Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Mosquitoes ...

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar

Mosquitoes ...

I've read a lot of comments on various sites about a lot of mosquitoes in various parts of Thailand. Is this much of a problem up north in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai in July?

If so, what repellent seems to work best?

I do not think I saw a single solitary mosquito on my trip in November in either BKK or Phuket.
    Last edited by vanguy77; 26th April 2011 at 15:20. Reason: adding and rearranging

Chiang Rai was abuzz with with mozzies in March which I found surprising as the countryside was so dry. Chiang Mai was not nearly as bad.
    Boots, Watsons or any pharmacies have repellents or you could take your own DEET with you.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I found Nong Khai bearable, but during the evening I would use one of those electrified tennis racquets 555

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    I was eaten alive in CM and CR and didn't cause any issues other then bring itchy, I was stroungly recommend using a good repellent. In the past i have found Bushmans to be the best (Aussie brand though) but they have a lot of the stuff over there. At our work they had Bushmans offered to the on-road guys and they had to read the MSDS (materials safety data sheet) on it and it actually says do not allow it to make contact with skin. Our work then not allowing the use of it... Never had issues myself

Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    I've read a lot of comments on various sites about a lot of mosquitoes in various parts of Thailand. Is this much of a problem up north in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai in July?

If so, what repellent seems to work best?

I do not think I saw a single solitary mosquito on my trip in November in either BKK or Phuket.
    I was in Bangkok all November.... and I made sure my patio doors were closed just before dusk (ie around 5.00pm) as the mozzies would swarm in otherwise... I bought some good plug-ins for killing mozzies in the room though... from Family mart.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    You need to buy a "Tropical strength repelant" Deet 45% or more.

Use spareingly, it is toxic.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Ok, this is all really helpful. At least I know to be prepared! I'm particularly worried about visiting Nui's village, as it sits beside a meandering river in Phitsanulok province in the middle of the country, right on the border with Isan. Strong repellent it is ..... I just dont' want to "repel" Nui while using it!! 555

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    I found Nong Khai bearable, but during the evening I would use one of those electrified tennis racquets 555
    Love those racquets makes it fun to kill mozzies.
    The little packets of repellent you get from any shop work a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Love those racquets makes it fun to kill mozzies.
    The little packets of repellent you get from any shop work a treat.
    Was able to buy one here in Oz.... not as powerful as the one's you get in LOS

Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Ok, this is all really helpful. At least I know to be prepared! I'm particularly worried about visiting Nui's village, as it sits beside a meandering river in Phitsanulok province in the middle of the country, right on the border with Isan. Strong repellent it is ..... I just dont' want to "repel" Nui while using it!! 555
    It's worth reading up on Health Warnings for the region, and if at all worried, get the shots for Japanese Encephalitis, especially if visiting outlying villages.

Staying in city areas only, I figured pretty safe, as disease-carrying insects are territorial and Dengue-fever is the major disease to be concerned about, but with less fatal ramifications.

CR mozzies were the size of B52 bombers yet barely touched me, going for Jo instead. Sweeter blood and no hair to navigate through!
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Was able to buy one here in Oz.... not as powerful as the one's you get in LOS
    Their ones fry the little suckers 5555555

Their ones fry the little suckers 5555555
    I've seen ones you plug into mains power turn em to a puff of smoke 5555

I've seen ones you plug into mains power turn em to a puff of smoke 5555
    Not seen one of those i want one....

Not seen one of those i want one....
    I had one in my apartment in BKK. You can buy them in Tesco. Mine was in the shape of a teddy bear... 555

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I had one in my apartment in BKK. You can buy them in Tesco. Mine was in the shape of a teddy bear... 555
    Aww how sweet you can cuddle them to death.55555

Aww how sweet you can cuddle them to death.55555
    You wanna wake up in the middle of the night and see a glowing, grinning grizzly smiling at you.... 555