Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Minder

Thread: Cost of living comparisons

Cost of living comparisons

Good calculator for comparing most major cities here:Cost of Living
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    That is very interesting Rob.
    Now just to work out where to hide for the rest of my life...555555
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Will never complain about 60bt beer ever again...Here that would not get you the coaster.5555
    Guest house in Busselton 1 night 149.00 on special.....500 bt max for same same in Patong...With better weather!

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    The survey highlights the shift in economic power towards China and the countries that supply it with raw materials. Shanghai was named the 16th most expensive city, moving ahead of London, New York and Paris.

Australian cities have leapt fastest up the rankings after a currency surge. Sydney climbed from 14th to 11th, Melbourne from 21st to 15th, Perth from 30th to 19th and Brisbane from 31st to 24th.

Last week the Australian airline Qantas issued a surprise profits warning brought on in part by hard-up Europeans cancelling holidays to what has become one of the most expensive destinations in the world. On every indicator counted by Mercer except for the price of petrol, Sydney was more expensive than London

Tokyo named world's most expensive city | Money | guardian.co.uk

Welcome to sunny Perth where a pint of beer will now set you back $15 ( 9 quid in UK speak) ... and where the cheapest way to spend a night in a five star hotel involves flying to Bali or Phuket ....

Enjoy ...
    Life is the unexpected ...

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    The survey highlights the shift in economic power towards China and the countries that supply it with raw materials. Shanghai was named the 16th most expensive city, moving ahead of London, New York and Paris.

Australian cities have leapt fastest up the rankings after a currency surge. Sydney climbed from 14th to 11th, Melbourne from 21st to 15th, Perth from 30th to 19th and Brisbane from 31st to 24th.

Last week the Australian airline Qantas issued a surprise profits warning brought on in part by hard-up Europeans cancelling holidays to what has become one of the most expensive destinations in the world. On every indicator counted by Mercer except for the price of petrol, Sydney was more expensive than London

Welcome to sunny Perth where a pint of beer will now set you back $15 ( 9 quid in UK speak) ... and where the cheapest way to spend a night in a five star hotel involves flying to Bali or Phuket ....

Enjoy ...
    Pity they don't have most expensive towns on the list. Mackay would surely be near the top. $250.00 per night for a 1 star road side motel, no tourism here as nobody has anywhere to stay and most tourist operators have pulled up stakes and gone.
    We have a big mining expo here every year and they are complaining that the might have to have it elsewhere as no accomadation for visitors and last time and this time people are being billited out in private residences. The expo people are complaining now that all the people who supplied billits last time are charging twice what they were charging last year.
    Sorry expo people supply and demand, that is what we are told when we complain about the high cost in Mackay. Khama eh.....

Quote Originally Posted by Cilla View Post
    Pity they don't have most expensive towns on the list. Mackay would surely be near the top. $250.00 per night for a 1 star road side motel, no tourism here as nobody has anywhere to stay and most tourist operators have pulled up stakes and gone.
    We have a big mining expo here every year and they are complaining that the might have to have it elsewhere as no accomadation for visitors and last time and this time people are being billited out in private residences. The expo people are complaining now that all the people who supplied billits last time are charging twice what they were charging last year.
    Sorry expo people supply and demand, that is what we are told when we complain about the high cost in Mackay. Khama eh.....
    Pop up the road (150 km's) and you can get a one bed serviced apartment overlooking Pioneer Bay for $160 a night! Not exactly relevant though it shows how dear Mackay is compared with one of Australia's premier tourist destinations ... well, it was, once!

I wonder how the Keppel/Whitsunday/Townsville/Cairns resorts are faring? In Thailand, hotel owners can simply shut-down and put staff off ... not so easy in Oz.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Ahhh the days of 187.50 per month inc water and power.
    Where a nice maid would come and clean room twice a week, 100 channels of TV plus free WIfi.

30c and 5 mins later for transport i am in the heart of a premier tourist spot...Walking street.

My motorbike cost 2.00 in fuel a week to run....Happy days.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Pop up the road (150 km's) and you can get a one bed serviced apartment overlooking Pioneer Bay for $160 a night! Not exactly relevant though it shows how dear Mackay is compared with one of Australia's premier tourist destinations ... well, it was, once!

I wonder how the Keppel/Whitsunday/Townsville/Cairns resorts are faring? In Thailand, hotel owners can simply shut-down and put staff off ... not so easy in Oz.
    Suprisingly Rob most of them are doing ok, not breaking any records but doing better than average.
    I was in Cairns 2 weeks ago and talking about it with the company owner, he said they regularly see no vacancy signs and friends of his that have a unit/motel management rights are running at 65-70% across the year.

Here in Townsville we have a lot of functions, V8's, this weekend its the super boat's, ocean racers it is televised around the world, and people come to watch from lots of places, they were practising on my days off so no sleep in for me. We also get a lot of convention's all year round. Don't know the occupancy figs but would think around 70-80% as a lot of the accomodation has been taken full time by the Army and some mining guys.

Down at Airlie an old girlfriend of mine has a backpackers and they are seasonal, when the work picking fruit is on they are booked out, thats full on for 3-4 months, then they slip back to about 50% consistantly.

As mentioned about people from Europe not coming because they can't afford it, I don't think they were that big a slice of the tourist here. Over the last 6 weeks, I have given lifts to hitch hikers/backpackers 5 groups in total. We talked about where they had been etc and the exchange rates, they all said they were watching what they spend, but also said they were paid more for the work they did, than they expected, had calculated on, so overall were happy, and would love to come back for longer.

3 of the 5 were going on to other countries before returning to their home.
    They were from Germany, England and Canada.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Spot's Avatar

Enjoy ...
    Eeeerrrmmm! unfortunately reflects my comments to Sydney, When did Perth start getting unreal? Last there 2008 first there 1989.... It was very cheap back in 89 and normal in 2008...?
    Ohhhh, Pigsy! You call yourself a demon? จูบก้นของฉัน Everything I post here is IMHO and IME... I am no expert....

Backpackers are often fairly well healed, or at least Daddy is, and keep the budget hotel/restaurants and many cruise operators going but it's the adult US/Asian/Euro tourists who would normally stay at say, Peppers on Maggie or Hayman/Hammo that are in short supply now.

Thailand's experiencing the same thing, especially Phuket - oversupply of facilities and not enough big spenders. CM luxury hotels you could a cannon and not hit anyone... plenty of backpackers around though.
    Cheers, Rob.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spot View Post
    Eeeerrrmmm! unfortunately reflects my comments to Sydney, When did Perth start getting unreal? Last there 2008 first there 1989.... It was very cheap back in 89 and normal in 2008...?
    I tell people if you have not seen Perth in the last 5 years then you have not seen Perth ... I'd reckon the normal you saw in 2008 was the last of it ....

Everything here now gets priced as if everyone is on 200k plus per annum working for the Mines ....

Son in law is a hot-shot in IT, his company tried to get him to Perth on business at short notice in February .... Mining conference was on ... cheapest room he could find for that night was $700 !!!!
    (He put off the trip for a few days ...)

Enjoy...
    Changone likes this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I tell people if you have not seen Perth in the last 5 years then you have not seen Perth ... I'd reckon the normal you saw in 2008 was the last of it ....

Everything here now gets priced as if everyone is on 200k plus per annum working for the Mines ....

Son in law is a hot-shot in IT, his company tried to get him to Perth on business at short notice in February .... Mining conference was on ... cheapest room he could find for that night was $700 !!!!
    (He put off the trip for a few days ...)

Enjoy...
    I have to agree 100% Mr M.
    I have been telling this to anyone who would listen for YEARS now.
    Would even go so far as to say 2003-2008 goes ditto.
    All that's happened since then is that we've piled a mining bbom on top of it all.
    Perth as a place to live is now virtually Unrecognizable.
    Not to mention that its bloody FULL.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    I've noticed going over the list that some of the results are rather misleading, the main reason being it is based on participant submissions. I just made some submissions for Vancouver, without having to give any personal details, and could have written down anything I like. If you list out cities based on the Cost of Living index, Nelson, BC comes in as the 12th highest in the world, which is complete bs. Then I went over their stats, which were drawn from just 10 participants, and found they listed the a meal at an "inexpensive" restaurant at a whopping $24.62 CAN, and a 3-course meal for 2 at a mid-priced restaurant at $114.00!! Both those figures are way off the mark, more then double the actual cost in both instances. I've eaten in Nelson recently, and a decent meal at an inexpensive restaurant can be had for $12-15 easy, with a meal for two at a mid-priced restaurant coming it at no more then $40-50. Average mid-range bottle of wine was listed at $34.80, yet Nelson has the same BC Government Liquor stores with the exact same prices we have in Vancouver, where I regularly buy a "mid-priced bottle of wine for $16-20. Still, its an interesting comparison site, just not tremendously scientific.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]