat Phumin, the National Museum and other tourist attractions are located, is being restored. The city's industrial and tourist development remains limited until now, but should be improved by the complete opening of the border towards Laos and beyond towards China, an opening that has been postponed so far but should occur in a short time.

Moo and Nora already had a hotel booked in for us to stay in and when we arrived we were greeted by the lady at reception, quite a nice looking hotel and across the road from where we will be having dinner, at " Tonys Place ". The hotel was on a quiet Soi and had parking for the bikes down near our rooms. I think we paid about 500 Baht for the nights accomodation and it was great value for money.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Great photo's and reporting Rivo, as always
    The Motel looks like it was brand new, excellent value at 500bt.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

^ even better at 450 baht (Thai price ) a piece 555

Best value looms in LOS! especially with Tony's straight across the road.
    Nan is a great home base for a few days riding in the area or an over nighter on the way to (or from) loei,udon or KK.

I'm sure Rivo will have something to say about our night at the beer bar complex there 55

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Great photo's and reporting Rivo, as always
    The Motel looks like it was brand new, excellent value at 500bt.

Thats right we got a discount because Moo & Nora had stayed there before, we paid 450 Baht each and that was with some Coffee & Toast in the morning if you wanted it.

This is a true story, yesterday we had a guy come to our yard at work to do some maintenance on our electric fence, ive met him before and he installed our fence about 7 or 8 years ago, probably have seen him maybe once a year. He would be a similar age to me and we were talking about CCTV as he installs a lot of that stuff and I was telling him i have a setup at home, with a camera watching my shed door where i have a few bikes. Then he says im into my bikes aswell, would you believe i still ride a motorcross bike and he was telling me about his Husaberg and where he rides down south and then he says I also have a Honda VT 1100 touring bike and was telling me about that.

Next thing he says to me that him and a few mates are planning an overseas motorbike tour, he had done this already about 10 years ago and still thinks about it often, there planning on going again later this year to a place called Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand and are going to rent some bikes and ride up to a place called Chiang Rai and out to the Golden Triangle, best riding they have ever done he says, then comes the question 555 have you been to Thailand before ?

<7>

Well there goes an hour as we talk about Thailand and bikes and where we stayed and what type of bikes we hired and how much etc etc etc 555 We have exchanged emails and he wants to ask some more questions.

It's like a parallel universe... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

We all went to our own rooms and had a quick shower and planned to meet out the front of the hotel in 1 hour where we planned to ride down to a hotel on the river for sunset and a coiple of cold beers. I was out the room a bit early and was having a wander around the hotel when a Thai man comes up to me and was asking about our bikes, he then said he has a big bike aswell so i was asking him about it, its a Honda 500cc he tells me and i ask where do you keep you bike and he said over here and takes me to the property nextdoor to show me his Honda GL 500. I had never heard of the GL 500, in Australia we only had the CX 500 which looked the same, here is a bit about the GL.................

In 1981 Honda released the GL500 Silver Wing, which was a mid-sized touring bike based on the CX500 engine. The GL500 engine was similar to the CX500 engine, but used the more reliable transistorized ignition system, which meant the stator would contain only charging windings and thus would put out more power for operating the lights and other devices commonly added to touring motorcylcles. The GL500 also used Honda's Pro-Link monoshock rear suspension and was available as either a naked bike or as an Interstate model with fairing. The Interstate included a large factory fairing, hard saddlebags, and a trunk. This made the Silver Wing look like a miniature Gold Wing GL1100 Interstate. The 1981 model had a small tail trunk, which was replaced by a larger trunk in 1982. The trunk was interchangeable with the back seat—the bike is rider-only with the trunk installed, although there was an aftermarket extender available to allow the trunk to be mounted behind the passenger seat.

In 1983 the GL500 was upgraded to the GL650. Apart from the larger engine, the GL650 had a slightly different fairing mounts and front engine hanger mount than the GL500, and portions of the GL650 engine are painted black. The fuel economy of the GL650 was improved over that of the GL500 due to significantly taller gearing and the replacement of the CX/GL500's mechanical radiator fan with an electric fan.

The CX-based Silver Wings were discontinued after the 1983 model year. Overproduction of the 1982 GL500 caused some to be sold new as late as 1984. These should still be titled as 1982 motorcycles, however in some cases they have mistakenly been titled as later models.

He was showing me his bike and was dissapointed he could not start it for me, he even wanted to go and get some battery jumper leads to show me the bike running as the battery was dead flat. Turns out he is the owner of the Hotel where we are staying and a friendly bloke. I was asking about the old Jeep parked nearby and that was his aswell so he is lifting bonnets and starting engines, even offered to take me for a drive in the Jeep. He told me he bought the Jeep after WW 2 and drove it the 35 odd miles back to Nan where it has been ever since, he also said its still used daily.

By now all the guys are showered and ready for a cold beer so we jump on our bikes and head off to a Hotel on the river for a few beers.........................

Well we all managed to buy a round of beers down at the hotel on the riverfront, the sun was setting quite quickly and it was getting time for dinner. Our restruant chosen for dinner by Moo & Nora was ' Tonys Place " believe it or not it was run by an Englishman named Tony & his wife 555 Tony had lived in Thailand for over 20 years I think he said, now calling Nan his home. The restraunt was located nearly opposite our hotel so was very convenient. The menu looked great and had alot of home cooked western food available. The carpark was full of bikes and quite a few characters were about, all friendly and talking bikes. There was a group of Harley Riders at the table next to us and they were Canadians with a couple of them living in Phitsanoluk and just out for a few days riding. Nan looks like a good place to base yourself for a few days and go exploring on the bikes from there, Tony can help with accomodation, maps, directions etc.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...HYcUdMrbwlabwg

After we had our beautiful homecooked dinner at Tonys washed down with a few ales it was time to move on, no not back to the hotel, we decided to go and check out the nightlife in Nan. I havent mentioned that the temperature was dropping quickly by now, and we could feel it. The nightlife/bar area in Nan is just out of town and all concentrated in one area. We rode our bikes through the road whick loops around the area with bars line up on each side, with the normal foodcarts located in the centre. The music was that loud you couldnt hear our motorbikes, each bar trying to out do the other with volume 555 We parked our bikes and went for a walk through the area, not a falang to be seen, all thais here and they were not busy at all. Tonight we were told the temperature dropped down to 6 degrees, thats bloody cold to sit outside and drink beer 555 There wasnt alot of Thai girls we could see, only a few with a smile on the face behind the furry coats and the beanies and scarves 555 We stayed for an hour or two and then all decided that it was too cold to keep drinking here so we returned to our hotel for the night, all agreeing to meet at our bikes at 8am to go to Nora's favorite Bakery for breakfast.

I was wide awake by 7am and went for a look outside the hotel, surprised me that it was nowhere near as cold in the morning than it was lastnight. i decided to go for a quick look around Nan on my bike for 30mins or so and would come back to the hotel for the 8am meeting. I was surprised to see that Cippy had started a restaurant chain naming it after his missus " SWEETY " and it looked like he was already upto 9 shops 555 I took a couple of pics around Nan and then met the boys for breakfast, breakfast was pretty good and you cant beat fresh bread from a bakery.

Here is a few pics around Nan City..................................

^ last pic is the local museum.

I was so glad to jump into bed,even alone,with my socks on it was so cold that night,probably the coldest i've ever known LOS to be.

As soon as the sun comes up it warms up quickly though.

After we finished our breakfast it was back to the rooms and chuck our gear back in the bikes and book out of the hotel, great accomodation Moo & Nora had chosen for us and the rooms were spotless, highly recommended. We were all surprised that the temp was not cold, after the previous night we thought the morning would be freezing, not the case. From Nan we headed north on highway 1080, only as far as Tha Wang Pha where we change direction and take the famous " 1148 " which I have read is in the top 10 best motorcycle rides in the world. Highway 1148 had very little traffic and lived up to its title, its just bend after bend after bend through some stunning scenery overlooking mountains, the twistys are very challenging and tight, alot of the time your back in first gear because the turns are so sharp. We stopped a couple of times and I managaed a few pics, as is the case a camera never seems to show how steep a hill is or how sharp a turn is. Here is a few pics from the 1148.................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast