Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Budget Living in Chiang Mai

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar

Budget Living in Chiang Mai

I've never been to Chiang Mai, but I can tell this guy is a bit of a newbie as well. That said, I think this is still a good guide/experiment on living cheaply in CM.

Interested in comments from our CM vets on the accuracy of the info presented here.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    pretty easy to live on a tight budget if you exclude travel, insurance, visa and split the costs of a room with the TG...

And add zero costs for parties and trips because he lets his friends pay for it... Keep that up and you find yourself without the TG and without any friends quickly! 555
    Quarky and Bacon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    pretty easy to live on a tight budget if you exclude travel, insurance, visa and split the costs of a room with the TG...

And add zero costs for parties and trips because he lets his friends pay for it... Keep that up and you find yourself without the TG and without any friends quickly! 555
    55 yeah I got that as well. For him it was a one month experiment though, which proved interesting. I'd say double that budget and you should be good! Well.. as far as normal, everyday living goes anyway. Plus he didn't budget for entertainment. So triple it and then double that just to make sure 555.
    Last edited by Bacon; 6th April 2017 at 23:33.
    PeteGill likes this.

Love this dude.

PeteGill likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    When I go to Chiang Mai for mountain biking I generally spend less in two weeks that I spend in Perth. It cost me around $70 per day. Hotel, food, driver and a few beers etc.

When I was single it cost me a lot more for some reason....55
    kaptainrob and Bacon like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I've never been one to want to budget...

Even when younger I'd rather work a ton and have money on pocket for the small amount of time I had free than not work and not have money

I'd rather work 7 days a week and enjoy that money with the few hours I had to enjoy away from work

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    When I go to Chiang Mai for mountain biking I generally spend less in two weeks that I spend in Perth. It cost me around $70 per day. Hotel, food, driver and a few beers etc.

When I was single it cost me a lot more for some reason....55
    During the week I spend very litte....I could easily make do with his 360baht a day
    But on weekends I can easily drop 5k-7500 baht on a night out

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I've never been one to want to budget...

Even when younger I'd rather work a ton and have money on pocket for the small amount of time I had free than not work and not have money

I'd rather work 7 days a week and enjoy that money with the few hours I had to enjoy away from work
    I'm very much the same, but it's always good to learn these things. There might come a time when I decide I just want to travel non-stop for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I can easily drop 5k-7500 baht on a night out
    5 to 7? They must not be very good nights. You getting old or something? 555
    Last edited by Bacon; 7th April 2017 at 19:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I'm very much the same, but it's always good to learn these things. There might come a time when I decide I just want to travel non-stop for a while.
    I guess that's my point
    Sure....you'd have to budget a bit of deciding to travel for a long period.
    But I'd rather be home working than deprive myself

There is a point where it goes from budgeting to depriving yourself

If I was travelling I would budget by staying in or being out on the beach not spending but I'd have to have at least 2 nights out a week and a good meal once or twice a week or I'd just stay home
    Bacon likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    I've never really budgeted here...I do what I want when I want to...however my yearly spend dropped down drastically after the first 3-4 years here when I lived in Phuket..it went something like this...

year 1...2 million-ish

year 2...1.8m

year 3...1.5m

year 4...1.3m

since I have lived in Samui I have bounced around the 1m-1.2m mark...as I have said in here before the majority of that goes on partying and travel....the rest mostly on rent and food...I don't run a car and the bike is as cheap as chips to run

I can spend 60K in a week partying in BKK...and then come back to Samui and spend 60K in the next whole month...swings and roundabouts

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    I've never really budgeted here...I do what I want when I want to...however my yearly spend dropped down drastically after the first 3-4 years here when I lived in Phuket..it went something like this...

year 1...2 million-ish

year 2...1.8m

year 3...1.5m

year 4...1.3m

since I have lived in Samui I have bounced around the 1m-1.2m mark...as I have said in here before the majority of that goes on partying and travel....the rest mostly on rent and food...I don't run a car and the bike is as cheap as chips to run

I can spend 60K in a week partying in BKK...and then come back to Samui and spend 60K in the next whole month...swings and roundabouts
    You no doubt enjoy yourself Khun Baccy(as you should). You can have a semi comfortable life in Oz on some of those figures 55.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Haven't looked at the vid but will when i get home and can use my laptop.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    You no doubt enjoy yourself Khun Baccy(as you should). You can have a semi comfortable life in Oz on some of those figures 55.
    I have a pretty decent/fun life here Khun Bacon....if I didn't I would go home to Sydney and get back amongst it there...I also had a pretty fun/decent life going on there before I made the move....but it is a pretty pared down life compared to what I had there...Mercs/BMW's, houses/apartments with views of the harbour, expensive restaurants and nightclubs etc etc...however I find that I just don't need that stuff here..in fact I don't want it...I am happy with my 60sqm rental house and a bike...knowing that if I get chucked out tomorrow I will leave very little behind here

But I am prety sure that AUS$40K a year wouldn't go nearly as far back in Sydney as it does here...heck...I wouldn't be able to rent one of my own houses for that each year
    Bacon and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I have mixed feelings about these vids because there are so many variables , plus they've been done to death ...
    Sure , I appreciate the guys skills with vid ...if it was later stated this was part of his Arts Degree , I'd say , "Well done".

In the novel Shantaram , when the main protagonist, 'Lin' ( an escaped Aus bank robber ) asks the Indian peasant 'go for' named 'Prabaker' to source him a room in Bombay , the Indian answers , something like , "Sir. I can find you a room that is so much cheap that nobody is wanting to stay there !"
    So it goes with these sort of videos.
    Some things are cheaper than you'd think , some cost well more.

My view is that if you are a fairly 'knock-about' or 'make do' type , then you will get by happily on $35k AUD a year.
    Lets call it $36k , and it neatly divides to $3k a month.

That actually sounds like a lot to me now I calculate it back to weekly , which I guess only proves how expensive the world has gotten.
    Thats $750 aud or 20k baht a week ...where does it go ??

Geez I wish I hadnt read this thread ...
    Sydney, bacwaan, Bacon and 1 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I have mixed feelings about these vids because there are so many variables , plus they've been done to death ...
    Sure , I appreciate the guys skills with vid ...if it was later stated this was part of his Arts Degree , I'd say , "Well done".

In the novel Shantaram , when the main protagonist, 'Lin' ( an escaped Aus bank robber ) asks the Indian peasant 'go for' named 'Prabaker' to source him a room in Bombay , the Indian answers , something like , "Sir. I can find you a room that is so much cheap that nobody is wanting to stay there !"

My view is that if you are a fairly 'knock-about' or 'make do' type , then you will get by happily on $35k AUD a year.

That actually sounds like a lot to me now I calculate it back to weekly , which I guess only proves how expensive the world has gotten.

You, and most expats in Thailand, financially support a Thai family..

Would be interesting to see the Thai vid "how to live rich and still support the family back home" or "Free holiday to Sidney" 555
    Cippy likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar

Shantaram is a great book. I've been thinking on picking it it again. Actually listening to it. One of my favorite readers is a man named Humphrey Bower who read all the the Bryce Courtney books narrates the novel. He does a wide range of fantastic accents.

Funny, the author describes Mumbai in much the same fashion as I, only he manages to have a love for it that I don't. 555
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    LOS compared to say 8-10 years ago is probably 100% more expensive.
    LT 1000 baht
    Bottle of Leo 38 baht
    32 baht to the AUD

Etc etc
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    LOS compared to say 8-10 years ago is probably 100% more expensive.
    LT 1000 baht
    Bottle of Leo 38 baht
    32 baht to the AUD

Etc etc
    For me as a holidayer Thailand still offers decent value, especially in 2 categories.

Accommodation.....you can still get great deals for hotels. Especially during parts of the year.

Casual dining/drinking......You can go out with a 1000baht and have a decent meal and a few beers

Although I pay about 1k baht to go to my local pub here for an awesome steak and 2 beers.....so not bad.

But I treat Thailand as an International destination.....especially BKK.....so it can add up

But I still consider it decent value.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    Shantaram is a great book. I've been thinking on picking it it again. Actually listening to it. One of my favorite readers is a man named Humphrey Bower who read all the the Bryce Courtney books narrates the novel. He does a wide range of fantastic accents.

Funny, the author describes Mumbai in much the same fashion as I, only he manages to have a love for it that I don't. 555
    Me to !
    Bombay was a hell hole with expensive accommodation on top !
    Cippy likes this.

Me to !
    Bombay was a hell hole with expensive accommodation on top !
    I was pleasantly suprised by it.

I stayed on that high end street on the water
    But went all around.....wasn't as bad as I anticipated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast