The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Distantpeak
  • 2 Post By Stillearly
  • 1 Post By OZZYGUY
  • 1 Post By bacwaan

Thread: Chiang Mai late October

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

Chiang Mai late October

Let me say this is a back-up plan so if I don't go, you can't take the piss 5555

I can't believe I got Ao to agree to leaving 5-6 days open on my visit in October

Our preference is to spend it all down south starting in Krabi but if there is too much rain, there is a direct flight from Krabi to CM
    So we'd book 2-3 nights in Krabi and play it by ear

I read it's the end of rainy season, so I'd imagine it's nice and green for some nice drives?

Thanks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I don't go to Chiang Mai until November, but even then the weather is not reliable. Right now, Chiang Mai has been the wettest in recent memory. My lady friend has been moaning about it on Facebook. There is no doubt in my mind that there is a global climate change. Whether it is/was caused by man is highly doubtful, but that does not change the fact that what ever weather we are presently getting, we get too much of... along with all the problems that go with it. Floods or droughts seem to be the norm.

My suggestion is to play it by ear and always have a back up plan. But you already know that.

I have about 5 different spots I'd be happy to hit and will play it by ear

As for global climate changes, they say the seaweed we experienced in Mexico may be the "new normal"

Sucks

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    I stayed in Ao Nang in January. Where you thinking for Krabi?
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Australia, South Africa, Germany... soon to be joined by Chiang Mai.. 55
    OZZYGUY and Stillearly like this.
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I stayed in Ao Nang in January. Where you thinking for Krabi?
    So Nang above the main street

Has a nice hotel with small private pool

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Yes!
    Let's do them all.....might be hard in 8 days though

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    read somewhere planning a holiday is more enjoyable than actually going on it .... and it's something most people do whilst they are at the office , thought about M26 straight away
    Distantpeak and OZZYGUY like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน supersub's Avatar
    Honestly I would pick somewhere with more things to do in the rain. In Ao nang most of the activists are around islands or beaches. If it's raining then you may get bored.

At least in Bangkok you've got plenty of things to see and do indoors.

I would even try push it back a month as November is on paper the start of the dry season. I've found over the last few years those hard and fast changing weather months are blurred so it can be a bit hit and miss.

I'd be gutted if I booked a week somewhere and t was raining every day.

Quote Originally Posted by supersub View Post
    Honestly I would pick somewhere with more things to do in the rain. In Ao nang most of the activists are around islands or beaches. If it's raining then you may get bored.

At least in Bangkok you've got plenty of things to see and do indoors.

I would even try push it back a month as November is on paper the start of the dry season. I've found over the last few years those hard and fast changing weather months are blurred so it can be a bit hit and miss.

I'd be gutted if I booked a week somewhere and t was raining every day.
    The flight was 450cad r/t and to change it I lose that great pricing
    It's such a bargain I don't want to

I may be in Asia in September for work and looked to just change it to then stay for holiday but can't
    If I go in September then I will still stay in BKK for 4 days after

I've been to Thailand every single month and only once was the rain do bad it affected my holiday. Once in March

October is the end of rainy season so I am sure there will he plenty of days that it doesn't rain or rains for just a bit

I am just being very open and not booking much to see where we can go depending on of there is rain

I'm really not too concerned at all with the weather, just being open on where we end, which I actually prefer anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    read somewhere planning a holiday is more enjoyable than actually going on it .... and it's something most people do whilst they are at the office , thought about M26 straight away
    That certainly is me! 5555
    I love researching and planning trips

But the thing is I do go on a ton of trips a year. I just think about places I should or want to go
    So I probably think about 10/15 different places a year I want to go to and usually end up going to about 3 of them
    And with the vast knowledge of lots of different places on here I see no reason not to ask

The way I figure even when not going the info given on particular places is useful for anyone that may come about it and is going or deciding to go

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    I will be in CM 24th November.

I mostly go to CM in rain season, never bothers me and dosnt rain all day.

Paul have you been to CM before?

If you want do do some drives head up to Pai for a night or two or maybe do 3 or 4 days doing Mai hong son loop.

Do a drive up to CR and explore the golden triangle area.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    I will be in CM 24th November.

I mostly go to CM in rain season, never bothers me and dosnt rain all day.

Paul have you been to CM before?

If you want do do some drives head up to Pai for a night or two or maybe do 3 or 4 days doing Mai hong son loop.

Do a drive up to CR and explore the golden triangle area.
    Yes I have been to CM a few times but never did a drive and Pai is on my radar

That is exactly why I asked if it must be nice and green late October
    I'd imagine the vegetation is very scenic for nice drives at that time if you don't have too much rain

My preference is 3 days in Krabi and then drive/stay around that area for 5 more days
    Possibly Koh Lanta, Koh Yai
    Khan Lak is out because too many ghosts!

But if the weather looks too rainy and CM looks ok it's an easy and affordable direct flight up there

After a few days in Bangkok i want to travel around more this trip. I'm in Thailand for 28 days so I can plan as I go I hope. The north is very appealing with plenty of places to see. I am not sure how to play it on this visit though. Do I book a place in CM, use it as a base and do a few trips from CM or move about and stay in different areas spending one or two nights in each place. I like the idea of having a base because then I can trip around traveling light knowing that my stuff is in safe keeping. I will be using buses, taxis etc. Planning on staying north for about 6 nights max.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    After a few days in Bangkok i want to travel around more this trip. I'm in Thailand for 28 days so I can plan as I go I hope. The north is very appealing with plenty of places to see. I am not sure how to play it on this visit though. Do I book a place in CM, use it as a base and do a few trips from CM or move about and stay in different areas spending one or two nights in each place. I like the idea of having a base because then I can trip around traveling light knowing that my stuff is in safe keeping. I will be using buses, taxis etc. Planning on staying north for about 6 nights max.
    Just book a night or two, see how you go and if needed book extra
    Rockitt likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ yep...from now until the middle of Dec is pretty much low season in all parts of Thailand with the exception of Loy Krathong week which is like peak season in the Chiang Mai area..so take advantage of this and keep your options open as much as you can..in some places you will get a better walk-in rate than booking.com etc will give you as well...
    Rockitt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    ^ yep...from now until the middle of Dec is pretty much low season in all parts of Thailand with the exception of Loy Krathong week which is like peak season in the Chiang Mai area..so take advantage of this and keep your options open as much as you can..in some places you will get a better walk-in rate than booking.com etc will give you as well...
    That’s good to know. I’ve never been one for planning to much ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Actually I was shocked at the prices of 5 star hotels in CM for this time of year
    Not a good deal at all

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Actually I was shocked at the prices of 5 star hotels in CM for this time of year
    Not a good deal at all
    probably should have said...this last week was "golden week" holidays in China and there are still loads of Chinese Tourists about in LoS atm...particularly CM, for which the Chinese seem to have a special affinity...many Chinese will run their holidays out until the "Double Ninth" holiday which is the 17th October this year..it marks the end of the season