The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Thai bank account.

Thai bank account.

In Thailand it seems like everyone is doing what they want to do. So I'm NOT after what kind of experiences someone has had. What I'm after is what thai law says about a "farlang" having a bank account.
    Last edited by Norlund; 17th July 2013 at 07:58.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlund View Post
    In Thailand it seems like everyone is doing what they want to do. So I'm NOT after what kind of experiences someone has had. What I'm after is what thai law says about a "farlang" having a bank account.
    Don't think it is about the law... It's about bank policies..
    Some do, some don't.. TIT...555

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Don't think it is about the law... It's about bank policies..
    Some do, some don't.. TIT...555
    ... but what you think is based on your experiences ... so OP should disregard your post ....555
    40 is the old age of youth;
    50 is the youth of old age.
    ~Victor Hugo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2xJAsr2vO8&NR=1

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Mr. Smiley's Avatar
    Not sure I understand what you want, if the end goal is to get a Thai bank account then what does the law have anything to do with it... if you want an lawyer's advice go and pay a Thai lawyer to give you the ins and out. I wouldn't rely on a forum to get you expert views on Thai law and banking policies. But as far as I know as long as you have a Thai to act as your guarantor or you buy the bank's (medical?) insurance you should be able to open an account on any visa except the visa on arrival.
    Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    I have three Thai bank accounts all of them opened in a few minutes with just a passport and 1K baht. Two I opened when I held a Non Immigrant visa but IIRC the third and most recent I opened with just a 30 day visa exempt stamp (not 100% without going back and checking dates).

English ? lol

first 2 sentences contradict themselves and the rest ahh im so confused lol...your "after" the thai law's policy on having a bank account lolwut
    A good night, the best in a long time
    A new friend turned me on to an old favorite

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I have ONE Thai bank account opened whilst here years ago when holidaying on a 30 day visa.
    I was rejected by 4 Banks until Kasikorn Bank said yes , knowing I was only on a 30 day visa.
    An ATM card is attached to this card.

Krungthai Bank PCL

I'm asking the question on the background of this link and the fact that many goverments are fighting terrorisme and money laundering. Also the thai goverment. And I wanna know if there are issued some guidelines from The Bank of Thailand.

Krungthai Bank PCL

I'm asking the question on the background of this link and the fact that many goverments are fighting terrorisme and money laundering. Also the thai goverment. And I wanna know if there are issued some guidelines from The Bank of Thailand.

lol kidding but honestly I don't see anything on the page about terrorism or money laundering 55 basically its just a brief overview of a savings account they offer.
    A good night, the best in a long time
    A new friend turned me on to an old favorite

http://www.bot.or.th/Thai/LawsAndReg.../default2.aspx

Can I suggest you write to these people to get the law. I am not read it all.

Permanent resident or work visa or retirement Visa no problem
    yung rai kwa suea

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Krungthai is one of the more difficult banks for foreigners.
    Try Kasikorn (the green one).
    Where do you want to open your account (if you want to change some things you have to return to that branch)?
    What type of visa will you have?

What about banking laws do you need to know and why?

With more info people here can probably help you.

But be warned, we have done this before you lol.
    Last edited by Zablive; 17th July 2013 at 17:23.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Not sure what you are wanting to know, but here is a lawyers opinion about 3 visa types.

http://www.siam-legal.com/thai-visas.pdf

If you have a very specific question, then you may want to ask Siam Legal via Stickmanbangkok.com for some free advice.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Frequent Flyer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน kaptainrob's Avatar
    A farang who meets standard criteria may open an a/c with almost all Thai trading banks.

There are a few exceptions ie: Land & House Bank, although they do permit you to 'operate' on a spouses a/c. I guess they are primarily interested in mortgage lending anyway.

Normal criteria for a/c opening, incl. KrungThai, is a valid Passport with minimum 3 months on a visa.

I have found many bank 'clerks' do NOT understand the eligibility criteria and need to be prompted to "clarify with a superior" if getting a knock-back. It helps to have ones Thai partner along, complete with copy of her Tabien Baan/ID Card etc., as many rural bank clerks do not speak English.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    "Opening a bank account in Thailand
    Many local banks will require foreigners to hold a work permit or long-term visa before an application to open an account can be processed. It is advisable to visit a branch in person and confirm their acceptance criteria, as the terms and conditions can vary between banks.
    If you application for an account is successful, in most cases you will need a work permit if you wish to have access to internet banking. In addition, you may also need long-term Thai residency if you require a credit card or chequebook.
    Non residents are, however, allowed to open foreign currency savings accounts, subject to Thailand's foreign exchange regulations. As with all bank applications, you will be required to provide personal identification, which typically includes a passport and residency or work permits. A letter of reference from an employer, in addition to a letter of reference from your existing bank, along with recent bank statements, can all help to support your application."

From

Moving to Thailand? - International banking guides - Support and information - International - Barclays

Frequent Flyer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน kaptainrob's Avatar
    ^ somewhat outdated info from Barclays although House & Land Bank adhere to that criteria. The majors do not. Can obtain a CC provide one has sufficient funds of ~ 200k + on deposit but I can't see the point as a Debit Card may be used via Visa for purchases online. Internet Banking is available upon opening a/c's at Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank, Krung Thai etc. by separate application which can take a few days to activate.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    Does anyone know if there is a limit or restriction on the amount of foreign currency you can transfer in to a Thai bank account?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a limit or restriction on the amount of foreign currency you can transfer in to a Thai bank account?
    It's all in here Mike.

Exchange Control Regulations in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Thanks Baz, that was exactly what I was after - ie. no effective limit for me. It seems there is no limit on the Oz side either, except that AUSTRAC collects info on transfers more than $10,000 to guard against money laundering.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    Some will tell you only as much as youre willing to lose.
    Thai bank accounts are are not as secure as back home.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Some will tell you only as much as you're willing to lose.
    Thai bank accounts are are not as secure as back home.
    I am bringing in enough money to qualify for the retirement visa extension, and then I'm going to live on those funds for a year.

Not sure if this fits with your current risk-averse mentality...
    Last edited by Nubbins; 20th July 2013 at 18:49.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast