The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Cost of living

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Geez, gone are the days of moving to south east Asian to live like a king on a western pension .
    I can't speak from personal experirnce, but my Canadian friend, Brad (the cheap Charlie guy) spends all his time in Vietnam now. He thinks he gets way more bang for his buck there. He says the women all have careers and the country "seems" more westernized. He says Thailand still seems a bit stuck in the past.
    Tingtong likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    I can't speak from personal experirnce, but my Canadian friend, Brad (the cheap Charlie guy) spends all his time in Vietnam now. He thinks he gets way more bang for his buck there. He says the women all have careers and the country "seems" more westernized. He says Thailand still seems a bit stuck in the past.
    From my tourist trips I would say it's much less Westernized, by a lot
    Compared to Thailand

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    From my tourist trips I would say it's much less Westernized, by a lot
    Compared to Thailand
    Still a Communist regime.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I think , "a bit of both ".
    I think that the Vietnamese of the bush are just as 'unfathomable' to the Westerner as the Thai , and may well be much less 'better off' when it comes to material possessions ...
    But the Vietnamese pretty much are a 'diaspora' today , and I am sure per capita , way more Vietnamese have relatives living around the world than the Thai , and because of that , they hear about Western trends ( business opportunities ) and are much more used to catering to Western ways.

Its back to the 'never been colonised' thing.
    The Viets have , and by 2 quite different powerful Western countries.
    Loads of Viets live in France ( and therefore varios French colonies ) and the USA.

Its a while since I was in Saigon , but all the things I like , such as great coffee , croissants , baguettes , ham , wine and cheeses , imported beers ...was all way more readily available and cheaper in Vietnam than Thailand.
    Taxis as well.
    It only appeared to be rooms that cost a bit more.
    The beaches near HCM werent a patch on those down here , so I wont be rushing to live in "Nam" any time soon.
    Didnt think the girls were as pretty either - and certainly less approachable.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Thanks for the "other" side of the story. Brad is not what I would call the standard western voice of opinion. 555

I've never been. so I can't give a personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I think , "a bit of both ".
    I think that the Vietnamese of the bush are just as 'unfathomable' to the Westerner as the Thai , and may well be much less 'better off' when it comes to material possessions ...
    But the Vietnamese pretty much are a 'diaspora' today , and I am sure per capita , way more Vietnamese have relatives living around the world than the Thai , and because of that , they hear about Western trends ( business opportunities ) and are much more used to catering to Western ways.

Its back to the 'never been colonised' thing.
    The Viets have , and by 2 quite different powerful Western countries.
    Loads of Viets live in France ( and therefore varios French colonies ) and the USA.

Its a while since I was in Saigon , but all the things I like , such as great coffee , croissants , baguettes , ham , wine and cheeses , imported beers ...was all way more readily available and cheaper in Vietnam than Thailand.
    Taxis as well.
    It only appeared to be rooms that cost a bit more.
    The beaches near HCM werent a patch on those down here , so I wont be rushing to live in "Nam" any time soon.
    Didnt think the girls were as pretty either - and certainly less approachable.
    Those are very good points about the relatives overseas and the influences

But as a day to day basis, I don't even think it comes close and think Thailand is way more Westernized
    And not necessarily a good thing not not entirely a bad thing either

For some reason I am thinking of my stepson in his last year of high school this year lives a pretty similar life to any Western kid
    Goes to a big school, hangs out at the movies and big malls.
    Often is out eating at fast food places like Pizza Company

And I think Thais are interacting with Westerners more

On the flip side
    I think the Vietnamese that are young and in school have a much better curiosity like Westerners vs Thais

As for the girls
    I think Thailand has a loy more pretty girls but the prettiest Vietnamese is more pretty than the prettiest Thai

Cadet
    Im just transferring important info to my 2019 new diary and I see there that I brought in exactly $30k aud in 2008 when I moved here from NSW to Phuket.
    The xrate was , back then , 28.81 baht to a dollar aud.

This year I had to bring in $40k aud in early October , at 22.57 . ( So as to 'mature' my money for 3 months as part of Retirement Visa Extension conditions.)
    This was NOT a good time to bring in money it turns out , as the aud is now UP a full baht or more on that.
    So 40,000 baht I didnt get at exchange could have bought me a nice Honda Click scooter ! ( or paid near 2 months rent .)
    So it goes..

I dont lead a frugal life like you describe above.
    But I dont live a 'flash' one either.
    I do support a fairly frugal Thai lady but , and help support her grand daughter who lives with us.
    Run a truck and motorcycles..have a trip home and/or OS each year.
    And we do live in Phuket which must be one of the most expensive provinces.

30k aus wouldnt do it for me now , particularly with an Australian government committed to driving the aud down and keeping it low.
    My "Super" earns well more than $40k a year , so Im not overly worried 'should something happen' .
    I would imagine that just scraping by in paying to live here would not a be something I would willingly embrace either.
    Thanks Chob yep I was just thinking 30K would get me by being a single male but yep I can even see how different lifestyles the costs can accumulate at the moment I am just doing holidays which suits me. I have been to Ho Chi Minh last year and thought some prices were a lot lower than Thailand like Saigon beer at a an expats bar was 80c this was like a larger than your standard 330ml bottle again go to a club and prices are the same as back in Oz. Other things like accomodation was not as good value as Thailand. Personally I thought the girls were more attractive but at the same time the P4P scene is not like Thailand

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by joca View Post
    Thanks Chob yep I was just thinking 30K would get me by being a single male but yep I can even see how different lifestyles the costs can accumulate at the moment I am just doing holidays which suits me. I have been to Ho Chi Minh last year and thought some prices were a lot lower than Thailand like Saigon beer at a an expats bar was 80c this was like a larger than your standard 330ml bottle again go to a club and prices are the same as back in Oz. Other things like accomodation was not as good value as Thailand. Personally I thought the girls were more attractive but at the same time the P4P scene is not like Thailand
    Hi everyone just been reading a thread on Trip Advisor just curious about the cost of beer at bars around the different areas of Thailand I said I was paying 100 baht at a bar in Center Point in Ao Nang (the most touristy part of Ao Nang) this was for a large Chang I thought the price was reasonable , other guys chimed in saying Ao Nang is one of the most expensive places in Thailand so what does beer cost in other places?
    From memory I was paying 100 Baht for a small Leo or Chang at the beer bars I think the cheapest I saw was a small Leo for 80 Baht at a regular bar.
    Interested to know what the price of beer is even in the backwaters of Thailand and the most expensive which I assume would be Bangkok Phuket and Islands like Koh Samui.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    From 4 till 7pm , a standard beer @ 330 mls ( Chang , Singha, Leo ) at e Kamala Aussie Bar is 60 baht. Add 10 to 20 baht outside those hours.

Even on Bangla rd , Patong you can get 80 baht beers all night , or 99 baht Leos at the Go Gos.

In the bush , say Nahkon Si Tammerat ( NST - South ) or Chiang Rai ( North West ) , the same can be had for 45 , 50 or 55 baht. Some people may say there are 'Bar Scenes' at these places , but if 6 or 8 bars constiute a 'scene' ... well , ok.

But surely nobody worth their salt would live there on that basis alone.
    Usually theres a Thai lady ( partner/regular poke ) living there.
    If a 'her indoors' is , for those farangs unaffordable , then we are talking about blokes who are trying to get by on 200 or $300 aud a week.
    Not my idea of Retirement.

Not referring to you joca , but if blokes are basing their retirement location on a 10 or even 20 baht price differential on a beer , they really shouldnt be here in the first place. My 10 years of local observations tell me that nothing good ever happens to poor people arriving in already poor countries..
    justcruzing1 and Minder like this.

Cadet Gold
    Is that bald headed twat thailand rob still living there ,when i was there i was thinking about going to colonel klinks grill house but apparently his prices are western style so decided against it .

Cadet
    From 4 till 7pm , a standard beer @ 330 mls ( Chang , Singha, Leo ) at e Kamala Aussie Bar is 60 baht. Add 10 to 20 baht outside those hours.

Even on Bangla rd , Patong you can get 80 baht beers all night , or 99 baht Leos at the Go Gos.

In the bush , say Nahkon Si Tammerat ( NST - South ) or Chiang Rai ( North West ) , the same can be had for 45 , 50 or 55 baht. Some people may say there are 'Bar Scenes' at these places , but if 6 or 8 bars constiute a 'scene' ... well , ok.

If a 'her indoors' is , for those farangs unaffordable , then we are talking about blokes who are trying to get by on 200 or $300 aud a week.

Not referring to you joca , but if blokes are basing their retirement location on a 10 or even 20 baht price differential on a beer , they really shouldnt be here in the first place. My 10 years of local observations tell me that nothing good ever happens to poor people arriving in already poor countries..
    Thanks Chob If I was going to spend any length of time in Thailand it would be around the tourist towns, at the moment doing 10 day holidays about 4 to 5 times a year around SE Asia. I thought 100 Baht for a large Chang was a great price just some other guy chimed in and said how expensive beer in Ao Nang is ??? I am in a good position financially so not to worried although I am a tight ass sometimes and always fly budget airlines, I have even caught the public bus to Perth Airport a few times when sitting at home bored the way i look at it Taxi/ Uber $70/50 to get to airport bus=$4 takes an hour longer. I worked in a foundry in another life and was getting $25 an hour So by catching the bus i saved the equivalent of 2 hours of hard graft .
    My weakness is going out which even back here in OZ makes up the majority of my cost of living.
    I have a couple of mates who are financially wreckless have no assets whatsever but wont fly anything but Thai airways and they stay at flash hotels.

"but if blokes are basing their retirement location on a 10 or even 20 baht price differential on a beer , they really shouldnt be here in the first place. My 10 years of local observations tell me that nothing good ever happens to poor people arriving in already poor countries..[/QUOTE]'

Yep I can see this being a big problem they want to live the lifestyle but shouldnt really be there, anyway the way the THB is going it will sort everything out the AUD has dropped another baht since i was there in Nov 2018. Was getting 23.7 now 22.7

I was in Hermosa Beach LA on the pier last Sunday for the Patriots game
    The place was absolutely packed

Beers were 80baht, bottle or draft

I walked out of there with a bill about 1200baht for 3 1/2 hours

I couldn't spend money in LA last weekend

Some of the 45bht beer bars in Pattaya are always busy during the day but they are not exactly my idea of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Still a Communist regime.
    as opposed to a capitalist cabal! yet its environment is better off....maybe that cost will be reconciled someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    Some of the 45bht beer bars in Pattaya are always busy during the day but they are not exactly my idea of fun.
    better off hitting the 7/11 and paying bare minimum baht, wondering the streets(beer in hand) as you see life go down from ground zero- make em feel the exchange rate bite......

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718