Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By poseidon

Thread: elephant nature park a diffrent way of seeing elephants

Cadet Gold

elephant nature park a diffrent way of seeing elephants

so basically if you ride elephants or watch the shows buy the paintings they have gone through this this is called the phajaan.
    in case people where not aware.

in elephant nature park there is no riding the elephant there are no shows of the elephant there are no elephants paintings no mahouts with meet hooks or whatever there called. Elephant Nature Park - Day Tours (Chiang Mai, Thailand): Address, Phone Number, Top-Rated Attraction Reviews - TripAdvisor what you do is you hike with the elephant's and feed it. The elephants are left to there own devices and can and will do what they want this might sound boring but it is not, infact there where a couple of incidents when the elephant decided i had food i was withholding and caused me some concern thankfully several of the guides got me out of this situation more than once.
    the hike was also enjoyable in the rainforest. this was followed up by some mild white water rafting and a tour of the park, the male elephants are kept separate as they can get quite aggressive you are also advised to keep well away from the baby elephant's again they do not like humans(or maybe just tourists) and can get aggressive if people go to touch it as some people in my group were warned about just in the nick of time, they have 400 dogs and i saw a large number of water buffalo as well. other things they will show you are how they care for wounded elephants (no this is not the elephant hospital) and i saw some interesting behaviour where the elephants actually gave the older elephant an enema with its trunk while the rest of the heard played in the river. this is a cool place if you want to see elephants behaving mostly normally and supports a good cause ill post some pictures up from my camera when i get the chance and figure out how to do it.
    Last edited by poseidon; 14th October 2015 at 08:22.

Cadet Gold
    ok so you can see i have put up some of the pictures and no jests on my tubby dishevel'd appearance, i had food poisoning and strong antibiotics a bad combination with mosquitos and humidity.
    in one of the pictures you will notice one of the guests trying to get clear this is because the elephant was pushing her off to the side, this same elephant grabbed a woman by the arm with its trunk and knocked me a bit with its trunk when i had run out of bananas to give it, obviously thought i had more and was not giving up the goods lol.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by poseidon; 22nd October 2015 at 18:48.

Are you there now Poseidon?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Cadet Gold
    sadly not distantpeak,was a very good thing to do tho and one of the reasons i am going back to Chiang mai
    Quarky likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Sadly I went to one of those places on my 1st trip to Thailand. Think it was Mae Sa or something like that and it was the whole show and painting shabang. I suppose unless you do the research you are ignorant to that sort of thing. Since then I've done plenty of research and will probably give Patara a go next time I visit Chiang Mai.

Cadet Gold
    i dont blame you the thai government seems to be doing its damnedest to hide it, so much bad information out there when i was looking into elephant riding before i went. I don't know how lek has done it but millions of dollars pass through this place its bloody inspiring.
    i have heard of patara in my lonely planet but to be honest i decided against that to elephants spines are not made to carry the weight of a human plus there is no telling when an elephant may go berserk with you on it they are simply not made for humans riding them.