Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police check in Chiang Mai last night.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar

Police check in Chiang Mai last night.

I was sitting having a drink at the Dragonfly bar towards the top end of Loi Kroh Road when loads of police vehicles, both pickup's and bikes turned up. This was at about 8:30 PM. There must have been 50 or so of them.
    They started entering the bars and demanding to see farang passports. I know that you are supposed to carry your passport with you, but who does, especially in light of the recently highlighted incidence of passport theft in LOS.
    Only one patron in the bar had his passport with him and that was because he had only just arrived and had needed it to book in to his hotel.
    Loads of photos taken and questions asked. Good cop, bad cop. One shouting and the other very polite and explaining the situation. I asked if a copy would do and was told no. Original passport and immigration card to be carried at all times.
    A couple of the girls did a quick disappearing act then came back as soon as the cops moved on.
    It kind of killed the mood for me and so I move a couple100 meters or so across the moat. Nothing seems to happen there as with last weekend's bar closures , closed down on Loi Kroh yet open over the moat.
    Anyway it was not all a bad thing as I spent a good evening with a great girl and possibly would not have got there otherwise.
    In all my nine years of visiting LOS it is the first time that I have come across this, any others experienced it?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    Sounds like a shakedown of the bar owner. He probably didn't pay his tea money on time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    Sounds like a shakedown of the bar owner. He probably didn't pay his tea money on time.
    It was not just one bar but all of the bars down the strip. Talk of Bangkok police being in town and running things. But that could just be bar gossip.
    BTW the one girl who quietly disappeared, turns out she was under age.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Pete, did they make you go get your pass port? Or a fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Pete, did they make you go get your pass port? Or a fine?
    No just warnings to everyone. And my ugly mug shot 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    I was sitting having a drink at the Dragonfly bar towards the top end of Loi Kroh Road when loads of police vehicles, both pickup's and bikes turned up. This was at about 8:30 PM. There must have been 50 or so of them.
    They started entering the bars and demanding to see farang passports. I know that you are supposed to carry your passport with you, but who does, especially in light of the recently highlighted incidence of passport theft in LOS.
    Only one patron in the bar had his passport with him and that was because he had only just arrived and had needed it to book in to his hotel.
    Loads of photos taken and questions asked. Good cop, bad cop. One shouting and the other very polite and explaining the situation. I asked if a copy would do and was told no. Original passport and immigration card to be carried at all times.
    A couple of the girls did a quick disappearing act then came back as soon as the cops moved on.
    It kind of killed the mood for me and so I move a couple100 meters or so across the moat. Nothing seems to happen there as with last weekend's bar closures , closed down on Loi Kroh yet open over the moat.
    Anyway it was not all a bad thing as I spent a good evening with a great girl and possibly would not have got there otherwise.
    In all my nine years of visiting LOS it is the first time that I have come across this, any others experienced it?
    I just don't see how the act is good for tourism, the fcuking imbeciles

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I just don't see how the act is good for tourism, the fcuking imbeciles
    It does seem that just the one area is targeted . Within the moat it is business as usual.
    Agreed though, the Kiwi sitting next to me was a first time visitor to CM, it could not have endeared the place to him.

Saw similar in Patong outside my hotel last year. They were just checking for overstayers, hence the need for the passport+immigration card. Each person they stopped was asked to produce their passport - they didn't mind that most people had it in their safe upstairs in the room and waited for people to go and get it, then they just asked a few typical questions (where you from, how long you here etc), took a photo of each person holding their passport, and then moved on. They had a farang woman translator who could speak 4-5 different languages to help explain the check.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedHoliday View Post
    Saw similar in Patong outside my hotel last year. They were just checking for overstayers, hence the need for the passport+immigration card. Each person they stopped was asked to produce their passport - they didn't mind that most people had it in their safe upstairs in the room and waited for people to go and get it, then they just asked a few typical questions (where you from, how long you here etc), took a photo of each person holding their passport, and then moved on. They had a farang woman translator who could speak 4-5 different languages to help explain the check.
    but that is lazy police work and hassling tourists
    they should have ideas of overstayers and target them, not random stops

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ i think they have no idea and rely on random raids.

I haven't seen one here and only carry a photocopy of my PP.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

but that is lazy police work and hassling tourists
    they should have ideas of overstayers and target them, not random stops
    How do they know where these overstayers are to target them? Do they all meet up for lunch on certain days or stay in the same hotel?

How do they know where these overstayers are to target them? Do they all meet up for lunch on certain days or stay in the same hotel?
    No, as i said they can do police work instead of hasslinv tourist
    They make you be tracked when you enter the country so go off that database and start from there
    I live right in the middle of a huge tourist area and they dont stop tourists to check their papers.....They do police work and target by going to addresses listed and work from there

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    ^^^^

Surely you're not suggesting the police do investigative police work (for no extra reward)? 55555!

If an overstayer "goes off the database" unless he is a moron he would not still be at his "last known address"?
    Last edited by Zablive; 22nd March 2014 at 13:56.

Thing is that this was in a bar area well away from any hotels. They did not hang around and wait for passports to be fetched but just moved on to the next bars. I could be wrong but I did not see them stop any pedestrians, only bar patrons.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I haven't seen one here and only carry a photocopy of my PP.
    Must have been my lucky (un) day Moo 555

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    ^^^^

Surely you're not suggesting the police do investigative police work (for no extra reward)? 55555!

If an overstayer "goes off the database" unless he is a moron he would not still be at his "last known address"?
    Of course not but i would imagine most over stayers in any country wouldnt be living at their known address, but you go and find where they might have went and go from there
    We know the Thais know what is going on all around them, they will give clues

Of course not but i would imagine most over stayers in any country wouldnt be living at their known address, but you go and find where they might have went and go from there
    We know the Thais know what is going on all around them, they will give clues
    When you enter the kingdom you can put any address on the immigration card - who on earth would put the real address if you were going to overstay?

Sure they can investigate and I'm sure they do with some (where they actually have a valid address), but its also a pretty high chance that their targeted areas will catch people - bars, hotels, etc.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Let's assume for a moment that the op was an overstayer. They took a photo and sent him on his merry way. Fcukwits!

Sent from my ST25a using Tapatalk 2

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    I could just imagine the outrage if Immigration was to go into Sydney City where a lot of Thai live and start asking for pass ports and ID. The PC brigade would be marking on Parliament house.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    Let's assume for a moment that the op was an overstayer. They took a photo and sent him on his merry way. Fcukwits!

Sent from my ST25a using Tapatalk 2

How long are you on holidays Pete you sneaky bugger, out witting the Police 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast