Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: i fore see a problem with this new alcohol ban

Cadet Gold

i fore see a problem with this new alcohol ban

Confirmed: Alcohol ban near Thai schools, universities starts TODAY - Thailand News - Thailand Forum

given Chiang mais university and temples plus a pro prohibitionist deeply conservative local government leader in Chiang mai, and the no mandated minimum distance is anyone going to be able to sell alcohol any more with anything??

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Already discussed in this thread #427 onwards

It's that time again..............

Cadet Gold
    be fair i would not have looked for it under trip reports
    Stillearly likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Already discussed in this thread #427 onwards

It's that time again..............
    Quote Originally Posted by poseidon View Post
    be fair i would not have looked for it under trip reports
    There is a difference between the two topics and I think it needed it's own thread so newbies can find it easily.

One is bans on sales from 2-5pm the other is a total ban on sales in a geographical location.

It as an absurd law and the BIB will be loving it, santa has come early for them.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    There is a huge entertainment complex with loads of student bars just down the road from the Udon Thani Uni.. The place is packed at night.
    I dropped in for a beer or two on the way back from the Cities bars on my last visit.. Beers were cheap and loads to look at. I wonder if it will now have to close down?
    The owners and staff cannot be too happy, many of the staff looked to be students themselves earning a bit of pocket money.

But I am sure that like most of Thailand, the laws will be applied to varying degrees. Or upheld more strictly when a big wig is in town.
    After all how many of these establishments are not either owned or part owned by top MIB?

Yes Pete the bloody law doesn't even have time constraints, so a bar near a school can't even start selling after all the kids have gone, say 4pm.

There are way too many places effected by this, it will have to be contested and overthrown surely???

Like all bans, it will be enforced stringently for a while I suspect. And then will slowly ease off..... Luckily there are no schools on Walking Street 555

The complex in Udon is huge, there must be about 30 or 40 bars in there. All just serving the student population... My mate and his GF used to stay close by.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Making sweeping laws is one thing, actually enforcing them is quite another.
    A very "Thai" way of doing things. Leaves plenty of room for tea money, but if they want to shut any one place, or the whole area down, it's just another piece of law that says they can. All the while paying lip service to the real issue of underage drinking in the community.

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    It as an absurd law and the BIB will be loving it, santa has come early for them.
    I don't agree with you, I don't think its a bad law per se, people sometimes forget Thailand is a Buddhist country and drinking alcohol is against one of the 5 main precepts of Buddhism.

Also drinking (excessive) is a massive issue in a lot of rural Thailand, while I don't think its the best way to deal with the issue, I agree with them giving it a go.

^^^ But won't it just move the drinking to the even less legal establishments? Or is it just a case of putting up a show?

Seven_
    Maybe, but in Australia they do a similar thing with cigarettes, they can't be publicly displayed at the point of sale. Most people people said it was a silly thing to do at first but it seems to be working and many counties followed Australia such as Thailand.

Also in Australia where they have/had huge problems with drinking in indigenous populations they have made total alcohol bans in those areas, yes unfair to those drink responsibly, but maybe better for the greater good.

In most Australian city's and parks in urban areas there is a total ban on drinking in the streets, public areas. So I don't think its that far out there to ban alcohol around schools.

I have seen the damage alcohol has done to rural Thailand, so I think its worth ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    I don't agree with you, I don't think its a bad law per se, people sometimes forget Thailand is a Buddhist country and drinking alcohol is against one of the 5 main precepts of Buddhism.

Also drinking (excessive) is a massive issue in a lot of rural Thailand, while I don't think its the best way to deal with the issue, I agree with them giving it a go.
    There is no way this law is going to effect the drinking problem, anyone that wants to drink will just go to a bar or 7/11 outside the zone of infulence, won't reduce their drinking at all.

If they want to cut down on underage drinking then they need to have the police charging establishments that sell to minors, no tea money.

As for drinking being against Buddhism well, I only ever met the very older Thai's that didn't drink, ones that were well over my age, everyone under 60 seemed to drink.

Seven_
    There is no way this law is going to effect the drinking problem, anyone that wants to drink will just go to a bar or 7/11 outside the zone of infulence, won't reduce their drinking at all.
    but it will affect the drinking within the area of influence, which by all accounts is the issue its meant to be addressing.

If they want to cut down on underage drinking then they need to have the police charging establishments that sell to minors, no tea money.
    I don't think tea money is involved, at least not around here. its education and enforcement of the law that is needed and what the new law is addressing somewhat.

As for drinking being against Buddhism well, I only ever met the very older Thai's that didn't drink, ones that were well over my age, everyone under 60 seemed to drink.
    Its the 5th one if in-case your interested "I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness."

I know a lot of Thai's that don't drink, in my family my MIL is 56 and doesn't drink (but makes rice wine to sell 555) my two sister in-laws 19 and 21 don't drink, also a lot of Thai women around don't drink. Its hard to get my wife to have more then one.

The men, that a different story 555 but I do know a small few that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_ View Post
    but it will affect the drinking within the area of influence, which by all accounts is the issue its meant to be addressing.

I don't think tea money is involved, at least not around here. its education and enforcement of the law that is needed and what the new law is addressing somewhat.

Its the 5th one if in-case your interested "I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness."

I know a lot of Thai's that don't drink, in my family my MIL is 56 and doesn't drink (but makes rice wine to sell 555) my two sister in-laws 19 and 21 don't drink, also a lot of Thai women around don't drink. Its hard to get my wife to have more then one.

The men, that a different story 555 but I do know a small few that don't.
    I know your there and see things lots of us don't, but how is this law going to effect drinking in the area?

Are you saying it will stop kids seeing people sitting at a bar drinking when they come out of school?? But then they get home and see Dad and Grandad and Brother all drinking anyhow.

If that is the intent of the law then it should have time constraints, like no sales till 5pm, not destroy businesses totally.

If tea money isn't involved in your area good luck to you, it possibly will and it certainly will in other parts of LOS. Just as the closing times have and helmet laws, licenses etc.

I do appreciate your feedback from on the ground so to speak but surely you must see the overall consequence of this law, no distance set, no time constraints, it is a nightmare going to happen and the cops will use it to feather their nest for sure.

This will have a massive devaluation on a lot of businesses and property as well, who is going to wear it??

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    ^^^
    Won't make one iota of difference in rural Thailand where lao khao is available anywhere.

Seven_
    I know your there and see things lots of us don't, but how is this law going to effect drinking in the area?
    Not a lot I would think, so I don't see the harm in it, maybe in the city, but there are not that many places selling alcohol near schools here anyway.

Are you saying it will stop kids seeing people sitting at a bar drinking when they come out of school?? But then they get home and see Dad and Grandad and Brother all drinking anyhow.
    Yes that is what I am saying, drinking around here with guys is a communal sort of thing, you don't need money to drink you go past where they are drinking and they will expect/insist on their friends stopping for a drink.

So stopping places that sell around schools may work some what.

In most homes the older people may drink, but the younger would be allowed to.

Also in the village they won't sell to school kids as they are all family and would get into trouble from the parents. Your aunty/uncle aren't going to sell you alcohol if your meant to be at school etc, more likely to give you beating for not being there.
    If that is the intent of the law then it should have time constraints, like no sales till 5pm, not destroy businesses totally.
    You can still buy alcohol any time of the day around here, the time restrictions only apply to 7/11 and tesco/bigC etc. not legal but its what happens. Sometime total removal is better the restrictions which can be harder to enforce.

I do appreciate your feedback from on the ground so to speak but surely you must see the overall consequence of this law, no distance set, no time constraints, it is a nightmare going to happen and the cops will use it to feather their nest for sure.
    As much as people seem to think. the police aren't a law unto themselves around here, yes they may bend the rules here and there for a number of reasons, but they won't put their neck on the line that much these days.

You could also argue that the law gives them flexibility to address the problem places, and leave the "not problem" places alone with without the arbitrary law making them act on all places. Yes this can be abused but so can most things.

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    ^^^
    Won't make one iota of difference in rural Thailand where lao khao is available anywhere.
    Except the new law should mean its not available around schools

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    There is a difference between the two topics and I think it needed it's own thread so newbies can find it easily.

One is bans on sales from 2-5pm the other is a total ban on sales in a geographical location.

Just pointing out there had already been some discussion on the subject .....

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    Just pointing out there had already been some discussion on the subject .....
    I wasn't having a go, I just think there are many things talked about on threads that need to have a life of their own.

For example I think we need to have one in the general section that outlines all the things that newbies need to know, No patting on the head, taking shoes off, no booze from 2-5 pm no booze on holidays and list them. terms like Bar fine, long time, short time, etc.

Cadet Gold
    big question at the moment has there been any further crackdowns by the government in Chiang mai, if this is to stop under age drinking then the answer its obvious, surely fining the parents of the child responsible and charging the bar owner taking licence away from the bar ect is how its stopped, wont take long before they start religiously checking everyone's id. But this would require a police force that was not completely bent.
    What this law will do is put a lot of restaurants in financial trouble a lot of places break about even on the food or make a reasonable profit and make the rest from drink sales. i dont see how this wont cause a rise in food prices at restaurants to make up the difference and of course your happy trip advisor family friendly traveller who wants everything for nothing will love the price hike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast