The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Thai bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    I'm in Pattaya at the moment, and after being knocked back by nearly every bank for not having a WP or for only having a tourist visa I finally had some luck with Bangkok Bank. They allow a 30 day visa but you must have proof of address in Thailand. For this I had to go to immigration and get an official letter. 300bht plus 2 photos. Can only have a savings account plus a card for ATM . Job done ��
    Actually you are VERY lucky because Immigration shouldn't have issued a certification of residence without you having a Non Immigrant Visa.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I got lucky 17 years ago when I had a Thai girl friend vouch for me, and it got me a savings account at Siam Commercial bank... along with an ATM card. Only 20 baht to transfer money to other accounts within Thailand. I set up accounts with the two (now grown) kids I look after, and Pui who needs money for medical stuff. Also handy for sending money to a couple of lady friends when they want to come to Chiang Mai to see family.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockitt View Post
    I'm in Pattaya at the moment, and after being knocked back by nearly every bank for not having a WP or for only having a tourist visa I finally had some luck with Bangkok Bank. They allow a 30 day visa but you must have proof of address in Thailand. For this I had to go to immigration and get an official letter. 300bht plus 2 photos. Can only have a savings account plus a card for ATM . Job done ��
    'at'll do Rockitt ...at'll do ....
    Rockitt likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlund View Post
    Actually you are VERY lucky because Immigration shouldn't have issued a certification of residence without you having a Non Immigrant Visa.
    They must make that "mistake" regularly.... myself and 6 of my mates (that I know of) have done exactly what Rockitt has done....
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

Cheers fellas. Thanks for the advice. It saved me a lot of time. Immigration in Jomtiem was fairly quiet and the man on the reception desk was very helpful. There were people outside who gave me a hand to fill in the form, sort out a couple of photos etc. Once completed you have to present all the documents etc to the immigration officer. The lady who helped me to fill in the form offered to present it to immigration fast tracked, lol for 1500bht. I then felt a sharp jab in the ribs from my girlfriend, the two made eye contact, and that was the end of that. Girlfriend said we present it and save money, bless her. It only took another 30 mins and in total, from start to finish, I'd say about 90 mins.
    Last edited by Rockitt; 13th May 2017 at 13:45.
    dave01 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    They must make that "mistake" regularly.... myself and 6 of my mates (that I know of) have done exactly what Rockitt has done....
    It happend to you and your mates. And you should be greatful for that. But it DOES NOT mean it happens to everyone or the next time you want a certification of residence. Thai law states that you MUST HAVE a Non Immigrant Visa. And there is a certain logic in that. The Immigration issues a certification of residence because you are NOT a tourist, but a "perminent" resident. For those of us who live in Thailand know that every time we go to an office there can be "new" rules.
    Distantpeak likes this.

Next I will be 'told" that I can't get a DL unless I am "permanent".. Mileages vary.

As for the law stating you need a Non Imm visa.... It may well say that, but like anything else, enforcement is optional. Here is a PDF from Bangkok Bank, clearly stating people on Tourist Visas may open an account, albeit with conditions. "Thai law states", 5555... someone better tell Bangkok Bank.

One size, certainly, does NOT fit all.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/download/Ref_Form_Eng.pdf

Opening a Thai Bank Account
    Last edited by dave01; 19th May 2017 at 10:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Norlund View Post
    For those of us who live in Thailand know that every time we go to an office there can be "new" rules.

Pardon me while I laugh. That is SO typical of Thailand. I've been to the same government offices in Chiang Mai, and on any given day, depending on what clerk is on duty, I will get a different answer to my questions. It sure confused me the first 10 times it happened, but after a while I just smiled and said to myself... "This is Thailand." and came back a few days later to get the job done by someone else. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes not.

I've had a Thai bank account for at least 17 years and always with The Siam Commercial bank. I set up bank accounts with the same banking company for my two kids down in Kanchanaburi when they were 13 and 15. When I tried to do the same for Pui's 15 year old daughter the bank in Chiang Mai told me that the girl had to be 16 before she could have an account of her own. Same banking company... different rules in different cities.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Next I will be 'told" that I can't get a DL unless I am "permanent".. Mileages vary.

As for the law stating you need a Non Imm visa.... It may well say that, but like anything else, enforcement is optional. Here is a PDF from Bangkok Bank, clearly stating people on Tourist Visas may open an account, albeit with conditions. "Thai law states", 5555... someone better tell Bangkok Bank.

One size, certainly, does NOT fit all.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/download/Ref_Form_Eng.pdf

Opening a Thai Bank Account
    That clearly states a Tourist Visa.
    A 30 day Visa Exempt entry is not a Tourist Visa.
    So the OP was lucky.
    Moo Uaon likes this.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Oops 55 Visa exempt (30 day stamp) was always knocked back. TV no problem.... but not all banks took that and ask for a WP.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Bangkok Bank were the only bank that said I didn't need a WP. They wanted a letter from my UK bank, which I obtained, but nobody asked to see it. All they wanted was my passport and Letter of residence.
    Immigration checked my passport, asked where I was staying and asked to see my hotel address on my booking receipt.( I was only staying 3 days). They also were not interested in a letter from my UK bank. One thing I did notice on the form which the girl filled out was that see had written 'For bank Account' on the top of the form.
    Maybe the confusion is around a tourist Visa and a 30 day stamp. The Bank confused, or Immigration confused. Anybody's guess.
    Stillearly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    That clearly states a Tourist Visa.
    A 30 day Visa Exempt entry is not a Tourist Visa.
    So the OP was lucky.
    That may well be so Barry, but I was responding to the assertion that a Non Imm was needed, and plainly, that is not the case, at least at BKK Bank.

And probably not the case at all BKK banks.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    That may well be so Barry, but I was responding to the assertion that a Non Imm was needed, and plainly, that is not the case, at least at BKK Bank.
    And I was responding to your assertion that you and six of your mates did the same as the OP - which is how it read 555!
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    And I was responding to your assertion that you and six of your mates did the same as the OP - which is how it read 555!
    I should have been clearer.... for you Barry... Again, I was responding to the assertion that you need a Non Imm Visa to open an account.... Here's a refresh:

"Quote Originally Posted by Norlund View Post
    Actually you are VERY lucky because Immigration shouldn't have issued a certification of residence without you having a Non Immigrant Visa."

And my response:
    "They must make that "mistake" regularly.... myself and 6 of my mates (that I know of) have done exactly what Rockitt has done...."

I didn't mention Visa Exemption or 30 days... Where there may be some confusion, for you, is what I meant by we did what Rockitt had done, was go to Immigration and get the required document, without the much vaunted Non Imm Visa.... that's it!! And all managed to open an Acc without a Non Imm Visa.

All I am doing is challenging the notion that a Non Imm visa is required, where that assertion is patently wrong. Not you...

Thai law has no requirements regarding foreigners creating a Thai bank acount. It's up to the individual bank to decide. But Thai law says that you MUST HAVE a Non Immigrant Visa to get a residence certificate at the Immigration office. I know that SOMETIMES you can get one at the Immigration Office without having a Non Immigrant Visa, but you shouldn't be so sure that you get a residence certificate the next time you visit the same office without having a Non Immigrant Visa.

What many expats do not understand is that officials in Thailand more or less have "free hands" and they can interpret the law as they please. What one expat experiences at one office can be completely different from what other expats experience at the same office. TIT (This is Thailand).
    Last edited by Norlund; 29th May 2017 at 18:50.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

That was my experience as well, Norlund. Countless times I've been in the same bank and had different requirements. Same with government offices. I had a bitch of a time getting a Thai driver's license the first few times I tried to go through the process. Same with getting my motorbike OFFICIALLY registered in my name. Then, with a change in personnel in the office, it mysteriously changed and I got my bike registered to me. It took a few days but at least it got done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    That was my experience as well, Norlund. Countless times I've been in the same bank and had different requirements. Same with government offices. I had a bitch of a time getting a Thai driver's license the first few times I tried to go through the process. Same with getting my motorbike OFFICIALLY registered in my name. Then, with a change in personnel in the office, it mysteriously changed and I got my bike registered to me. It took a few days but at least it got done.
    The problem with a tread like this is that westernes are so used to officials in their own home countries following the law to the letter and they believe it must be the same in Thailand. Then you are ending up with all this endless discussions because "everyone" has a story to tell. And their story is the correct one.

The hardest thing I had to do there was to transfer car and MB ownership from one province to another. In CM it took 3 visits and the better part of a week to get it sorted. I'm sure phuket wasn't as bad as that but can't remember. Was starting to think that I may have a stolen vehicle on my hands at one stage.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    I just sent money to K-Bank and they nicked 2% just for receiving it.
    Thats just thievery....
    I need a better way. Anyone?

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast