Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Budget Living in Chiang Mai

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I was pleasantly suprised by it.

I stayed on that high end street on the water
    But went all around.....wasn't as bad as I anticipated
    I was put up about 10 km from the trendy part of town the first time I went. Took us about a week to jump through the nightmare bureaucracy a work permit and bringing in Scientific gear into the country will force you to deal with. We stopped going out after awhile because we didn't want to spend an hour plus driving 10 K in the worst traffic I have ever seen where they use the horn as a turn signal. That and the kids knocking on your window at every intersection begging for money. Whole blocks of families on the street living under tarps on the side walk so you get to see them bath and cook. I also had the pleasure of going deep into some of the worst slums near the port where they stored our gear. No worries about safety though as about 15 guys were hired to keep an eye in it. 555 No, joke.

If your down by the Gateway to India and Leopold's I can imagine it wouldn't be so bad. But that is the "expensive accommodation on top" Chob is talking about. Now, Goa, it was pretty nice, but so many other places I would rather go for a beach. I did enjoy the very liberal pharmaceutical laws they had there. 555 The Concierge at the Hilton was making runs for me, had it all delivered.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    I was put up about 10 km from the trendy part of town the first time I went. Took us about a week to jump through the nightmare bureaucracy a work permit and bringing in Scientific gear into the country will force you to deal with. We stopped going out after awhile because we didn't want to spend an hour plus driving 10 K in the worst traffic I have ever seen where they use the horn as a turn signal. That and the kids knocking on your window at every intersection begging for money. Whole blocks of families on the street living under tarps on the side walk so you get to see them bath and cook. I also had the pleasure of going deep into some of the worst slums near the port where they stored our gear. No worries about safety though as about 15 guys were hired to keep an eye in it. 555 No, joke.

If your down by the Gateway to India and Leopold's I can imagine it wouldn't be so bad. But that is the "expensive accommodation on top" Chob is talking about. Now, Goa, it was pretty nice, but so many other places I would rather go for a beach. I did enjoy the very liberal pharmaceutical laws they had there. 555 The Concierge at the Hilton was making runs for me, had it all delivered.
    Yeah I was down by Leopold's.

I actually enjoyed India and want to go back
    It helps one of my very best friends lives there....

My favorite thing about India is how much expats and locals mix at all different establishments
    Probably the most I have ever seen of that

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I have mixed feelings about these vids because there are so many variables , plus they've been done to death ...
    Sure , I appreciate the guys skills with vid ...if it was later stated this was part of his Arts Degree , I'd say , "Well done".

In the novel Shantaram , when the main protagonist, 'Lin' ( an escaped Aus bank robber ) asks the Indian peasant 'go for' named 'Prabaker' to source him a room in Bombay , the Indian answers , something like , "Sir. I can find you a room that is so much cheap that nobody is wanting to stay there !"
    So it goes with these sort of videos.
    Some things are cheaper than you'd think , some cost well more.

My view is that if you are a fairly 'knock-about' or 'make do' type , then you will get by happily on $35k AUD a year.
    Lets call it $36k , and it neatly divides to $3k a month.

That actually sounds like a lot to me now I calculate it back to weekly , which I guess only proves how expensive the world has gotten.
    Thats $750 aud or 20k baht a week ...where does it go ??

Geez I wish I hadnt read this thread ...
    That does sound like lot ... 36k a year, there would people living on the same or less here in Aus i would think, in retirement, i guess if you were freehold with a property, thats a big variable ...

but then you would have to compare what sort of life you could have here on 36k v LOS ... if u dont have a place to live free then no comparsion, and if you did, then probably you are getting closer, in terms of having some fun for your 750 a week

As you say the numbers have changed in both countries over the last decade

Back to the 36k in either places, 20 years, ( doesnt take long ) thats 720k ..... hmmm better start saving ..55
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Who can predict x-rates ?
    When came here to live I budget estimated on 28bt = $1 AUD.
    By the years end it was 23.
    For the next 6 years it averaged about 29.5 , and I was happy.
    The last coupla years Ive averaged about 25.5 ...
    These differences dont mean to much on a holiday , but equate to a few thousand dollars over a year.

Then theres 'returns' on investments.
    I was on near 7% bank interest ( fixed ) when I came over - but would be lucky to get 2.5% today.

So therse plenty of ways never to reach that magic goal of Thailand on $50 ( or whatever ) a day stories ...

BUT . Best I put it this way.
    If I had to live on $50 a day , I'd much prefer to live on it in Thailand...
    kaptainrob, 1080 and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    That does sound like lot ... 36k a year, there would people living on the same or less here in Aus i would think, in retirement, i guess if you were freehold with a property, thats a big variable ...

but then you would have to compare what sort of life you could have here on 36k v LOS ... if u dont have a place to live free then no comparsion, and if you did, then probably you are getting closer, in terms of having some fun for your 750 a week

As you say the numbers have changed in both countries over the last decade

Back to the 36k in either places, 20 years, ( doesnt take long ) thats 720k ..... hmmm better start saving ..55
    I make $500 a week but no rent or fuel costs so you can do it, thats around $32K a year, two trips to Thailand a year and can still send some money to the family every month. When i retire I will have a very limited budget but we own our home in Thailand and I should have enough for a new truck before I have to draw down on my Super.

If I can get an OAP at 67 I should be OK but I have a young wife and she can always get a job in the local CP factory and bring in 9K a month while I do the house husband thing.

So long as bombs aren't raining down on you life can be what you make it.
    Last edited by 1080; 9th April 2017 at 00:06.
    Sydney and obes like this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I've never really budgeted here...I do what I want when I want to...however my yearly spend dropped down drastically after the first 3-4 years here when I lived in Phuket..it went something like this...

year 1...2 million-ish

year 2...1.8m

year 3...1.5m

year 4...1.3m

since I have lived in Samui I have bounced around the 1m-1.2m mark...as I have said in here before the majority of that goes on partying and travel....the rest mostly on rent and food...I don't run a car and the bike is as cheap as chips to run

I can spend 60K in a week partying in BKK...and then come back to Samui and spend 60K in the next whole month...swings and roundabouts
    I am looking at 1 - 1.5M.... I doubt I will spend that, but that is what I will budget for. I have pretty well got the party animal out of me, and am now way quieter than I once was.. I can remember some absolutely epic (and exxy) afternoons in the Rock Hard, back in the day.. But those days (and the arvo RH) are gone now.
    bacwaan likes this.
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Who can predict x-rates ?
    When came here to live I budget estimated on 28bt = $1 AUD.
    By the years end it was 23.
    For the next 6 years it averaged about 29.5 , and I was happy.
    The last coupla years Ive averaged about 25.5 ...
    These differences dont mean to much on a holiday , but equate to a few thousand dollars over a year.

Then theres 'returns' on investments.
    I was on near 7% bank interest ( fixed ) when I came over - but would be lucky to get 2.5% today.

So therse plenty of ways never to reach that magic goal of Thailand on $50 ( or whatever ) a day stories ...

BUT . Best I put it this way.
    If I had to live on $50 a day , I'd much prefer to live on it in Thailand...
    $50 a day excluding accommodation?
    I could do that anywhere in the world and have plenty for fun.

I only spend about $15/day in food....if rhat
    1-2 for breakfast
    5 for lunch
    5-8 on dinner

And I don't even really try to stretch that.....I coud get lunch and dinner down a few dollars.

Extra leftover combined for nights out

I had a think about it , and , in the form of , "the about $3k aud month budget " , theres some months just go...

Health insurance you have to pay for here , theres no medicare , so thats about half a months budget spent over the year.
    Doctors bills , dentist visits , any sort of meds - probably another half a month.
    So near a month gone on health matters for the 3 of us.

A coupla trips up to Bkk to see friends each year , a few trips to the baan and/or Samui , another half of a month.
    A bigger trip , like to Laos or Indo or Cambodia ... the rest of a month gone.

I just went home to Aus ... over a month gone in 2 weeks holiday - and I sort of did it cheap !
    Another months budget gone.

Running a car ...10k baht insurance , 15kbt in repairs , petrol ( ??!! ) , service ... plus a scooter ...
    Half a month?
    A 'nice' present for my partner once a year on her birthday is always over half a month.
    Combined - another month gone at least...

All the other costs I consider 'normal' running costs for a family ...
    But just the things above totals 4 months of budget gone most years on stuff that arent 'must haves' , but make life pleasant for this average sort of bloke.
    Last edited by Chob; 9th April 2017 at 03:50.
    bacwaan likes this.

I had a think about it , and , in the form of , "the about $3k aud month budget " , theres some months just go...

Health insurance you have to pay for here , theres no medicare , so thats about half a months budget spent over the year.
    Doctors bills , dentist visits , any sort of meds - probably another half a month.
    So near a month gone on health matters for the 3 of us.

A coupla trips up to Bkk to see friends each year , a few trips to the baan and/or Samui , another half of a month.
    A bigger trip , like to Laos or Indo or Cambodia ... the rest of a month gone.

I just went home to Aus ... over a month gone in 2 weeks holiday - and I sort of did it cheap !
    Another months budget gone.

Running a car ...10k baht insurance , 15kbt in repairs , petrol ( ??!! ) , service ... plus a scooter ...
    Half a month?
    A 'nice' present for my partner once a year on her birthday is always over half a month.
    Combined - another month gone at least...

All the other costs I consider 'normal' running costs for a family ...
    But just the things above totals 4 months of budget gone most years on stuff that arent 'must haves' , but make life pleasant for this average sort of bloke.
    Another major positive of living in Thailand
    Very cheap flights to BKK and neighbouring countries

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Your main cost ...rent is still very cheap just about anywhere in LOS.
    Decent digs can still be found in the 8-10k baht/month range.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Loads of the old hippy types to be seen living around CM, so what you spend is realy as they say "Up to you"

^ loads of retirees from all over the world.
    PeteGill likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ loads of retirees from all over the world.
    Exactly, some on healthy budgets and some quite content to live on a shoe string.. That is why as much as it is interesting to talk about how much a person would need to live on. There is no fixed amount, unless specific needs are factored in..

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    I make $500 a week but no rent or fuel costs
    So thats $850 maybe even $$950 depending on what you want to live, in fact through in another $50 to have a car sitting in your driveway, plus fuel.... if in Sydney your are now on over a thousand a week .... you pay for electricty and water ?
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Back when I had my business in Sydney I was paying more off my mortgage than I live on here annually....I was also putting more into my superannuation than I spend in a year here as well...and running two cars was pretty similar to what I spend here too

of course these were my choices, my business was doing well so I treated myself (and my wife) to a few luxuries ....I could have chosen less expensive options on all of the above....I have no doubt I could trim up my expenditure here too if I really need to..but I will cross that bridge if I ever get to it

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    So thats $850 maybe even $$950 depending on what you want to live, in fact through in another $50 to have a car sitting in your driveway, plus fuel.... if in Sydney your are now on over a thousand a week .... you pay for electricty and water ?
    don't think he does

A new crown was prescribed by my dentist here today.
    15,000 baht ...cash in advance !
    So theres a weeks budget gone ...

It aint cheap to stay , "Hansum Maan " ! 555
    Tingtong likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12