The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Cost of living

Cost of living

Others may like to contribute here to build up a mini database that will be of use to new Members who come and reside in Thailand.

We are in Chiang Mai, renting a comfortable 2 bed/2bath 4 y/o house with full kitchen, aircon, carport and 10 mins from the city. It's in a mooban, or security estate with guards, rubbish collection (daily), and excellent street maintenance.

This months expenses include all food cooked & consumed at home - we only ate out 5 or 6 times for lunch.

Rent.................10,000
    Mooban + water......800
    Lawns...................300
    Gas........................90
    Electricity..............800
    Truevision Gold....1,600
    Internet 3BB..........540

Subtotal.............13,530

Food/groceries....13,000
    Petrol....................800
    Beer ...................2,200
    Total.................29,530

We eat extremely well, loads of fresh greens, fruits, pork & chicken cuts mainly. We buy imported cereals, butter, olive oil and nz lamb or mussels as necessary.

We run fans most days and aircon in bedroom only at night. We have a gas cooktop, microwave + mini-oven and coffee machine which all get used daily.

The car is used ~ 3 times a week, otherwise it's a 5 minute scooter ride to do our shopping at Makro, markets, BigC and Rimping stores. If we did not have a Makro our grocery spend would be approx 25% more!
    bobdown48 and OzzyDamo like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Thanks for that Rob.... As a potential, but still a while off expat I am always interested to see some sort of budget.
    I usually ask around when in CM and have had some interesting responses in the past, but none clearly broken down like yours..

Hopefully some of the other BM's will add to this thread and give an idea on their spending.

BTW One question. What about medical insurance and household, vehicle insurance? Or is that too open-ended?

Fair question Peter. I only covered monthly expenses above so, re insurance:-

Medical = self insured, always have been.
    Car = 9,500 bt/pa for all incl western-style with 350k SI if total loss.
    Household = I have never subscribed to this form of insurance. We hide all satangs under the mattress and lock up securely. *Cha Ching*
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Ahh under the mattress 555 Thanks Rob

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    Others may like to contribute here to build up a mini database that will be of use to new Members who come and reside in Thailand.

We are in Chiang Mai, renting a comfortable 2 bed/2bath 4 y/o house with full kitchen, aircon, carport and 10 mins from the city. It's in a mooban, or security estate with guards, rubbish collection (daily), and excellent street maintenance.

This months expenses include all food cooked & consumed at home - we only ate out 5 or 6 times for lunch.

Rent.................10,000
    Mooban + water......800
    Lawns...................300
    Gas........................90
    Electricity..............800
    Truevision Gold....1,600
    Internet 3BB..........540

Subtotal.............13,530

Food/groceries....13,000
    Petrol....................800
    Beer ...................2,200
    Total.................29,530

We eat extremely well, loads of fresh greens, fruits, pork & chicken cuts mainly. We buy imported cereals, butter, olive oil and nz lamb or mussels as necessary.

We run fans most days and aircon in bedroom only at night. We have a gas cooktop, microwave + mini-oven and coffee machine which all get used daily.

The car is used ~ 3 times a week, otherwise it's a 5 minute scooter ride to do our shopping at Makro, markets, BigC and Rimping stores. If we did not have a Makro our grocery spend would be approx 25% more!

Using Robs format-

Rent....12,000
    Water......inc ( own crystal well)
    Internet...inc
    Cable......inc
    Elec........900
    Gas .......100

Sub................13000

Food............... 18,000
    Entertainment....10,000 ( I bought one round last night on Bangla that was 840 )
    Petrol.................1,000
    Motor scooters ( 3 ) ...500 inc maintenance
    Sub ...29,500 ( approx)

Other running costs are similiar to Robs. My house is only 1 bedroom but quite large, and I prolly eat out a bit more than Rob. Phuket , we would both agree , is more expensive than CM.
    My drawings this year have averaged 68k a month, but we have some very part time work going at the moment that defrays some costs.

Pics of the house and car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chob; 30th September 2012 at 23:27.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    This is all great stuff. I plan on moving to cm in about a year and have been thinking 60,000 per month. Looks like I'm somewhere in the ballpark.

Sent from my ST25a using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Using Robs format-

Rent....12,000
    Water......inc ( own crystal well)
    Internet...inc
    Cable......inc
    Elec........900
    Gas .......100

Sub................13000

Food............... 18,000
    Entertainment....10,000 ( I bought one round last night on Bangla that was 840 )
    Petrol.................1,000
    Motor scooters ( 3 ) ...500 inc maintenance
    Sub ...29,500 ( approx)

Other running costs are similiar to Robs. My house is only 1 bedroom but quite large, and I prolly eat out a bit more than Rob. Phuket , we would both agree , is more expensive than CM.
    My drawings this year have averaged 68k a month, but we have some very part time work going at the moment that defrays some costs.

Pics of the house and car.
    Khun Dee... please note your bottom line is 13k higher mainly due to 'entertainment' expenses. You could edit out the 10k as what one spends outside normal living expenses, incl. flights to Aus, trips to Ranong etc... are up to individuals spending capacity and hobbies. Moo, for example should not include his dirt bike expenses.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I did a spending analysis recently and came up with between 60-65k/month including 4 bikes and 2 cars although i`m getting an income from one of the cars so,....too many beers after the GF and GP races today to work it out 555

Yes , I agree , but thought I'd chuck it in as its a consideration of living down here.
    The 10k is only 2.5k a week, and thats not a lot for the Tuesday night , and Friday night ( quieter) and maybe a bottle of red...
    Hey , you put down yer beer! 555
    Last edited by Chob; 1st October 2012 at 02:02.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Khun Dee... please note your bottom line is 13k higher mainly due to 'entertainment' expenses. You could edit out the 10k as what one spends outside normal living expenses, incl. flights to Aus, trips to Ranong etc... are up to individuals spending capacity and hobbies. Moo, for example should not include his dirt bike expenses.
    If that's the case kaptain, can we assume that your 2,200 bht for beer is not entertainment but just the minimum amount of beer necessary to sustain life? $$$
    Distantpeak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    If that's the case kaptain, can we assume that your 2,200 bht for beer is not entertainment but just the minimum amount of beer necessary to sustain life? $$$
    That's it For home consumption, medicinal purposes only. $$$

We shall spend 6 x Chob's monthly entertainment allowance in November with son's wedding and their visit here after honeymoon, but that's over and above monthly living costs.

I also failed to include a couple of annual expenses; car/mb rego @ sfa + Immigration/visa cost @ 6k Bt incl multiple re-entry. However, these costs do vary considerably, depending on the individual and type of visa. 4 x visa runs can add up to quite a lot ex PHUKET, or very little if living in say, UDON THANI.

Vehicle expenses also vary depending on type and age. A new car might incur monthly repayments @ ~ 10k, per month, plus service costs, insurance, rego etc. An older, wholly owned vehicle, very little as insurance is not available or required and mandatory servicing not necessary. Interesting to note, our Honda Civic costs approx. 900 bt p/a in basic service costs. Very cheap!
    Cheers, Rob.

Cadet Gold
    Hi all i have seen on you tube where they are saying you can live on 500 dolars a month ,now that is only 15800 baht is this possible ?i see here that people are quoting 60,65,000 baht per month you would have to be working and a good job to be getting that sort of money ,as far as i know a good thai teacher only makes 40,000 baht per month can anyone clarify this?

40k/month seems around what a teacher makes.
    living on 16k/month wouldn`t be much of a life,but if you had a GF providing everything for you i guess it would be possible.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Depends where you live too....
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Theres people who come on boards and say anything...I dont know why.
    Theres a guy named Slimbag on another board who comes on and tells a newbie to allow 200 a day for food.
    I dont know why he'd say that , he lives here and seems an ok bloke.
    Certainly he knows a tiny 'American Breakfast ' costs a minimum of 80 baht.....
    120 - 150 baht is realistic and , snacks , lunch , dinner and drinks havent been added on yet.
    Call all that 500 for a day .... thats 15k spent a month already.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    40k/month seems around what a teacher makes.
    living on 16k/month wouldn`t be much of a life,but if you had a GF providing everything for you i guess it would be possible.
    Subsistence living at best.

60k is good... some months a bit less. Along comes a surprise expense and it's a bit more. Budget for any less than 60k and you will not enjoy life in LOS.
    Cheers, Rob.

Cadet Gold
    Subsistence living at best.

60k is good... some months a bit less. Along comes a surprise expense and it's a bit more. Budget for any less than 60k and you will not enjoy life in LOS.
    I have been told by a friend that if you come over as a tourist to work on about 50 dollers aus a day ,if you were to do this for a month then you would be looking at aroaund about 49,000 baht per month which equates to somewhere near 1600 dollars aus a month ,now my friend there gets a wage of around 19000 baht per month her rent on her single bed room is around 2900 baht per month she buys her food at the markets and cooks for herself ,60 k seems excessive kaptain i mean if a teacher can live on 40,000 and probably run a household and family then you must be living it up a bit ,i am unemployed at the moment and thorugh our generous government i am getting around 1000 aus per month and i am running a household here ,if i cant survive in the LOS on a thousand dollers there is definately something wrong with my lifestyle ,i should be able to live reasonably comfortable on that sort of money i would have thought ,correct me if i am wrong 60,000 seems a little bit high .

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    I have been told by a friend that if you come over as a tourist to work on about 50 dollers aus a day ,if you were to do this for a month then you would be looking at aroaund about 49,000 baht per month which equates to somewhere near 1600 dollars aus a month ,now my friend there gets a wage of around 19000 baht per month her rent on her single bed room is around 2900 baht per month she buys her food at the markets and cooks for herself ,60 k seems excessive kaptain i mean if a teacher can live on 40,000 and probably run a household and family then you must be living it up a bit ,i am unemployed at the moment and thorugh our generous government i am getting around 1000 aus per month and i am running a household here ,if i cant survive in the LOS on a thousand dollers there is definately something wrong with my lifestyle ,i should be able to live reasonably comfortable on that sort of money i would have thought ,correct me if i am wrong 60,000 seems a little bit high .
    I have chatted with an English friend of mine in CM who teaches.. He tries to not touch any of his investments and manages on his teaching salary.
    He told me that he can make it on under 30,000 a month, but he does live a very basic lifestyle. a one room place with fan only, no TV, no bike as he walks to work or gets his GF to drive him if he needs go further.
    So it can be done, but it would not be a lifestyle that I would want. I think that Rob's 60,000 would make things a little more comfortable and pleasant.

^ 60k/month is slightly less than the min for a decent quality of life in LOS...drastically less is just surviving IMO.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    The retirement visa minimum requirement is 65,000 a month and while this may seem generous or even excessive for some, it's not unrealistic.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast