• 6 Post By Rivo
  • 1 Post By Rivo
  • 2 Post By retdent
  • 3 Post By Rivo
  • 1 Post By Ian Forbes

Thread: Chiang Rai new bypass road

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

Chiang Rai new bypass road

For those interested the new Chiang Rai bypass road to the west of the city is nearly completed, parts of the network are already open.................Im told it is 21km in length and is a 4 x lane highway, I think there will only be 2 x sets of traffic lights, the rest are bridges or overpasses, the bridge over the Kok river is huge and has slip lanes on either side so you can relax at the river, under the bridge.

Heading north towards Chiang Rai you would turn left just past the White Temple to access the new bypass, im told it will be named Highway R131 ?...............and it goes left of the city past Wat Huay Pla Kang and then onwards back onto Highway #1 north of the city, at the intersection for the Airport road.

For those heading to Mae Sai or Chiang Saen this bypass will save alot of time, I was out on the highway a few days ago............................it looks like the complete bypass is finished and just doing some minor work on the edges........should be open soon................a few pics..............

A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    That is great news. That section was always a bottleneck of traffic lights, with vehicles going in all directions around people that want to park.

Now, if they could just hurry up and complete at least a portion of hwy 118 through the mountains. What a pain in the ass that section is. They've been working on it for at least 3 years and it's only gotten worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Now, if they could just hurry up and complete at least a portion of hwy 118 through the mountains. What a pain in the ass that section is. They've been working on it for at least 3 years and it's only gotten worse.

Ill probably go down the 118 this weekend, we have to attend a party in Chiang Mai, a few of the boys rode their motorbikes back that way a few weeks ago and were complaining about the length of the roadworks and the water trucks flooding the road. Ill report back.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Ill probably go down the 118 this weekend, Ill report back.

I haven't got good news Ian 555................................I think it will be years before the 118 is completed..................The roadworks are from Doi Saket to the Thaweesin Hot Springs, with a few stretches of bitumen inbetween to make you think the roadworks are finished 555..........................On sunday afternoon I was stopped by the lolipop girl, I thought it was to let an Excavator cross the road, nope, they decided to dig a trench and lay a pipe across the complete road, this took 45min and the traffic was at a standstill in both directions..........................heading south there was a 4km stretch of parked cars and buses and trucks, alot of fustrated drivers

Sad but so typical. It wouldn't be so bad if there was an alternate route, but there isn't unless you are willing to drive-ride 100 km out of your way by traveling down to Lampang and going north on the A2 highway. Or, take the busy road #107 towards Fang and then cross over on that twisty mountain road #109 to Mae Suai. I have to do it twice on my 5 month stay to check in at the border.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Sad but so typical. It wouldn't be so bad if there was an alternate route, but there isn't unless you are willing to drive-ride 100 km out of your way by traveling down to Lampang and going north on the A2 highway. .
    Living in Lamphun that is my first choice, ie via Lampang. It takes an extra hour but the scenery is pretty good, decent local eating places along the way and virtually no traffic in comparison to the 118. Good relaxing driving without the crazy drivers on the main route. Better to take an extra hour and arrive stress free and in one piece.
    Minder and Ian Forbes like this.

Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    Living in Lamphun that is my first choice, ie via Lampang. It takes an extra hour but the scenery is pretty good, decent local eating places along the way and virtually no traffic in comparison to the 118. Good relaxing driving without the crazy drivers on the main route. Better to take an extra hour and arrive stress free and in one piece.
    Last season I left really early in the morning... like about 5 AM, and by the time I got to the construction zone I was able to ride my motorbike around much of the traffic. But, it was a close "fit" beside buses and trucks. The only thing is it was bloody cold in the mornings and I should have put on more clothes.

Looks like the new bypass is now open, I rode along it a few days ago.....................

Ian Forbes, OZZYGUY and Buksida like this.

Gee, if I live long enough I might even get to ride that section. But I will miss the 200+ stop lights in town. 5555
    OZZYGUY likes this.