The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Cost of living

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    My little rant was a bit off topic of cost of living... BUT THERE IS A CONNECTION. Those that grow up in a society of higher or lower end economy learn to expect different results. I've seen many happy Thais who are living with barely enough to feed and clothe themselves. Conversely, I know many western families where people expect to have a big house, 3 vehicles in the garage, and a paid month long holiday to a fancy resort anywhere they choose.
    Yet once a TG comes into money(marries a foreigner) they want to build a house bigger than anyone else's in the village to the point of looks out of place, sometimes

So if they get the money......most act as anywhere in the world

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Yet once a TG comes into money(marries a foreigner) they want to build a house bigger than anyone else's in the village to the point of looks out of place, sometimes

So if they get the money......most act as anywhere in the world
    I think that is normal for anyone who suddenly come into a lot of money they did not have before. There have been hundreds of stories of people whose lives were ruined by winning big lotteries.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Observation..

The price of diesel for the pickup was just about always around 90 cents/L relative to the AUD X rate while I lived there.

Around $1.25/L at the moment.

Could only be that the baht is so much stronger?

Seems a similar situation with the CAD,NZD and many others too.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Has to be the X rate.
    Diesel was up around 34 or 35 baht a year or so back.... then it fell all over the world.
    Now 29.8 to 31 baht a litre on Phuket.

I saw a bright young Asian woman , an International Economist , on TV the other night.
    She was adamant that what we are seeing is 'the future'.
    She said that Westerners and The West had dominated the global economy for 'ever' , and now that was changing and those in the know were set to continue to see the rise of Asia , and that Westerners didnt like. Westerners were in 'denial' , or even belligerent about seeing others enjoy the wealth that was once theirs alone.
    But that Westerners would have to adjust , because the supremacy of Asian economies was inevitable...

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Trouble is that at some point... "Cheap labour" will no longer be Asia... but will be back in the west... and it's already happening with a lot of manufacturing leaving "expensive" China and returning to the UK/ Europe...
    obes and OZZYGUY like this.
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Always been astonishment at how strong the THB is/can be.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Some day Cambodia might get its act together and Thailand will lose its source of cheap labour. Vietnam is doing quite nicely and I have a few Canadian friends who have moved there from Thailand.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Trouble is that at some point... "Cheap labour" will no longer be Asia... but will be back in the west... and it's already happening with a lot of manufacturing leaving "expensive" China and setting up factorys in Vietnam and Indo...

Fixed it DP.

The lady I deal with in China said a lot of the companys now have factorys in Vietnam and Indo as the labour is still a lot cheaper. Im supprised they havent moved to the Phils yet. You can get Labour in the Phils around $68AUD per month.

I wonder what Bacons company pay staff.
    Last edited by OZZYGUY; 16th April 2018 at 19:49.
    Zablive likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Trouble is that at some point... "Cheap labour" will no longer be Asia... but will be back in the west... and it's already happening with a lot of manufacturing leaving "expensive" China and returning to the UK/ Europe...
    Not as long as the West pays for 40/hrs or less per week + public holiday loadings, sick leave, superannuation, annual holidays, long service leave etc.
    Maybe by the time you meet your AI girlfriend 555!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Some day Cambodia might get its act together and Thailand will lose its source of cheap labour. Vietnam is doing quite nicely and I have a few Canadian friends who have moved there from Thailand.
    They're all Burmese here. Plenty to go around.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Not as long as the West pays for 40/hrs or less per week + public holiday loadings, sick leave, superannuation, annual holidays, long service leave etc.
    They wont be heading to Europe any time soon.
    Lots of poor countries to exploit yet !
    Europes/The Wests advantage has always been in machines/ technologies to make volume cheaply . But now with 'technology sharing' obligations with China , that advantage will slowly disappear ...

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Already happening with a lot of companies bringing manufacturing back to the UK... a few weeks ago was listening to a forum on the radio about companies that had already moved back... some after decades in China.. and that more and more will be doing so. The tide is turning.

Now where's my girlfriend gone.... 55
    Last edited by Distantpeak; 17th April 2018 at 01:36.
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

Already happening with a lot of companies bringing manufacturing back to the UK... a few weeks ago was listening to a forum on the radio about companies that had already moved back... some after decades in China.. and that more and more will be doing so. The tide is turning.

The UK and Europe have all those new Muslims to do the dirty jobs at low pay. 5555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    The UK and Europe have all those new Muslims to do the dirty jobs at low pay. 5555
    So where did the Irish and Poles go 555
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    So where did the Irish and Poles go 555
    They get to act "uppity" like they are now superior. 5555

China no longer offers incentives like tax breaks, low factory lease rates etc to help 'western competitors' make profits at the expense of home-grown competition.

Large pruderss are still moving to Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia (and south America). Bosch has recently expanded here at it's a major market and hub for ASEAN distribution. Western Digital is well entrenched here yet Seagate departed China for US production... go figure. Many small car manufacturers are moving production to Indo, bigger market, lower labour rates and saves on shipping etc.

The World is constantly evolving and no doubt some enterprises will do better by returning 'home', like M&S who just couldn't compete with Cn retailers. Their stores here in Th are a joke compared with say Uni-glo and may soon disappear.

It's not just a case of labour rates changing, it's far more complex but to say the tide is turning gives a false impression.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

I have a good Parisian friend and 15 years ago I asked him if he was happy with the mass migration of Moroccans and Algerians etc into his city.
    He said that France had an obligation to some , particularly Algerians , and most were ok , but agreed the Marocs that came ( only young single men ) were a problem now for ALL ( even Algerian families ) in his old area of North Paris.

"But," he shrugged , "we need them all nowadays to pay the taxes to cover the growing pensioners costs.."

I said to him , "So you guys really believe they will pay their taxes ?"
    Tingtong likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I have a good Parisian friend and 15 years ago I asked him if he was happy with the mass migration of Moroccans and Algerians etc into his city.
    He said that France had an obligation to some , particularly Algerians , and most were ok , but agreed the Marocs that came ( only young single men ) were a problem now for ALL ( even Algerian families ) in his old area of North Paris.

"But," he shrugged , "we need them all nowadays to pay the taxes to cover the growing pensioners costs.."

I said to him , "So you guys really believe they will pay their taxes ?"
    I honestly don't understand Canada's Immigration system
    % wise we have to have one of the highest rates of immigrants
    And it is a merit based system but we have so many immigrants but don't seem to get any of the riff raff
    Iranians with big money
    Muslims that seem pretty upper middle class
    Asians of course

It's really remarkable......they figured out something most counties haven't

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    It's really remarkable......they figured out something most counties haven't

Quote Originally Posted by obes View Post
    Good commentary

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast