Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: See Your Video files on the TV with Chromecast

See Your Video files on the TV with Chromecast

I bought a Chromecast from Lazada for 1600 baht delivered. It's a dongle that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. You then can broadcast video over your wifi network from your computer with no HDMI cable. The TV becomes a second monitor.

It's similar to Apple TV but I think Chromecast is more flexible and cheaper. It's only $35 in the US.

Certainly worth the price of admission for eliminating HDMI cables.

I download torrents from Pirate Bay and watch them on the TV. That's the only thing I want to do. For that, Chromecast is perfect and it works flawlessly.

Any YouTube content can also be broadcast to the TV using any device to control it, computer, phone or tablet.

More features are being added all the time, Netflix, HBO etc. It should work VLC soon.

You can be streaming video to the TV from your computer while surfing the Internet at the same time.

I think it's amazing.
    Hatari likes this.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Sydney's Avatar
    Being meaning to grab one for a while as they are so cheap but yet so handy. Is your downloaded files full HD 1080P and does the chromecast play the files ok without any buffering ?

I'm not sure they're 1080 p.

I went and looked, I don't have any 1080p

No buffering with HD TV shows though. It is suppose to work with 1080p

Added: I'm pulling down some 1080p movies to see
    Last edited by Pinot; 10th August 2014 at 17:09.
    Sydney likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post
    Being meaning to grab one for a while as they are so cheap but yet so handy. Is your downloaded files full HD 1080P and does the chromecast play the files ok without any buffering ?
    Watching live sport is dependant on local internet.

I watched the 5 Ashes test matches in Oz last year with Chromecast with about 90% satisfaction as well as this years tour in RSA that we won 2-1

I'd imagine on a good ADSL connection back in Oz you'd get much better results than that!
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Mostly with the torrents they will be 720P, but sometimes you will see full HD Bluray rips at 1080P, however the file size is often twice the size, so twice as long to download

Most TV's have 3 HDMI ports now days so dedicating one to the Chromecast should't be a issue ... So as you say at only $35.00 is really is a no-brainier...

My only thought was the performance of 1080P movies....

Edit: Ok spotted your edit now Pinot...5555 ... let me know how it goes, as i love watching my movies at 1080
    The only thing that will stop you from fulfilling your dreams is you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydney View Post

My only thought was the performance of 1080P movies....

Edit: Ok spotted your edit now Pinot...5555 ... let me know how it goes, as i love watching my movies at 1080
    They work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Watching live sport is dependant on local internet.

I watched the 5 Ashes test matches in Oz last year with Chromecast with about 90% satisfaction as well as this years tour in RSA that we won 2-1

I'd imagine on a good ADSL connection back in Oz you'd get much better results than that!
    Yeah streaming files from the net is a different animal hay ! Even my ADSL 2 connection here sometimes stuffs around when streaming the NRL games ... lots of movement mind you, camera pans, zooms, subjects always running etc all adds to the amount of data having to be feed.

A 1080P movie already on your drive shouldn't be a problem for the CC but !! .... its still data getting pushed from A to B, and B has to keep up, so i will wait until Pinot gives it a through testing with some high action 1080P movies before i commit my $35.00 ... 55555

^ i watch vids from Youtube with it...some good docos and music.

Usually start them,pause and let them download for a bit and then play them without any issues (usually...nothing for certain here in LOS 55).
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 10th August 2014 at 17:46.

^ yeah its much better when you can pause them but it keeps downloading, effectively creating your own buffer, i do that all the time as well, if i can see the stream is not going to stay ahead .... Sh1tes me on some sites though that contain video were you pause it but everything stops, download and all... really annoying

TBH nothing that certain here with internet speeds as well, lots of bottlenecks, high load times, Australia with its vast size is far behind on terms of speed compared to some countries, we have talked about this before. NBN seemed like a good idea , but i am yet to see it roll past my door, both at home and at my factory

Just watched the beginning (15 minutes max) of Sabotage in 1080p, the newest Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. The Chromecast/TV thing worked perfectly. The Schwarzenegger thing...not so good. The movie starts with a big violent police assault on a drug dealer fortress. The problem, the assault team had to bring Grandpa along. It's really pathetic.

Governor, never make another action movie. Please.

. Chromecast-I was fighting with this thing today. I couldn't get Plex to start. Read online help and found enter http://127.0.0.1:32400/web. That only works on my computer to start Plex.

I'm starting to explore Plex. Looks like some cool features.

When not streaming, Chromecast displays amazing photos from around the world and the time in the lower corner. Just leave it on. Amazing pics.
    Last edited by Pinot; 11th August 2014 at 01:38.

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot View Post
    Just watched the beginning (15 minutes max) of Sabotage in 1080p, the newest Arnold Schwarzenegger movie. The Chromecast/TV thing worked perfectly. The Schwarzenegger thing...not so good. The movie starts with a big violent police assault on a drug dealer fortress. The problem, the assault team had to bring Grandpa along. It's really pathetic.

Governor, never make another action movie. Please.

. Chromecast-I was fighting with this thing today. I couldn't get Plex to start. Read online help and found enter http://127.0.0.1:32400/web. That only works on my computer to start Plex.

I'm starting to explore Plex. Looks like some cool features.

When not streaming, Chromecast displays amazing photos from around the world and the time in the lower corner. Just leave it on. Amazing pics.
    Which browser are you using?

It is only possible to cast to chromecast with the chrome browser.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    So hoe does this work?
    Do you need Andy special software on your computer?
    Can you still use your computer while playing a movie?
    Does it support any format?

Sorry for the atechnical questions...

^ you download a Chromecast app to set it up and have an interface on your browser for when you want to select what you want to watch.
    It's a small icon in the top right corner to open and close and start casting and stop casting.

And yes you can still use other tabs on your PC as it plays.

You can broadcast any media player that plays on your PC.

Yes it works perfectly. Streaming video from any device (computer, phone, tablet) over wifi to your TV.

It turns any TV, like the $200 32" inch Chinese one I just bought, into a smart TV. The sound sucks because it's a cheap TV but you can also hook this up to the music system. Many apps for this as well. https://www.google.com/chrome/device...cast/apps.html

It's cool. And cheap.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinot View Post
    Yes it works perfectly. Streaming video from any device (computer, phone, tablet) over wifi to your TV.

It turns any TV, like the $200 32" inch Chinese one I just bought, into a smart TV. The sound sucks because it's a cheap TV but you can also hook this up to the music system. Many apps for this as well. https://www.google.com/chrome/device...cast/apps.html

It's cool. And cheap.
    Just got a Chromecast for A$37 on Ebay, took me 10 minutes to set up and works a treat, very clear. Purchased on Pinot's rave review, thanks in this topic.

On says hi to you Pinot and your lovely wife.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

might add i use my Chromecast for all of my tv requirements here in LOS now.
    i have a good ADSL service here with fibre optic main frame used out on the street where it connects to.

streaming live sport
    news
    movies
    my fav national geo,history,CSI and discovery shows etc...earlier than available on pay tv and when i want to watch them and as many as i like at a time

all for free.

there are internet issues every now and then but i've watched more than a dozen cricket test matches now with only minimal inconvenience.
    Last edited by Moo Uaon; 3rd January 2015 at 12:09.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน briofoz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    might add i use my Chromecast for all of my tv requirements here in LOS now.
    i have a good ADSL service here with fibre optic main frame used out on the street where it connects to.

streaming live sport
    news
    movies
    my fav national geo,history,CSI and discovery shows etc...earlier than available on pay tv and when i want to watch them and as many as i like at a time

all for free.

there are internet issues every now and then but i've watched more than a dozen cricket test matches now with only minimal inconvenience.
    Is it possible to get Fox Sports out of Aus for RL, RU, etc?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    Don't ask me how but a mate had a STB in his bar in Patong, with Sport off F@x. I asked him how, he said F@x think the STB is in the spare room at his Mum's in Oz 55 , so guessing it is doable
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

you can get any live sport on the net but it's not 100% reliable and dependant on internet speed.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by briofoz View Post
    Chromecast just broadcasts whatever you're playing on a laptop or tablet to your TV. I doesn't provide any service by itself.

Moo must already have access to those things, and he's just using Chromecast as a conduit to display it on his TV.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast