Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ideas For A Visit To Chiang Mai And The North Of Thailand

  1. #1
    Cadet Gold giggsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Yeovil, Somerset, United Kingdom
    Posts
    231

    Ideas For A Visit To Chiang Mai And The North Of Thailand

    Just a few ideas for a visit to Chiang Mai and the
    North of Thailand. These ideas are more for the tourist
    niche.

    Aside from the more tourist trails, where in Chiang Mai and the North
    of Thailand do you like or would you like to visit.


    A few Ideas For A 10 Day Visit To The North Of Thailand engagingthailandtips Blog

  2. #2
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pattaya
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,010
    Why do all these Chiang Mai threads, TV Shows keep coming on. It just makes me want to get back there soo much more. That will have to be my point of stay again for Trip 6 to LOS.
    Last edited by G4orce; 6th May 2011 at 08:22.

  3. #3
    Cadet Gold giggsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Yeovil, Somerset, United Kingdom
    Posts
    231
    Sorry about that G4orce. I tend to like it up there myself as well. I will do my best to get around the rest of the country.

  4. #4
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pattaya
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,010
    Don't be sorry talk about whatever you like, it is just like something is telling me to get back there and the more I read the more I wish I was going this trip coming in June 5555

  5. #5
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by giggsy View Post
    Just a few ideas for a visit to Chiang Mai and the
    North of Thailand. These ideas are more for the tourist
    niche.

    Aside from the more tourist trails, where in Chiang Mai and the North
    of Thailand do you like or would you like to visit.


    A few Ideas For A 10 Day Visit To The North Of Thailand engagingthailandtips Blog
    Thanks for this giggsy, I made a lot of notes from that, as I'll be up that way in July. Really looking forward to seing that part of LOS.

  6. #6
    Cadet Gold giggsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Yeovil, Somerset, United Kingdom
    Posts
    231
    Cheers Vanguy and G4orce.
    Vanguy, I have never got up to Vancouver before, but I hear it's a very beautiful part of the world.
    Must go sometime.
    I have only spent time in Ontario and Montreal, but 6 months at that when younger.
    Good times in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

  7. #7
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by giggsy View Post
    Cheers Vanguy and G4orce.
    Vanguy, I have never got up to Vancouver before, but I hear it's a very beautiful part of the world.
    Must go sometime.
    I have only spent time in Ontario and Montreal, but 6 months at that when younger.
    Good times in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
    Most people like Vancouver if they catch it when its not raining. Mild weather, beaches, mountains, good restaurants of almost endless variety as Vancouver has become a real cultural melting pot in the last 30 years in particular. People are generally friendly, and got pretty good nods from the world press during the Olympics. Great hiking closeby, mountain biking trails, Whistler is only an hour away, but if you don't want to go that far, there are three decent ski hills looking over the city on the North Shore. On the downside is the regularly wet weather ... July - early September being the best weather. Its been labelled the "No-fun City" because of an overly reactionary city council that likes to ban such things as New Year's Celebrations. Relatively early closures in the downtown area of bars and clubs compared to cities of a relative size. Expensive unless you were going the hostel route.

    You have to come and check it out tho, sometime giggsy.

  8. #8
    Cadet Gold giggsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Yeovil, Somerset, United Kingdom
    Posts
    231
    Cheers Vanguy great information and you have sold it to me. Thanks.

  9. #9
    Cadet silver Jaffaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Downunder Pub, Chiang Mai
    Age
    62
    Posts
    162
    Chiang mai is on a floodplain between 2 mountain ranges, it's the mountains you have to see.
    On a big motorcycle is the best, the roads are really good and the scenery is jaw dropping.
    G4orce likes this.
    I am no-one in Australia and a VIP in Thailand. I pick the latter.

  10. #10
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pattaya
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffaman View Post
    Chiang mai is on a floodplain between 2 mountain ranges, it's the mountains you have to see.
    On a big motorcycle is the best, the roads are really good and the scenery is jaw dropping.
    Next trip up there you will have to take me on a tour Hope you and everyone are doing well up North

  11. #11
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffaman View Post
    Chiang mai is on a floodplain between 2 mountain ranges, it's the mountains you have to see.
    On a big motorcycle is the best, the roads are really good and the scenery is jaw dropping.
    Hey Jaffaman, I do look forward to touring some of that scenery. However, I drive a bus for a living, and in my life have driven everything from sports cars to buses to large trucks to logging equipment like skidders and loaders. However, in my entire life I have been on a motorcycle "once" ... for whatever reason I've always felt too exposed to the big stuff flying by me. Plus, I've spent so much time in Vancouver traffic, and have seen so many bad drivers, that I want as much protection as possible when I'm on the roads! 555 I've had people drive into the side of my bus, saying they never saw it. People on cell phones and texting as they drive ...

    Anyways, to get to my point. Is Thailand a good place to "learn" to ride a motorcycle? I certainly would not want to be a rookie in Bangkok, as that traffic was some of the worst I've seen anywhere I've travelled. Patong wasn't all that much better, plus I read parking is a problem. How about up north? I don't think I'll be doing any biking on this trip, but maybe its something I should plan on for a future one.

  12. #12
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,320
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Hey Jaffaman, I do look forward to touring some of that scenery. However, I drive a bus for a living, and in my life have driven everything from sports cars to buses to large trucks to logging equipment like skidders and loaders. However, in my entire life I have been on a motorcycle "once" ... for whatever reason I've always felt too exposed to the big stuff flying by me. Plus, I've spent so much time in Vancouver traffic, and have seen so many bad drivers, that I want as much protection as possible when I'm on the roads! 555 I've had people drive into the side of my bus, saying they never saw it. People on cell phones and texting as they drive ...

    Anyways, to get to my point. Is Thailand a good place to "learn" to ride a motorcycle? I certainly would not want to be a rookie in Bangkok, as that traffic was some of the worst I've seen anywhere I've travelled. Patong wasn't all that much better, plus I read parking is a problem. How about up north? I don't think I'll be doing any biking on this trip, but maybe its something I should plan on for a future one.
    Short answer i would not get on one in LOS with limited experience.It is not the place to learn.
    If you were experienced in your home country yes but with limited experience for your own safety better hire a car will cost you less in the long run i think.
    G4orce likes this.
    .

  13. #13
    Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Is Thailand a good place to "learn" to ride a motorcycle?
    Short answer - No.

    The traffic up North is much more sane than BKK or HKT but still not the place to learn.
    I've ridden bikes all over the North, some of it with Jaffaman. I've also travelled a fair bit up there in a Vigo pick-up. The scenery is just as "jaw dropping" on 4 wheels. It's just not as much fun as on a bike.

    Having a roof, windscreen and windscreen wipers is an advantage in the wet season
    Last edited by Norabunga; 10th May 2011 at 17:48.
    G4orce likes this.

  14. #14
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    Ok, I'm fine with that actually. I can imagine how much fun it would be to ride a bike through the north of Thailand ... and elsewhere for that matter ... but its just never been my thing. Too bad I can't export my old '66 MGB to Chiang Mai, I'd have fun with that. =)

  15. #15
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,320
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Ok, I'm fine with that actually. I can imagine how much fun it would be to ride a bike through the north of Thailand ... and elsewhere for that matter ... but its just never been my thing. Too bad I can't export my old '66 MGB to Chiang Mai, I'd have fun with that. =)
    You could you only pay duty on original selling price.
    Would cheap bring it in fully restore it for nicks and drive it and sell it off to someone in LOS or out there is quite a large number doing so.
    .

  16. #16
    Cadet Gold giggsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Yeovil, Somerset, United Kingdom
    Posts
    231
    Jaffaman is absolutely right about the mountain scenery, stunning.
    The whole of the North including Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Pai and of course Chiang Mai simply stunning
    whatever transport you decide to take.

  17. #17
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    4,407
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    I have been on a motorcycle "once" ... for whatever reason I've always felt too exposed to the big stuff flying by me.
    Is Thailand a good place to "learn" to ride a motorcycle?
    I've ridden a motorbike 3 times now and all 3 times broken a bone.....
    I don't see myself ever being a motorcyclist as I'm too much of a thrill seeker.... I could see myself trying to Redline a Ducati in between cars on a busy freeway!!
    I'm quite happy to jump on the back of Thips moped when in Isaan and just take in the sights

  18. #18
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pattaya
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,010
    Quote Originally Posted by giggsy View Post
    Jaffaman is absolutely right about the mountain scenery, stunning.
    The whole of the North including Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son, Pai and of course Chiang Mai simply stunning
    whatever transport you decide to take.
    Mae Hong Son and Pai are deffinatly on my list of places to see as well. Bugga, my list is going to cost me an arm and a leg 555. I personally loved Chiang Rai and would go back there as well but not sure how it would be for an extended stay

  19. #19
    Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    Mae Hong Son and Pai are deffinatly on my list of places to see as well. Bugga, my list is going to cost me an arm and a leg 555. I personally loved Chiang Rai and would go back there as well but not sure how it would be for an extended stay
    Have a full day tour of Chiang Rai/Golden Triangle tour set up, also a half day tour of Doi Suthep and Old City and a full day to Doi Inthanon. Arranged this ahead of time, just cuz my schedule is going to be tight, so worked through Sabai Tours, talking to Sasi personally. Probably pay a bit more this way, but I like the peace of mind of knowing what I am going to be doing on certain days.

    I think the overnight train from BKK to CM is out. I've done more research, and have not been too impressed on what people have had to say. Noisy, lots of jerky stops that wake you up, bad food and messy washrooms. Not exactly worth it. Will likely just fly up now and have an extra day in Chiang Mai.

  20. #20
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pattaya
    Age
    33
    Posts
    3,010
    Ditching the train Idea could be good overall, Bad reviews Nui not wanting to go on the Train and an extra day in CM so sounds like a good idea to just fly up i would have to say, Are you just seeing the golden Triangle in CR or throwing a few more things? I would recommend Wat Rong Khun, Mae Sai (but could be missed) and maybe give Doi Tung a miss if you don't have the time. Golden Triangle is good, if you have time go on a long tail boat on the Meekong River and stop over at the Lao Market for half hour or so for something different. I would recommend it, No Passport required

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •