The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Cost of living

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Agreed.
    Im not trying to be 'down' on Immigrants - we are all immigrants in one way or another.

But I dont believe that things can be improved by denying the existence of problems.
    And immigrants who beg to get into another country , then spend the rest of their lives trying to recreate the cesspit they left, in the new country , those who would band together because of shared race or religion to commit any acts of violence or subterfuge
    on the new country - well they need to be sorted out and removed.
    We are on the same page

Although I do tend to think we make much more out of assimilation than what was expected of our kin when they came to our countries

My wife was assimilated partly, only because she was married to me and exposed
    But a huge part of her life in Canada was still Thai yet we don't seem to have any issues with that
    And her friends her w/o Canadian partners aren't anymore assimilated than Muslims
    I'd actually say they are less so because Muslims are more likely to be coming as a young family and the kids being in school forces a bit more assimilation
    Opposed to a lot of Thais coming here later in life as single

Ideally we'd like people to assimilate but how welcoming are we to bring them into our lives also?

And unfortunately, with techonolgy, people will be more tied to their homelands than prior so there will be less and less assimilation
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 18th April 2018 at 17:30.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Assimilation , The thing I notice is that its always US who have to make the move by welcoming into our lives . Well it takes 2.... Muslims Hate our Guts and arent afraid to say it ,so how are we supposed to get friendly with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Assimilation , The thing I notice is that its always US who have to make the move by welcoming into our lives . Well it takes 2.... Muslims Hate our Guts and arent afraid to say it ,so how are we supposed to get friendly with them.
    I just asked the two Muslims sitting next to me. They don't hate my guts.... so I kicked them a little harder...

99.9% are fine. Why don't you try engaging with them... instead of focusing on the small percentage of morons?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I just asked the two Muslims sitting next to me. They don't hate my guts.... so I kicked them a little harder...

99.9% are fine. Why don't you try engaging with them... instead of focusing on the small percentage of morons?
    You didnt read what I wrote . Why should WE make the first move ? they are in OUR country and should make an effort . I have Never had a Muslim try to be nice to me or talk to me but I have done so with them.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

Ideally we'd like people to assimilate but how welcoming are we to bring them into our lives also?
    And that's where I said I think Canada seems more welcoming than European countries who are more parochial. People will integrate with others if they feel encouraged to do so... one thing Brexit showed... it's the older generation who are most scared of immigrants. So I am relying on the younger generation to make the UK more like Canada in this regard...

I know it's anecdotal, but I have mentioned the local high school here which is about 50/50 white and non-white... maybe even more non-white actually... and the kids are completely at ease with each other... at bus stops, walking to and from school... every group is a mixture of ethnicities... good to see no obvious segregation in the attitudes of local teenagers...

You didnt read what I wrote . Why should WE make the first move ? they are in OUR country and should make an effort . I have Never had a Muslim try to be nice to me or talk to me but I have done so with them.
    Well good to see you are welcoming. But why should anyone make the first move? Why can't both? When I am in Thailand, it's that welcoming smile that makes you feel comfortable in a place... rather than if everyone is scowling?

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Well good to see you are welcoming. But why should anyone make the first move? Why can't both? When I am in Thailand, it's that welcoming smile that makes you feel comfortable in a place... rather than if everyone is scowling?
    dont reply to me if you dont even read my post . re read it dp . read the last 5 words . bloody hell .

dont reply to me if you dont even read my post . re read it dp . read the last 5 words . bloody hell .
    You better re-read mine then as I said "Well good to see you are welcoming. "

PeteGill likes this.

As I suspected ......

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    They've always looked right through me, no attempt at eye contact, cept a few times to intimidate me. Threatened me over a parking spot that I had first claim to one time. Fk em...
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 19th April 2018 at 02:07.
    Tingtong likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I live amongst Thai Sunni Moslems , and they are also my landlords , and my common law wife is an Asian Buddhist.
    Im the son of a 10 quid English immigrant and the descendant of Irish rebel convicts.
    I call these issues as I see them.

My landlords family is polite , cordial and honest.
    The direct families MEN , nod , smile and do any negotiating.
    The woman do not.
    None of the woman have ever initiated a conversation with me , and a couple of them have never even replied to my , "Sawadee Kup" when Ive felt obliged to offer one , or forgotten not to bother.
    So HALF of the local population is not capable , or not allowed , or feel they shouldnt , make any dialogue at all with the outsider ( me ).
    As the local Buddhists ALL say 'kup/kah' when greeted , I conclude that the Moslem 'culture' is , at Very best , only half as friendly or welcoming as the Buddhist.
    As the women folk do not feel its ok to be friendly , or even polite to me , as other Thai almost always are , I also have a hunch that their ' Moslem culture' must be somewhat mysoginistic , or why not be polite ... but Im open to suggestions other possible reasons of course.

Anyone got any ??
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I live amongst Thai Sunni Moslems , and they are also my landlords , and my common law wife is an Asian Buddhist.
    Im the son of a 10 quid English immigrant and the descendant of Irish rebel convicts.
    I call these issues as I see them.

My landlords family is polite , cordial and honest.
    The direct families MEN , nod , smile and do any negotiating.
    The woman do not.
    None of the woman have ever initiated a conversation with me , and a couple of them have never even replied to my , "Sawadee Kup" when Ive felt obliged to offer one , or forgotten not to bother.
    So HALF of the local population is not capable , or not allowed , or feel they shouldnt , make any dialogue at all with the outsider ( me ).
    As the local Buddhists ALL say 'kup/kah' when greeted , I conclude that the Moslem 'culture' is , at Very best , only half as friendly or welcoming as the Buddhist.
    As the women folk do not feel its ok to be friendly , or even polite to me , as other Thai almost always are , I also have a hunch that their ' Moslem culture' must be somewhat mysoginistic , or why not be polite ... but Im open to suggestions other possible reasons of course.

Anyone got any ??

My apartment building of about 400 apartments is about 25-30% Muslims, I'd say...........so that's a lot of Muslims I see daily
    And it's all over the place to the point you can't really set a pattern, with the exception of the full on hijab wearing women who can be downright rude

But the others can be extremely pleasant, stand-offish, just keep to themselves...................honestly no different than any other groups in my building

With the exception of the very religious Muslims being more unpleasant than the most unpleasant of any other group, if that makes sense
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    There are lots of Muslims in Chiang Mai, and fairly near where I live for 5 months of the year. They've never been a problem. However, there are some radical groups that never should have been allowed to immigrate into western societies. That should have been up to the authorities to vet them properly before granting citizenship.

But, isn't this the COST OF LIVING THREAD?
    Last edited by Ian Forbes; 19th April 2018 at 07:50.
    Zablive likes this.

Cadet
    Hi everyone so what is the yearly cost of living in Thailand ? I have been watching a lot of Youtube Vlogs on Thailand and what I have noticed there are a lot of people who have retired there but not living comfortably basically just existing, living in some small village with not much to do.
    I spent 10 days roughly in Ao Nang and spent about $1800 including accomodation. This was going out every night hitting the beer bars etc. I could easily get this to $900 but in rough figures does $30k AUD a year about right for a comfortable lifestyle?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Im just transferring important info to my 2019 new diary and I see there that I brought in exactly $30k aud in 2008 when I moved here from NSW to Phuket.
    The xrate was , back then , 28.81 baht to a dollar aud.

This year I had to bring in $40k aud in early October , at 22.57 . ( So as to 'mature' my money for 3 months as part of Retirement Visa Extension conditions.)
    This was NOT a good time to bring in money it turns out , as the aud is now UP a full baht or more on that.
    So 40,000 baht I didnt get at exchange could have bought me a nice Honda Click scooter ! ( or paid near 2 months rent .)
    So it goes..

I dont lead a frugal life like you describe above.
    But I dont live a 'flash' one either.
    I do support a fairly frugal Thai lady but , and help support her grand daughter who lives with us.
    Run a truck and motorcycles..have a trip home and/or OS each year.
    And we do live in Phuket which must be one of the most expensive provinces.

30k aus wouldnt do it for me now , particularly with an Australian government committed to driving the aud down and keeping it low.
    My "Super" earns well more than $40k a year , so Im not overly worried 'should something happen' .
    I would imagine that just scraping by in paying to live here would not a be something I would willingly embrace either.
    justcruzing1, Minder and PeteGill like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ don't feel too bad about that XRate old mate...the $AUS has ducked back down to $22.49 atm...its been on the decline since the talk of the U.S. "shutdown" and trade wars with China have gained headlines...

I have to agree that $AUD30K is a bit slim these days...back about 7-8 years ago it would buy you almost a million baht....these days its more like 675K...$AUD40K still won't get you a million baht atm...that makes a huge difference..especially when the Thai Govt requires you to have 800K plus in your bank account for 3 months prior to extending your retirement visa...

Having said that I don't live a crazy lifestyle...I do most of what I want but I don't go mad too often these days...maybe in the bars 2-3 times a month...a bit of travelling each year..but nothing really extravagant...my spend has been around the 1.2m baht per annum since I have settled down over the past few years..but the first couple of years were almost double that..yeah, tingtong I know..but I had fun..555

trying to live here on less that a million baht a year would rquire some sacrafice and budgeting imo
    Last edited by bacwaan; 24th December 2018 at 20:28.
    Minder likes this.

As long as you leave ladies and children out of the picture, and don't drink or smoke, it is easy to live nicely on 30,000 baht a month. There is no one life style that suits everyone.

This wouldn't pertain to a lot of expats but if you a teenager in high school the costs add up
    I'd go for as to say it is just about as much as any teenager in the West

Going away for sports(even when the schools pays a lot of it)
    Just hanging out with friends

And now all the costs for University testing and whatnot

Ao pays all the "small stuff" out of her own money and I'd guess she approaches 10k/mo in all the little expenses this last year of high school

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    This wouldn't pertain to a lot of expats but if you a teenager in high school the costs add up
    I'd go for as to say it is just about as much as any teenager in the West

Going away for sports(even when the schools pays a lot of it)
    Just hanging out with friends

And now all the costs for University testing and whatnot

Ao pays all the "small stuff" out of her own money and I'd guess she approaches 10k/mo in all the little expenses this last year of high school
    Like I said, take women and kids out of the picture and it's easy. It gets expensive otherwise no matter where you are.

However, children are worth every baht or penny if you spend time with them. I don't know anyone who would give them up at any price.

Geez, gone are the days of moving to south east Asian to live like a king on a western pension .
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast