Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Mae Hong Son loop again

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Mae Hong Son loop again

Its been 3 years since I did the loop and will be taking off again on the 21st March with some friends.

What's along the way that's worth a look???. Also being dry and hot is there any swimming places I'm guessing the water falls will be dry.

I was planning
    CM to Pai the first day.
    Then 2nd day Pai to Mae Hong Son
    Then 3rd day Mae Hong son, Khun Yuam, Mae Surin waterfall to Mae Sariang for the night.
    Then day 4 Mae Sariang to Doi Inthanon and back to CM,

I have a mate with me that doesn't have a lot of riding experience. I am a little worried about the distance for him so may take the short route will see how he goes.

Any suggestions?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Its been 3 years since I did the loop and will be taking off again on the 21st March with some friends.

What's along the way that's worth a look???. Also being dry and hot is there any swimming places I'm guessing the water falls will be dry.

I was planning
    CM to Pai the first day.
    Then 2nd day Pai to Mae Hong Son
    Then 3rd day Mae Hong son, Khun Yuam, Mae Surin waterfall to Mae Sariang for the night.
    Then day 4 Mae Sariang to Doi Inthanon and back to CM,

I have a mate with me that doesn't have a lot of riding experience. I am a little worried about the distance for him so may take the short route will see how he goes.

Any suggestions?
    I'll try to join you guys. It's really only an easy 3 day trip... 200 km per day with stops along the way.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Welcome to Ian, think Peter was joining us to Pai.

Last time I did it in 3 days

I booked a night at Baan Pai Riverside Resort in Pai but the rest will take it as it comes.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    absolutely nothing at Khun Yuam. accommodation options there?

much better to stay 2 nights at Mae Sariang (or Pai),IMO. you could go for a ride down the 105 towards Tak and turnaround and head back. plenty to do and see around there.

the caves are between Pai and MHS. might be worth a look as it's only a short trip between towns.

Pai canyon...

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attra..._Province.html

OZZYGUY likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Pang Mapha Caves well worth a looksee.

Thai Dreaming - Wonders of the Underworld - Pang Mapha Caves

The accommodation is rustic but ok.... nice place to chill out this time of year.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    absolutely nothing at Khun Yuam. accommodation options there?

much better to stay 2 nights at Mae Sariang (or Pai),IMO. you could go for a ride down the 105 towards Tak and turnaround and head back. plenty to do and see around there.

the caves are between Pai and MHS. might be worth a look as it's only a short trip between towns.

Pai canyon...
    Rather ride my MTB bike along that ridge......55

We can go straight through Khun Yuam to Mae Sariang then. Yeah was thinking the caves. Got a bit lost last time and didn't see them.

Last time I ended up at some mud spa think it was near MHS. Was a good laugh with the mud all over us. Would like to go back to that if I can find it.

I tried to find that last time I went and got lost. Will add that to the list and find it this time.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Pang Mapha Caves well worth a looksee.

Thai Dreaming - Wonders of the Underworld - Pang Mapha Caves

The accommodation is rustic but ok.... nice place to chill out this time of year.

Any good spots for a swim or water falls this time of year?

^ not really. lucky for major rivers to be flowing.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

I tried to find that last time I went and got lost. Will add that to the list and find it this time.
    SOPPONG-LOOKING FOR THE BEST ACCOMMODATION TREKKING, CAVING, KAYAKING, RAFTING AND WILD NATURE IN THE SOPPONG-PAI-MAE HONG SON AREA?

The turn-off can be easy to miss even with GPS. Research well, b4 leaving home.

I'm sure there will be water flowing and possibly the best time to visit. Email John and ask.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

^ young rivo got knocked back on the kok river cruise last month because the water wasn't high enough.

the sources of those 2 areas come from the same region.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ young rivo got knocked back on the kok river cruise last month because the water wasn't high enough.

the sources of those 2 areas come from the same region.
    True but ... bit of a difference between cruise and swim depth. Pang Mapha caves would hold water all year and the open swimming area is like a lagoon.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

I've been all over that country between Mae Sariang and Mae Hong Son. I would rather go there than Pai. I've even got home made maps with GPS co-ordinates. The rivers are big enough to swim in.

You will be fighting the fucking silver vans from Mae Taeng to Pai. They START to thin out as you go towards Mae Hong Son. I prefer to start at the southern route and go to Mae Sariang first.

There are some nice caves in a national park just east of Mae La Noi. There are some inexpensive little A-frame cabins where I usually stay in Mae La Noi.

Or a bit more upscale accommodation at the Mae La Noi resort.

Mae Hong Son market area in the evening

There's not really a whole lot to do in that town... but sleep.

Road hazards are pretty common, so you have to pay attention. And, the fucking silver vans traveling in a convoy will NOT give way even if they are traveling in your lane and coming right at you.

Rivo and OZZYGUY like this.

The 10 km road out to see the caves from Mae La Noi is quite pretty, but you are not allowed to take photos while IN the cave. There is a steep, winding road that goes up from the parking and you have to leave your bikes and cars at the park office at the bottom. You get a ride up on a songtow. I chose to walk back down.

I preferred to explore the Yuam river and search for mahseer to catch

One pool I knew had mahseer I was about to fish and some young ladies came down for a swim and beat me to it.

I had caught mahseer there before.

Whats the road like after MHS when you turn off the 108 and head to Doi Inthanon cutting out Mae Sariang (Plan B if its too much for them)

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Whats the road like after MHS when you turn off the 108 and head to Doi Inthanon cutting out Mae Sariang (Plan B if its too much for them)

Most people will tell you that the road is very poor, I have done that route twice now, last time was last year, and alot of the road has been upgraded and its fine, lots of market gardens out that way and some steep hills, getting stuck behind a loaded up pickup will be about your biggest worry, no problem on bikes though.

PM Norabunga as he knows that shortcut like the back of his hand.

Like Ian I prefer to go to Mae Sarieng first and then upto MHS then onto Pai then back to CM

OZZYGUY likes this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Thanks for the photos, Gavin. It brings back great memories.
    Rivo likes this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    True but ... bit of a difference between cruise and swim depth. Pang Mapha caves would hold water all year and the open swimming area is like a lagoon.

Ozzy you could ring Cave Lodge when in CM and get an update on water levels, I doubt the river would be flowing too much, probably have a few swimming holes though.....................................

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Most people will tell you that the road is very poor, I have done that route twice now, last time was last year, and alot of the road has been upgraded and its fine, lots of market gardens out that way and some steep hills, getting stuck behind a loaded up pickup will be about your biggest worry, no problem on bikes though.
    even the odd trail bike to commandeer 555

that way is something like 160kms shorter.

351 (Medium).jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast