Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Help Needed!!!Thoughts on Chiang Mai - Three Days in August

Cadet

Help Needed!!!Thoughts on Chiang Mai - Three Days in August

Hello folks,

I am going to Hong Kong for a few days and thinking about visiting Chiang Mai for three days in late August. Is the curfew still going on? Do you have any hotel recommendations? (I have seen a few older recommendations for the Raming Lodge).

I will be in Phuket, Samui and BKK in December and thinking that it would be nice to explore a "new" place (visited Chiang Mai in 2003). Is Chiang Mai a good place to visit for three days? Is there enough to do, fun things at night, etc?

Thank you,

Lev

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    No curfew,Raming Lodge is still a good hotel to stay,plenty to do and bars right next to the Raming.

http://www.thai-dreaming.com/forums/...e-sot/5462.htm
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Chiang Mai's a very pretty place to visit in August, perhaps a bit wet as well. Depends what you're looking for, sightseeing, adventure, food, culture, girls ....? Hotels around Night Bazaar area, eastern end of Loi Kroh may suit better and the DownUnder Pub is now at that end of the road, opposite end to Raming.

Loads of smaller boutique hotels within the moat area.

Zip-lining makes for a great day out.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Cadet
    thanks for the prompt reply and link....I actually just read about the Patara Elephant farm in an in flight magazine on a Delta flight from NYC to Boston. Seems to be getting a lot of positive press these days. Looks expensive, but worth it and certainly for a good cause.

If anyone else has any suggestions, I am open.

Also- - any other suggestions other than Raming Lodge? From reviews, Pool is located across the street and the rooms can be noisy.

thanks again

Cadet
    are the boutique hotels "girl friendly"? Any recommendations? I had not thought much about the weather...I guess I will just hope that it is not raining too badly!

Pool at the Raming is out the back door and across a really small soi.

Noise would be from the nearby bars so if you choose to go to them they will close around 12 (or 2?) and it will be quiet thereafter.

It's rainy season the whole of LOS until end Oct.

Patara seems more hands-on elephants whereas maesa elephant camp is an entertainment venue. I haven't visited either yet, though the latter gets very good reviews.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I have stayed at Ramming a few times but the last 3 trips I have stayed at Thapae Garden guest house. Its a bit cheaper and has a nice pool, No joiner fee and very friendly people. The place looks better when you arrive that the photos on the web site.

A little bit further to the bars than Ramming but only 5 or 10 minutes walk.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I have stayed at Ramming a few times but the last 3 trips I have stayed at Thapae Garden guest house. Its a bit cheaper and has a nice pool, No joiner fee and very friendly people. The place looks better when you arrive that the photos on the web site.

A little bit further to the bars than Ramming but only 5 or 10 minutes walk.
    I can second that as well, plus it is a short walk up to Thai Pae gate and the old city..
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    I can second that as well, plus it is a short walk up to Thai Pae gate and the old city..
    I think it was you that recommended me last year 555
    PeteGill likes this.

Does a BG in high heels think that way though? 55

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Does a BG in high heels think that way though? 55
    If she is only there for the night then how she gets home is her problem.
    If she is a keeper, the first thing I do is buy her a pair of flat sandals 5555
    Through the back soi's it is less than 5 mins from the bars on Loi Kroi ..
    Last edited by PeteGill; 30th June 2014 at 16:15.

If she is only there for the night then how she gets home is her problem.
    If she is a keeper, the first thing I do is buy her a pair of flat sandals 5555
    Through the back soi's it is less than 5 mins from the bars on Loi Kroi ..
    If you cut through the car park across the soi its about 2 minutes.

Cadet
    Pete and Ozzy,

Thanks...I will take a look. I am only there for three nights....will do a few overnights, but likely no "keepers"....I will still get talked into buying sandals or a dress or food on the way home though!

JDX
    Quote Originally Posted by levkid View Post
    thanks for the prompt reply and link....I actually just read about the Patara Elephant farm in an in flight magazine on a Delta flight from NYC to Boston. Seems to be getting a lot of positive press these days. Looks expensive, but worth it and certainly for a good cause.
    I read that exact same article on my last leg coming home from LOS. Also Delta. I was pretty intrigued by it. If you do end up going there I'd enjoy reading your take on it...along with a trip report...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Hello folks,

I am going to Hong Kong for a few days and thinking about visiting Chiang Mai for three days in late August. Is the curfew still going on? Do you have any hotel recommendations? (I have seen a few older recommendations for the Raming Lodge).

I will be in Phuket, Samui and BKK in December and thinking that it would be nice to explore a "new" place (visited Chiang Mai in 2003). Is Chiang Mai a good place to visit for three days? Is there enough to do, fun things at night, etc?

Thank you,

Lev
    I stayed at the Raming last Nov , they were doing some renovation work , but as I was out most days it didn't affect me , good location and GF

Also did the Patara Elephant Camp , great day out and you get really hands on with the Elephants
    Doi Suthep is another trip I would recommend

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I haven't been up for a while Eric....but definitely Doi Suthep and Inthanon for days out...nice to hang around the University area late afternoon for a coffee and perve on the Uni Girls...bar areas are not great...probably less stocked and ropier than Lamai....there are a couple of OK GoGo's but not a lot of show show....Foxy Lady was the pick when I was last there

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=fo...ih=714&dpr=0.9

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    If you have the money, I would recommend Le Meridien

Rooms were nice, breakfast very good and the pool was great
    And location perfect

Cadet
    Marc and Nels,

thanks for the recommendations.

Marc - is the Meridien girl friendly? No need to have any awkward conversations at 1:00AM!

thanks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Marc and Nels,

thanks for the recommendations.

Marc - is the Meridien girl friendly? No need to have any awkward conversations at 1:00AM!

thanks
    I was with my wife but I believe it would be, the bigger hotels usually are

Also, Billpay had a very nice recommendation on a smaller place his friend just redid
    looked real nice, I would PM him and ask

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast