Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By slampay

Thread: Renting in Koh Chang

Newby

Renting in Koh Chang

Sorry but an another refugee from PI here;

Thinking about moving to Koh Chang for a year, I am self employed and work from laptop, anyway, wife has a bee in her bonnet about moving to Koh Chang, I have had a look but all rentals look like and are priced at holiday rentals.

Does anyone know of a source that can assist with a 12 month lease? I know there was a moderator (I think) on PI that deals with real estate.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Yes Dodger was the contact. I am sure some of the Kamala BMs may be able to put you in contact with him... and welcome to the forum...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Welcome Monty. I sent you a pm, a way to get ahold of Dodge.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    WTTB Monty, Have a look around you will find many familiar members.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน slampay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    WTTB Monty, Have a look around you will find many familiar members.
    Sounds like a sales pitch for a "all men's" sauna...
    The white swallows men's club....555
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slampay View Post
    Sounds like a sales pitch for a "all men's" sauna...
    The white swallows men's club....555
    Is that the finger place I overheard mentioned in Frithco... 555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Welcome monty, I just returned from a few days in Koh Chang and I can understand why you are considering spending a year there. Really lovely place with a quieter vibe then most other holiday spots in Thailand. It seems most of the beachfront is taken up by resorts, however, all the way from White Sands beach to the southern tip. I rented a car one day (it was Songkran and I didn't feel like being pummelled with water on a motorbike every 50 meters!) and it was really tough finding any public access roads to the beach, as almost all roadways lead into resorts of one kind or another. Prices even for rooms seem generally high there, tho, even during the hot season.

Let us know how the search for rentals goes.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Foundation Member Uber Star quiksilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vanguy77 View Post
    Welcome monty, I just returned from a few days in Koh Chang and I can understand why you are considering spending a year there. Really lovely place with a quieter vibe then most other holiday spots in Thailand. It seems most of the beachfront is taken up by resorts, however, all the way from White Sands beach to the southern tip. I rented a car one day (it was Songkran and I didn't feel like being pummelled with water on a motorbike every 50 meters!) and it was really tough finding any public access roads to the beach, as almost all roadways lead into resorts of one kind or another. Prices even for rooms seem generally high there, tho, even during the hot season.

Let us know how the search for rentals goes.
    Interested in hearing a bit more.
    Looking at a few days there in June.

Uber Star Foundation member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน vanguy77's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilva View Post
    Interested in hearing a bit more.
    Looking at a few days there in June.
    I think I will go back to writing a trip report rather then just a photo journal this time quiksilva. Unfortunately, Koh Chang was the last place on the trip, which means you would have to wait 6 to 7 months to read anything about it! 555

So I'll just say quickly that we spent 4 days there, flying down to Trat with Bangkok Airways rather then take the bus. The bus was estimated at 7 hours each way, but could easily turn out to be 8 depending on road/traffic conditions, plus the ferry ride, and then the ride to the resort once on the island, so could potentially be 9-10 hours each way. With just 6 days left on my trip, I did not want to spend up to 20 hours of that time just getting back and forth from Koh Chang. So flew, which is FAR more expensive, especially during Songkran week, but I still think it was well worth it. Less then an hour flight, and then for 300 baht/person, you can get a seat on a mini-van that takes you right from the airport in Trat to the front door of your resort. Easy and painless, and takes only a fraction of the time of a marathon bus trip. Someone ... was it Cilla? ... on here wrote about a trip to Koh Chang last year, that is worth looking up, as it covered the ordeal by bus pretty well.

Once there, all the resorts are on the west side of the island, starting from White Sand Beach and working south. White Sand is the busiest area, with the longest stretch of bars and restaurants and 7-11's (2 that I could see, on opposite sides of the street, not much more then a block apart). However, there are several beach areas further south down the island, and each one seemed to have a small bar district on the one main road, with stores, massage shops, etc. I can't speak to what those beaches are like, however, as we could not hop out of the car as often as we would have liked, because there were hordes of Songkran types, Thai and Falang, just waiting to dump their buckets of water on our heads if we did.

The bar scene on White Sand Beach is really varied, from Paddy's Irish Pub, which serves up several brands of genuice Cider, to a fairly large section of Bangla road style bargirl type bars, to at least one great music bar with live rock bands performing covers of well-known tunes. Apparently there is a small disco/nightclub as well, but we never went to it, so I can't speak for it. White Sand Beach take us about 15-20 minutes to walk end to end, so its not really all that big, but there is a solid strip of bars and clubs, massage shops and restaurants. Some really good eating, btw. Apparently some very good diving as well, tho again, we did not do any on this trip.

We only went for 4 days, as I said, but we both really enjoyed it there, and I wish we had skipped Ko Samet, which was almost too quiet, and spent at least a week on Koh Chang instead. Hope that helps, but I am sure there are others who have spent far more time there.
    Last edited by vanguy77; 24th April 2013 at 01:38.
    [SIZE="3"]"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
    Mark Twain
    [/SIZE]

Platinum
    A bit late now! But I've only been upgraded.

Try koh-chang-guide.com for useful info.

But my understanding (and experience for one day in November) is that during the wet season it is very very wet.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    What's the internet like there - speed/reliability?

Platinum
    It was OK while I was there. I understand that there are a few rain induced interruptions.

However I should add that I was just browsing a few web pages not trying to download films.

Did I mention it was wet? According to iamkohchang.com (converted from mm for EB / ZB!)

May, 14.6 inches
    June, 35.6
    July, 35.6
    August, 42.2
    September, 25.5
    October, 14.1

So, broadly an inch a day for almost four months of the year.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    CGH! I went metric decades ago Cashboy 555!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    When I was there, the Internet speed down south was equivalent to the old dial-up at best.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason