Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Sydney
  • 2 Post By Minder

Thread: Phoning your Aussie Bank

  1. #1
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,225

    Phoning your Aussie Bank

    One bank I use in Aus is Suncorp. It's run by retards who should have stuck with insurance and left banking to the real ar$eholes. I should add that there online banking is excellent, and I have always had fair results from their insurance arm.

    Part of my probs is using a Suncorp Visa Debit Card for Air Asia purchases. Should be fine, right? Nup, it goes thru the "Verified by Visa" extra security because AA is apparently a high risk fraudulant use place. I will add its even for purchases as low as $30.

    The VBV system sends you a One Time Password. Cool, but I don't use an Aus Mobi. So I ask them to enter +6687XXXXX as my number. No problem they say.

    Fast forward 12 months, meanwhile heaps of emails, I still can't do purchases without phoning them at my expense to clear the card to make the purchase. A real pain when you have got to the Pay Page on a great AA sale.

    Anyway, find out they can't put a + in the phone box on their computer, so I say how about 001166978XXXXX....nup, box aint big enough for that many digits. But wait....we can set it to 3 security questions.

    So its set to ask me questions....Mums Birth Towm, Cats Name, Phone Number Suncorp have on record to your account. They tell me its 66878XXXXXX.

    So go to the VBV, answer the questions and the card gets locked, the box to fill in the number isnt big enough. So another call....get the number set to 0878XXXXX.

    I am yet to test it. You can't test it without making a purchase thru a site they don't trust.

    I wanted rembursement for all the phonecalls....on hold does cost, but was laughed at. But was told I could phone collect. Cool....how to phone collect to Australia from Thailand?

    Well, I have the answer....there are 3 numbers for the 3 major Telcos. They are answered by an Aussie operator who dials through your number, and asks will they accept. I got these numbers from TOT and was told to try all/any until you get through.

    AAPT 1800006177
    OPTUS 1800006188
    Telstra 1800006199

    My suggestion is try calling your bank collect, just to say hullo, and let me know if it worked for you.

  2. #2
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,789
    So youre saying you can dial any of those numbers and an operator in Aus will call thru to your bank with the number you give her and ask them to accept a reverse charge call?

    I guess you have to put +61 in first?
    Not that I have to call my bank there more than once a year...

  3. #3
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,257
    Westpac has been good when traveling, Suncorp good for insurance I sold it for awhile and had a mortgage with them.
    Have the 3 questions thingy seems no worries with AA.
    .

  4. #4
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    7,154
    Next time i am OS i gonna try those numbers.....and when the bank person answers and says how can i help you sir i gonna say, you can't help me, i dont need help today and i dont want your help today..... and when the nice bank person says then why are you calling today sir, i gonna say because i thought i would try wasting some of your time and money and see how it feels for you ??
    wabbits likes this.
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,225
    They are the numbers you dial from your mobile or landline, nothing extra, and yes, the operator calls the number you provide.

  6. #6
    Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Perth , Australia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    3,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    ..... and when the nice bank person says then why are you calling today sir, i gonna say because i thought i would try wasting some of your time and money and see how it feels for you ??
    I collect the Reply Paid envelopes from all those unsolicited credit card and finance offers I get in the mail and send them my other junk mail - Half price pizza offers, window shutter discount vouchers, etc

    I figure if its okay for them to waste my time opening their junk mail ....

    Enjoy
    Quarky and Sydney like this.
    Life is the unexpected ...

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    One bank I use in Aus is Suncorp. It's run by retards who should have stuck with insurance and left banking to the real ar$eholes. I should add that there online banking is excellent, and I have always had fair results from their insurance arm.

    Part of my probs is using a Suncorp Visa Debit Card for Air Asia purchases. Should be fine, right? Nup, it goes thru the "Verified by Visa" extra security because AA is apparently a high risk fraudulant use place. I will add its even for purchases as low as $30.

    The VBV system sends you a One Time Password. Cool, but I don't use an Aus Mobi. So I ask them to enter +6687XXXXX as my number. No problem they say.

    Fast forward 12 months, meanwhile heaps of emails, I still can't do purchases without phoning them at my expense to clear the card to make the purchase. A real pain when you have got to the Pay Page on a great AA sale.

    Anyway, find out they can't put a + in the phone box on their computer, so I say how about 001166978XXXXX....nup, box aint big enough for that many digits. But wait....we can set it to 3 security questions.

    So its set to ask me questions....Mums Birth Towm, Cats Name, Phone Number Suncorp have on record to your account. They tell me its 66878XXXXXX.

    So go to the VBV, answer the questions and the card gets locked, the box to fill in the number isnt big enough. So another call....get the number set to 0878XXXXX.

    I am yet to test it. You can't test it without making a purchase thru a site they don't trust.

    I wanted rembursement for all the phonecalls....on hold does cost, but was laughed at. But was told I could phone collect. Cool....how to phone collect to Australia from Thailand?

    Well, I have the answer....there are 3 numbers for the 3 major Telcos. They are answered by an Aussie operator who dials through your number, and asks will they accept. I got these numbers from TOT and was told to try all/any until you get through.

    AAPT 1800006177
    OPTUS 1800006188
    Telstra 1800006199

    My suggestion is try calling your bank collect, just to say hullo, and let me know if it worked for you.

    Just called the Telstra number - using only the quoted number above - and it got through to an option for "Australia Reverse Direct".

    BUT - you had to enter an OZ number - so use the "Stolen credit card" number for your bank and enjoy the "think music" on their dime. (this is often the only tel.# published for a bank other than the general queue #)

    The other annoying thing about the banks' "box layout" - same problem for me - is that most addresses in Thailand are 123/456 format - but the banks wont let you use "/" or "Z" also.
    Last edited by Zablive; 21st January 2013 at 11:12.

  8. #8
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,494
    AFAIK a 1800 number works from o/s if the client has enabled it. As they pay the cost for incoming calls, very few 1800 numbers work outside Aus.

    I also have SC net banking and agree it's very good. Problems arose when my personal security (number) 'token' expired last year. They do NOT post new ones to o/s addresses. I asked via PM if they would call me to discuss options. "No, you must call us on 13xxxxx". 8 PM's back and forth during which I vented re 'how the feck is a customer travelling o/s supposed to operate his a/c' and also asked if my son (who has signing rights) can pick up new 'token' and fwd to me, and ... got nowhere.
    Finally, one last attempt was answered by a new operator who PM'd back that he could change my security 'device' to a password but this would only permit sums up to 10,000 to be transferred.

    Had a similar problem with PayPal when I added a new CC to for some online transactions. PP wanted anti-fraud contact number entered and +66 was not acceptable. Same story as Brians, so I told them to keep my long redundant Vodafone number on file as I wasn't about to create a special a/c within Thailand and try to link with an Aussie credit card .... can only imagine the impossibility of verifying bank credentials that way!

    Now the good news. A** Bank recently updated security systems and implemented a OTP system. Upon going online I was directed to the registration page with an option for inserting a 'global number' .... woohoo!

    Moral of the story is to have multiple FREE (of charges) online a/c's and FREE credit cards in case one is unable to be used or they change something. My 28Degrees card is a beauty for all fx transactions + I have a FREE Westpac card for use inside Au or other emergency.

    Re AirAsia, the VbV system is a real pita which is why we use NOK within Thailand and I'll be trying Scoot next home trip.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  9. #9
    Frequent Flyer kaptainrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lannaland
    Posts
    8,494
    Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    I collect the Reply Paid envelopes from all those unsolicited credit card and finance offers I get in the mail and send them my other junk mail - Half price pizza offers, window shutter discount vouchers, etc

    I figure if its okay for them to waste my time opening their junk mail ....

    Enjoy
    I LIKE that idea
    I used to write RTS on the unopened envelope with 2 diagonal line across, as PO employees do, and put back in the mail.

    My son, who has a PO Box, reports his home letter box is so stuffed full with flyers that weathering has expanded them and no other 'mail' can be inserted. He ignored a notice on the doorstep from PO demanding clearing of the letter box.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    You can also use a Siam CB debit card on AA bookings.

    But the Briofoz method is very therapeutic 555!

  11. #11
    The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,257
    One thing I do not like about WP though is when ever I ring and change something on my account this must send a prompt to the marketing department!
    Even after I have asked for no calls...Still they come, got them programmed in to ignore.
    .

  12. #12
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,987
    Brian, why do you not put call forward on your Aussie number to your Thai number and that way you should get the code number

    The one I have with the CBA I was told that I would not be able to receive code numbers on my Aussie phone when overseas. Guess what the 1st transaction I had to do from the UK came through straight away and from then on have never had a problem.

    If my credit runs out (pre paid), I just do not recharge it to make calls, but am still able to receive incoming SMS messages for some reason
    Last edited by chelski; 22nd January 2013 at 00:47.

  13. #13
    Cadet silver MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    105
    I am with the NAB and had a similar problem when I first moved overseas. Thankfully I have a direct line to my branch manager so no waiting on hold. He changed it over very quickly to my new number no problems. Then I started travelling to more and more countries it became a real pain to keep changing so he simply switched it off (with my permission). Have had no problems in the last 5 years as a result.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •