Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How To Live Like a VIP in Bangkok for $285.06 Per Month

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar

How To Live Like a VIP in Bangkok for $285.06 Per Month

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    I would find it hard to do on this sort of budget. I know many do it but. I would have to have ac and hot water. Would go crazy in a studio apartment. I need my own space to escape the herds.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Interesting

For me a little to hard to conform to this level.

But you could live a more social life for about 20000-30000 per month.

My rent was 4500bt p/m in Soi 22 middle of BKK
    No hot water but you dont need it but ran the air con furiously 800bt p/m
    Food including Farang 9000bt p/m
    Internet and personal hygene and sundries 3000bt p/m
    Trans had motor bike but include taxi exc 900bt p/m
    The part that cost the money is going out and drinking bear but if you said 200bt per day because you dont drink every day it would be some where there.

That is a snap shot of what i have done. Not from trying just doing what we felt like.

We did have a bed sit but really did not eat made breaky there and ate out the reat of the time.

Space....Linpini or the one next to the Emporium or out the burbs for some fishing.

Found BKK a much less expensive place to live compared to Patts but is both are more than living up country.

Never forget that this does not count visa costs or visa runs or flights etc.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    ....Never forget that this does not count visa costs or visa runs or flights etc.
    Exactly - throw in another 100 bucks a month or so.

but otherwise the budget looked real enough but had no extras in it ..... and Mrs M and I agree he is stretching the true a little on the food costs .... 10-20% under the real costs ... probably more since the flooding.

Young and healthy you could do it - no air con, no medical costs.

Not my cup of tea these days.
    Life is the unexpected ...

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Exactly - throw in another 100 bucks a month or so.

but otherwise the budget looked real enough but had no extras in it ..... and Mrs M and I agree he is stretching the true a little on the food costs .... 10-20% under the real costs ... probably more since the flooding.

Young and healthy you could do it - no air con, no medical costs.

Not my cup of tea these days.
    If you are young and single or even not so young and out there bar fining and in that scene quite expensive..
    But if you live not so different than you do at home easy.

45000bt a month and you have a good buffer

^^^Anyone who lives in Thailand full-time... do you find you need aircon? I found after a few weeks in Bangkok I only needed a fan... which saved money. Plus its better for your health...

Plus I like to walk everywhere which saved on transport costs. But Wabbit's figures are more realistic than most.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    ^^^Anyone who lives in Thailand full-time... do you find you need aircon? I found after a few weeks in Bangkok I only needed a fan... which saved money. Plus its better for your health...

Plus I like to walk everywhere which saved on transport costs. But Wabbit's figures are more realistic than most.
    Did in Patts and BKK in BKK we basically shut up the unit cooled it down and tuned it off when went to sleep then just us fan.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Did in Patts and BKK in BKK we basically shut up the unit cooled it down and tuned it off when went to sleep then just us fan.
    I found after my body adjusted that I only turned the aircon on for 5 or 10 mins after I got back from a walk sometimes on a hot day... and was a little warm... then once cooled down, on with the fan... it's funny how you get used to it... so that when I was in Isaan... no aircon available and didn't really miss it.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    sorry but living in a 4K a month bedsit in BKK is not my idea of a VIP lifestyle

i live similarly to how I lived in OZ here on Phuket....nice 3 bed apartment near the water, eat and drink what I want, nice car and scooter, go out to dinners, movies, clubs, bars etc etc when i feel like it..averages out just under 100k a month

and no I don't use aircon in the apartment just large overhead fans

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    sorry but living in a 4K a month bedsit in BKK is not my idea of a VIP lifestyle

i live similarly to how I lived in OZ here on Phuket....nice 3 bed apartment near the water, eat and drink what I want, nice car and scooter, go out to dinners, movies, clubs, bars etc etc when i feel like it..averages out just under 100k a month

Interesting bacwaan, I think I would be like you and need the extra's if I am living over there, does that 100K including renting the Car/Bike or are they purchased outright and no mention of Visa runs ? Just a general answer will do, I need to know how many more years I need to keep working 555
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Interesting bacwaan, I think I would be like you and need the extra's if I am living over there, does that 100K including renting the Car/Bike or are they purchased outright and no mention of Visa runs ? Just a general answer will do, I need to know how many more years I need to keep working 555
    I am interested in this also Pak Wan. Is it owning a car / condo / MB as in AU or renting leasing.
    Would love realistic costs to a lifestyle of many choices. I could not see myself in Patts or PI but realistic costs of where you are with travel and holidays would be appreciated.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

OK...

I have added in 30K for the rent on my condo for budget purposes (purchase price would be an estimated 5m)....that is what would I get for it on a long term lease (one year)

Car and bike purchased outright....but I have added in all running costs...you can get a LT hire on a small car from around 12K a month and bike at about 3K if you want to budget that way but my purchase prices are not included

food for me probably runs close to 15K a month...but I eat at all sorts of restaurants from street carts to 1K+ a plate places but mostly the 80-100 baht Thai and 250-300k western joints.....and i cook a lot of meals for myself....I shop at Tesco/villa mart/Big C for most farang stuff and I do like a fair mix of that but i will also shop at local markets and mom and pop stores

biggest item for me is entertainment....I like to party and don't have a live in TGF....I spend about 5-7K most nights I walk out the door and that includes 'company"

i don't have to do visa runs as i have an "O" retirement visa (over 50...you must bring in 800K for this and "season it for 3 months") but my budget also includes some local travel around SEA.....but not euro or Aus trips....just Cambo/PI/Malaysia etc

for me this is a similar way I would be living if I were back in Aus....i didn't come here to save money I came for the lifestyle..of course I could cut it back and go out less, eat more Thai/cheaper, travel less and sit at home and watch TV...but I don't want to and I don't have to

happy to answer any questions on budgets etc....but just remember we are all different and our budget will change according to choices and the amount of spending power we all have

One main word of advice i have for all wanting to live here...get yourself as nice a place as you can afford...it will save you money in the long run...hard to sit in a shoe box day in day out
    david j crow likes this.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    That is awesome stuff, bacwaan, and will really make me sit down and work out how much I could afford over an extended period. You basically are living the lifestyle that I am looking at, tho maybe for me it would not be in Bangkok, tho I would like the freedom to move around, likely on 6 month leases.

Some really great suggestions, and I especially agree with the last one. I could not see myself spending anytime at home, if "home" were a shoebox apartment with nothing to keep me there. A lovely condo, then yes, especially if there was a special girlfriend to share it with.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

4k is not vip at all but it had everything we needed internet highspeed good TV and a shop til 3 pm down stairs 5 steps for food and a bar.

We lived in Hyde park in Patts for 4 months really nice marbal this and granite that but the place was full of ******s.
    We moved to Suderat house just up the hill 6k and a blast loads of decent expts and bar on premisis.

4k was not my chioce but Mrs W's we never wanted for anything.
    Truth is we live in a 3 bedder now but really inhabit about one third of it.

A car in LOS not if you live in BKK that would be a pointless thing.
    Car i understand it on Phuket as public trans sucks.
    In BKK taxi's are so cheap even if you want to use them to go up country.

i probably wouldn't have a car or bike in BKK. Car is too hard to get around in and its impossible to find appropriate parking + a scooter is too dangerous. agree with Wabbits a combination of taxis and the BTS is the go in BKK

i have thought of selling my car here (phuket) as i hardly ever use it. i much prefer my scooter. but a car is handy in the rainy season if you have commitments

I couldn't see myself living in BK or patts...I like the beach too much...rental here is probably the highest in the country. It is possible to get decent one bed apartments here in the nicer places (by that I mean outside Patong...couldn't live there either) starting at around 10-15K per month on a long lease (12 months)

i probably wouldn't have a car or bike in BKK. Car is too hard to get around in and its impossible to find appropriate parking + a scooter is too dangerous. agree with Wabbits a combination of taxis and the BTS is the go in BKK

i have thought of selling my car here (phuket) as i hardly ever use it. i much prefer my scooter. but a car is handy in the rainy season if you have commitments

I couldn't see myself living in BK or patts...I like the beach too much...rental here is probably the highest in the country. It is possible to get decent one bed apartments here in the nicer places (by that I mean outside Patong...couldn't live there either) starting at around 10-15K per month on a long lease (12 months)
    Next long stay in BKK will be a 1 bedder with easy access food close by so that is just about anywhere.55555
    10k gets you good diggs soi 22 or 26 in that area anyway.

I loved having a motorbike in BKK was a very handy, i loved the double takes of other motorbike riders.55555
    Had less drama riding there than Patts and found Phuket very easy.
    Though out the back of Patts on the Suk beware the steel grates in the bike lane....

Prinz Garden Villa - Serviced Apartment | Hua Hin Thaiapartments

I found this ad while I was doing some researching on Hua Hin. This I could live in for 6 months at a stretch and feel like a king in his castle. They quote a monthly rate here, but talking to my friend Rick, who lives in the area, if you take a 6 month lease the monthly rate drops by about 3k baht/month to around 8k/month, which works out to only around $250 CAN.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

http://huahin.thaiapartments.net/ind...partmenttype=2

This one is a mystery, with a much lower daily rate of only 500 baht, but it does not have a monthly rate shown. It should be substantially less then the other property, as the daily rate there was 1.4k. Has all the mod-cons, but is a bit out of town and not right on the beach like the previous one.

I just post this as being more or less what I would consider the minimum of what I would be looking for if (or when) I was to come to LOS for an extended stay, and is one of the reasons I'm checking out so many different areas on every trip.
    Changone likes this.
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

^^^Stop making retirement look so dam appealing VG... 555

1_small.jpgThis looks like our bed sit we had in BKK for 4 od k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast