Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stages of expat life?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar

Stages of expat life?

As many on this forum, living far away from the Land of Smiles we all love, I to hope to one day live in Thailand.. (but are firmly stuck where I am for now)..

I do understand that tourists like me really have no clue.. And are idolizing living in Thailand from a holiday persepctive.. Which is very different from expat life..

Some of the stories shared on here do give some perspective, though, and there seems to be a pattern when people make that move to live the Thai expat life..

First there seems to be a extended holiday party mode, then a building a life mode, next a fase to establish or balance, followed by an urge or drive to get out of the holiday scene and moving to a more quite area..

This is what I see from afar...Hope to get some insight from the ones who are living in Thailand long time..

Why would you like to eventually live in Thailand? And not in a place like Australia or NZ? The more I visit Thailand... the more I think I couldn't live there long term. Just wondered what the appeal is for you?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Good question, wrong thread..555
    You want me to answer it here, or better move it to the other thread?

Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    Good question, wrong thread..555
    You want me to answer it here, or better move it to the other thread?
    Is this the right thread now?

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Why would you like to eventually live in Thailand? And not in a place like Australia or NZ? The more I visit Thailand... the more I think I couldn't live there long term. Just wondered what the appeal is for you?
    I have never been to either Australia or NZ.. So hard to judge on that.. I would like to see both, but I doubt I would stay.. Climate and pricewise beforehand, but western culture too probably..

For me, I start to feel comfortable above 20 C, and really live up above 25C.. Wonder why I was born here.. I hate cold, hate rain , wind and snow..555
    Lived in Africa for a while.. And had a great time.. Felt home while I lived there, but there was always a distance with the locals.. Not racial, but too hard, too agressive, too much struggle for life kind of reallity..

Thailand, for me, has the right mix of tropical climate, nature, friendly people, things to do.. Enough familiar, and enough different..
    And I like Buddhist culture, especially when mixed with animism and hinduism.. Allowing individual ways, not condemning and supportive of effort..

But knowing myself, after saying this, I will probably end up in Cambodia..555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    I know you have young children , is your plan to move once they have finished their education , if they follow in your path could be another 15 years I guess , how old are you now RT ?

Australia aint cold if you live in Queensland... tropical climate. Too hot for me... like Thailand... 555

I find the UK too cold. But NZ (North of Taupo) has the ideal climate for me... mild winters (15 to 20 degrees most days) for 4 months of the year... and warm summers... above 20 degrees for 8 months of the year. But not too often above 30... perfect. Ideal conditions for training, which is important for me....

Plus above a certain temperature you increase you risk of dying (heart attacks/stroke etc) which plays on my mind..

NZ is nice combination of civilised Europe mixed with wild outback/bush/forest unchanged for thousands of years which I really like... plus everyone is into rugby... 555

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    I know you have young children , is your plan to move once they have finished their education , if they follow in your path could be another 15 years I guess , how old are you now RT ?
    My youngest (daughter) is 10 years old now..
    If I am still alive when she is 18.. I am gone...

My children know this... not named a date, but when they have grown up..
    I am 48 yo now... so out of here when 56..

Australia aint cold if you live in Queensland... tropical climate. Too hot for me... like Thailand... 555

I find the UK too cold. But NZ (North of Taupo) has the ideal climate for me... mild winters (15 to 20 degrees most days) for 4 months of the year... and warm summers... above 20 degrees for 8 months of the year. But not too often above 30... perfect. Ideal conditions for training, which is important for me....

Plus above a certain temperature you increase you risk of dying (heart attacks/stroke etc) which plays on my mind..

NZ is nice combination of civilised Europe mixed with wild outback/bush/forest unchanged for thousands of years which I really like... plus everyone is into rugby... 555
    So why you stay in England?
    Please don't tell me you like city belt nature, or the local women..555

So why you stay in England?
    Please don't tell me you like city belt nature, or the local women..555
    Women, friends, business... and something else I can't explain... 555

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar

First there seems to be a extended holiday party mode, then a building a life mode, next a fase to establish or balance, followed by an urge or drive to get out of the holiday scene and moving to a more quite area..
    Of course we are all different....however the phases you set out aren't too different to what i have been through in my time here (almost 5 years now)

I never came with a view to party though....I'd had enough trips here beforehand to get that mostly out of my system.....but i certainly strived to get as much of my first year off work as i could get..or as much as I could get away with without being dragged back in

second year i decided I wanted to concentrate more on my furniture design work and resisted my old business beckoning me..I also wanted to travel more in LoS and within SEA....so i spent chunks of time out of HKT

At the end of my third year in HKT my 4th long wet season there started to grate on me and I was looking to either spend time away for most of that or find somewhere in LoS where that was less effected..so I moved to Samui where i had visited often and had a deep affection for

4th year was getting to know samui more intimately and getting out and about on the scooter and finding the "avenues and alleyways" and out of the way spots....and this year my 5th i have had an old mate from AUS (who has been a regular up here visiting me) come over to move in next door down...so its a new phase showing him the details and him getting sorted...he seems to be doing well

who knows what's next...in a couple of weeks we are travelling to the PI and Cambo...two places i have a deep affinity with also...could be one of them...could be back home to AUS or NZ..or I could take up one or two of the offers i get regularly to work/live in studio in Spain or Italy..maybe even the south pacific although my more adventurous side is waning with my powers

Women, friends, business... and something else I can't explain... 555
    My country is so over-organized.. Never liked that, and start to dislike it more and more.. (Uk is less so..)
    I think I am dissociated from Dutch society since I came back from Tanzania..
    I have tried to adapt, and managed to some extend.. But..

everything people talk about here is degrees of luxury. never about anything that matters..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    everything people talk about here is degrees of luxury. never about anything that matters..
    but why does that matter to you? i never understood that
    people i work with live in 3mil dollar houses, have 1mil vacation homes, will never want for money
    i make a good living and live in a luxury apartment but won't ever have the wealth they do(mostly family money) but what others want/enjoy doesn't effect my life one bit
    i have friends/family that are lower middle class and i have friends that are uber rich

it is like when people complain about Christmas being too comercialized. if they don't like that aspect, just take out of it what you enjoy
    same with life. why does outside factors even matter?

Thanks Bacwaan!
    Do you see yourself as a traveler or a Thai expat? ( you seem to have gone manywhere..)

My country is so over-organized.. Never liked that, and start to dislike it more and more.. (Uk is less so..)
    I think I am dissociated from Dutch society since I came back from Tanzania..
    I have tried to adapt, and managed to some extend.. But..

Just talk to the people who talk about things you like then... 555

Do you mean the "background noise" to every day life... work colleagues, patients etc? Rather than people who are your friends?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    but why does that matter to you? i never understood that
    people i work with live in 3mil dollar houses, have 1mil vacation homes, will never want for money
    i make a good living and live in a luxury apartment but won't ever have the wealth they do(mostly family money) but what others want/enjoy doesn't effect my life one bit
    i have friends/family that are lower middle class and i have friends that are uber rich

it is like when people complain about Christmas being too comercialized. if they don't like that aspect, just take out of it what you enjoy
    same with life. why does outside factors even matter?
    You are right.. They don't matter...

But in saying that, I (or you) make yourself outcast.. If everyone is talking about yeasterday's TV shows, and you don't care.. You are out of the conversation..
    If people like to bitch about the weather, politics or what car to buy... You choose to recognize the importance.. Or are left out of the discussion..

If you want to talk about things that do matter.. No one is interested..
    I am not talking good or bad (or maybe I am), but this is what has got me on the outside of society..
    Still no problem, I can do ok...

But my liking for Thailand comes from feeling associated with people!
    Acceptance (or even respect) for wanting to go to a temple, fishing, hiking, needing alone time..
    A society less organized and more tolerant! With all its shortcomings..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

But in saying that, I (or you) make yourself outcast.. If everyone is talking about yeasterday's TV shows, and you don't care.. You are out of the conversation..
    If people like to bitch about the weather, politics or what car to buy... You choose to recognize the importance.. Or are left out of the discussion..

I am not talking good or bad (or maybe I am), but this is what has got me on the outside of society..

Acceptance (or even respect) for wanting to go to a temple, fishing, hiking, needing alone time..
    i find it extremely difficult to believe that you can't find satisfying conversations and like minded people in your country
    especially working in your field
    and how are you associated with people in Thailand and not at home? wouldn't that have to do more with your attitude than others?
    i think your just one of those people with their head stuck in Thailand to the detriment to what is around you right at home (i didn't mean that harsh when i said "one of those people")
    sort of shunning the good girl at home for the new girl 555

for me, i simply would want to live in another country simply because it is a different aspect of life
    not for any negative reasons with my own country and the country i am presently living in
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 21st October 2013 at 04:54.

Isn't life a bit like a forum though? You just join in where you have an interest... and others that share that interest join in with you...

No need to please everyone all of the time...

Just talk to the people who talk about things you like then... 555

Do you mean the "background noise" to every day life... work colleagues, patients etc? Rather than people who are your friends?
    Roads, supermarkets, down town, parties.. That sort of things..
    Patients do tend to talk about things that matter.. and for the time they suffer stop caring about the superficial things in life..

But even friends.. The number of caring doctors I have seen change into.. caring about their golf handicap and the stock exchange more than their patients..
    Funny thing is.. They feel I lost ot.. while I feel exactly the opposit!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

What do you think they will talk about in Thailand ? - Food , Thailand's got Talent , the Weather , what phone to buy , etc ... Same as people do the world over ...
    Last edited by Stillearly; 21st October 2013 at 05:03.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast