Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Where do expats live?

Where do expats live?

Help me settle a bar bet with my first post on the forum. Does anyone know what the breakdown is of where expats live in Thailand? Obviously they live all over Thailand, but where are they mostly?

My guess (with nothing to back this up):
    Bangkok 35%
    Chiang Mai 20%
    Pattaya 20%
    Phuket 10%
    Other 15%

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I have heard that 80% live in Udon Thani.... I'll try find some data to back it up...
    As there was an airforce base there a lot of expats found a good Isaan girl and became a local!

Welcome to the board by the way
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    My guess would be the same as Pinots.
    I mean Udon isnt large , and claims it has the most expats would mean they were wandering around all over the place.
    I didnt see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I mean Udon isnt large , and claims it has the most expats would mean they were wandering around all over the place.
    I didnt see that.
    I was also surprised thinking they would be more focused around the resorts.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Not sure about percentages but just about every town i stop in seems to have a farang in the local 7 11...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    WTTB Pinot,
    My guess and that's all it is, by shere population numbers and business, BKK
    Then I am thinking Patts would out number Patong/Phuket for 2nd.
    I haven't seen CM so no idea.
    I know there are some in Korat, there was a forum for them, I think it's finished now, I have a friend from it.
    I didn't see any of them when I was there, and judgeing by the looks I got they aren't too common.
    Same in Phetchabun, I had a drink and lunch with 4 expats and it seems they thought there were maybe 15-20 they saw in the place but there were likely many more scattered outside the town.

I guess the only ones that know for sure is the Thai imigration, as they track the 3 month reporting.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I didnt see that.
    Same here mate i read somewhere that udon is full of Falangs, but only saw 2 when I was there???

hey WTTB Pinot!
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

One of the guys was trying to tell me Udon was #1. My girl is from there. Walking around the malls and nightlife, not many farangs. My girl's ban, 5 clicks out...none.

WTTB Pinot .... and a big hug for Puy. I still have the odd giggle about her Friday night curfew reminders, she has a great SOH and lovely smile!

Not sure about your %'s but I can tell you there's a HUGE number of Expats in CM. I recall reading in the Phuket Gazette or Wan, about actual numbers registered as living in HKT and it was staggering. Interesting Stickman article here > The Farang Population Explosion Continues
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Agree re Udon. There's a significant number of farangs living in Isaan, many Germans, but not too many other nationalities that I ever came across in large numbers. I base this on visa runs into Laos at 2 points + visits to Ubon Ratchathani, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Nong Khai.

Whilst living in Yasothon I was surprised to have a fluent English speaking postie for a while. Thai Post rotates their staff monthly so he knew the regional demographics pretty well. Chai was surpised to have a Kiwi on his run as most expats were German with the odd Brit or Aussie here and there.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Cadet silver
    Although my wife would disagree, she seems to think there are many, but on my trips to Isaan I have rarely seen any farang. That includes Udon, Khon Kaen and Maha Sarakham. Of the three I think I can only ever recall seeing farang in Khon Kaen, but to be fair we've always been on the 'burbs' of those area's so maybe diffeerent in the center

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    WTTB Pinot .... and a big hug for Puy. I still have the odd giggle about her Friday night curfew reminders, she has a great SOH and lovely smile!

Not sure about your %'s but I can tell you there's a HUGE number of Expats in CM. I recall reading in the Phuket Gazette or Wan, about actual numbers registered as living in HKT and it was staggering. Interesting Stickman article here > The Farang Population Explosion Continues
    Just read it ... not one genuine statistic stated to back his claims...2010 well.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    I would agree with Rob on CM being near the top of the list, like was mentioned above immigration must have the numbers.

WTTB aswell Pinot
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Not sure about percentages but just about every town i stop in seems to have a farang in the local 7 11...

Words out Wabbits, they are all looking for wives 555
    wabbits, jontymate and NamTanMot like this.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

I read this and thought it was worth sharing....

Bang goes the neighbourhood, a white guy has moved in next door
    They will be taking over soon, have you seen what they eat?
    Pizza, beans in a tin, bloody savages!!!
    They don't wash like us you know, they only shower once in the morning.
    Where do they get all their money from?
    Now they want to built a Christian church, right on our doorstep, what a liberty. Fecking cheek.
    Udon ain't what it used to be. The whites should stay in Pattaya where they belong.
    Heaven forbid, my daughter might bring a white guy home for dinner, she might want to marry him.
    Spot likes this.

18,725 farang in Issan udon provence, last count January 2007, from the register at the police department

Based on the 2000 consesus, the total population of Udon Thani was 1,670,000. It is probably more now. However, using that base and the number of farangs provided to AussieBoy, the percentage of farang is about 1.1%.

Thailand also states that roughly 30,000 foreigners reside in Udon. Assuming that figure includes all foreigners (farang, Laotian, Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc.), the total non-Thai population percentage is 1.8%.

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    18,725 farang in Issan udon provence, last count January 2007, from the register at the police department

Based on the 2000 consesus, the total population of Udon Thani was 1,670,000. It is probably more now. However, using that base and the number of farangs provided to AussieBoy, the percentage of farang is about 1.1%.

Thailand also states that roughly 30,000 foreigners reside in Udon. Assuming that figure includes all foreigners (farang, Laotian, Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc.), the total non-Thai population percentage is 1.8%.
    Difficult to disseminate figures unless broken down by ethnicity, employment status etc. The 2 biggest ALIEN groups likely to be Burmese and Chinese.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    That would be you... 555

I agree though. I saw farangs all over the place in Isaan. But I'd still go with Pinot's initial guestimates... Bangkok must surely have the most by quite some distance with such a large population... and all the farangs who work in business there,
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Imagine, Farangs visiting 7/11's all over Thailand and none of them looking for wives....5555
    WTTB Pinot, good to have another fellow "Food and wine" appreciator here....
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Thailover
    Hi guys. New to the board...

Dont know how long time you guys stayed in Udon, KK or Korat, but how you can miss all the farangs there, is a mystery.
    Cant get anywhere around those places, without meeting other farangs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast