Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Medical Insurance

  1. #1
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UdonThani
    Posts
    1,201

    Medical Insurance

    I was one of them blokes that has never believed in taking out medical insurance when travelling, even though I have "lived" in Thailand for 6 years now.
    I'm a fairly healthy 45yr old and never perceived myself in need of insurance, only them overweight unhealthy looking farangs should be worrying about taking out insurance.....
    Well as fate would have it, I have just left BKK hospital in Udon with a 130,000 baht medical bill, now, luckily for me my new company had taken out expat insurance on my behalf (due to me working abroad).
    End result was insurance covered 90% of the bill, leaving me with a bill of 13000 baht.....

    peace ^B^

  2. #2
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51,646
    And you always seemed like a guy who would be well prepared Dazza... 55

    Glad it turned out ok. And your health? You are ok now?

    Insurance might be worth it not only for health issues... but also if you are hit by a bus...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


  3. #3
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,228
    I have never left home without medical / travel cover , touch wood , I've never needed the medical element of the cover ( a couple of minor visits to the hospital but not worth making a claim ) , but I have needed to claim on the travel part ...

    I was due to travel with a mate , but unfortunately he died of a heart attack the day before we were due to leave , so obviously I cancelled my trip , all my expenses were covered by the insurance.

    With my other claim , my Mum was undergoing treatment for Bowel Cancer , I already had a trip planned , but the Cancer became more aggressive than anyone anticipated , so I cancelled my holiday , but because i hadn't informed the Insurance company of her condition , I wasn't covered ( it's in the small print , if any family member has a condition that might cause you to cancel , pre advise them )
    Quarky likes this.

  4. #4
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UdonThani
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    And you always seemed like a guy who would be well prepared Dazza... 55

    Glad it turned out ok. And your health? You are ok now?

    Insurance might be worth it not only for health issues... but also if you are hit by a bus...
    Lesson learned re:insurance now.....it'll take a few weeks to be back to fully functional I think, I blew an L5 disc in me back....all I can say is farken OUCH !!! lol
    Quarky and pinecone like this.

  5. #5
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Lesson learned re:insurance now.....it'll take a few weeks to be back to fully functional I think, I blew an L5 disc in me back....all I can say is farken OUCH !!! lol
    So did you have surgery?

    For 500-700usd per year.....I've never understood why people don't insure themselves and gf/wife/kids in Thailand

  6. #6
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UdonThani
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    So did you have surgery?

    For 500-700usd per year.....I've never understood why people don't insure themselves and gf/wife/kids in Thailand

    Yeah I had surgery, couldn't last another day with the pain that eventually made its way down my leg, excruciating it was!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Perth, West Oz
    Age
    37
    Posts
    10,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    I was one of them blokes that has never believed in taking out medical insurance when travelling, even though I have "lived" in Thailand for 6 years now.
    I'm a fairly healthy 45yr old and never perceived myself in need of insurance, only them overweight unhealthy looking farangs should be worrying about taking out insurance.....
    Lucky! Glad you didn't get screwed over.

    Not sure how someone can not believe in travel insurance though 55. It doesn't matter how great a shape you're in, you can still slip and fall on your ass. It always costs me less than 100 bucks for unlimited medical insurance and around $35K personal liability insurance, so I'm covered both ways.

    Don't leave home without it. I even get it when traveling domestically within Australia.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.


  8. #8
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,032
    Just about to sort mine now, thanks for the reminder. 1 Cover $120 for a months travel, never had a claim in 10 trips to Thailand and hope I never do but wouldn't leave home without it.
    Seven days to the hour I will be on Phuket, yesss
    Bacon likes this.

  9. #9
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,799
    I agree with the old saying...if you can't afford the insurance you can't afford to travel.

    I did make a mistake last trip, I left in a hurry and organized my Insurance on the night before flying, It wasn't till I got home and the policy was in the mail that I noticed I had miss entered the dates of my travel, out by a month 55555
    Luckly nothing went wrong.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  10. #10
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Yeah I had surgery, couldn't last another day with the pain that eventually made its way down my leg, excruciating it was!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I had spinal fusion surgery on my C3-C4
    Had a really bad herniated disk but I let it go for a long time
    So it was more of a dull pain.....in the end was pretty bad all the way down my arm

    Kind of still fcuked but as long as I do cardio consistently it remains loose
    If not.....it gets real tight and I get migraines

  11. #11
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,933
    Glad I read this thread..... I had totally forgotten about insurance... anyway all fixed up now.


    Even though the adds are absolutely the most annoying on TV, this mob are indeed, not too bad

    Travel Insurance Comparisons & Quotes | Compare the Market
    Life is short..... and love is always over in the morning.

  12. #12
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,356
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    Just about to sort mine now, thanks for the reminder. 1 Cover $120 for a months travel, never had a claim in 10 trips to Thailand and hope I never do but wouldn't leave home without it.
    Seven days to the hour I will be on Phuket, yesss
    I have travel insurance as part of my extended health care at work and also through my credit card.

    Turned in my bills for my MB accident and they all got paid
    Took a bit long because the 2 were fighting over who had to pay

  13. #13
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I had spinal fusion surgery on my C3-C4
    Had a really bad herniated disk but I let it go for a long time
    So it was more of a dull pain.....in the end was pretty bad all the way down my arm

    Kind of still fcuked but as long as I do cardio consistently it remains loose
    If not.....it gets real tight and I get migraines
    Was the spinal damage done on the bike? Or did you fall of your chair after a HUGE trade 555
    Never had surgery (touch wood) been lucky so far (repeat).....

  14. #14
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,032
    Quote Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
    Glad I read this thread..... I had totally forgotten about insurance... anyway all fixed up now.


    Even though the adds are absolutely the most annoying on TV, this mob are indeed, not too bad

    Travel Insurance Comparisons & Quotes | Compare the Market
    I reckon I saw that leading actor (Meerkat) on the TV add last time in Pattaya dave01, a little Russian bloke, he started talking to his friend in broken English and I nearly pissed myself, dead ringer.
    dave01 likes this.

  15. #15
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    UdonThani
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I had spinal fusion surgery on my C3-C4
    Had a really bad herniated disk but I let it go for a long time
    So it was more of a dull pain.....in the end was pretty bad all the way down my arm

    Kind of still fcuked but as long as I do cardio consistently it remains loose
    If not.....it gets real tight and I get migraines
    I ended up getting microsurgical discectomy done, cannot rate the surgeon/staff highly enough, been 3 days since the operation and have been home 1 day and have had zero painkiller tablets since leaving hospital.

  16. #16
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,356
    Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    Was the spinal damage done on the bike? Or did you fall of your chair after a HUGE trade 555
    Never had surgery (touch wood) been lucky so far (repeat).....
    No 555
    Years and years of football

  17. #17
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    20,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    I ended up getting microsurgical discectomy done, cannot rate the surgeon/staff highly enough, been 3 days since the operation and have been home 1 day and have had zero painkiller tablets since leaving hospital.
    I had mine done at 1 of the best hospitals in NYC by one of the best doctors but it was hell after for the 1st week

  18. #18
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน RakThai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    10,321
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I had mine done at 1 of the best hospitals in NYC by one of the best doctors but it was hell after for the 1st week
    C3-C4 versus L5-S1.. Can't compare the problem nor the surgery..

  19. #19
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    13,228
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Yeah I had surgery, couldn't last another day with the pain that eventually made its way down my leg, excruciating it was!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had similar , a couple of years back, L4/L5 , luckily I didn't need an operation , a few injections seem to sort me out , Dorsal root ganglion block , having learnt my lesson I informed my travel Insurance company , touch wood its been okay for almost three years now ..

  20. #20
    Organic AI Quarky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    51,646
    Quote Originally Posted by RakThai View Post
    C3-C4 versus L5-S1.. Can't compare the problem nor the surgery..
    Which is more painful? Or does it depend? And you can't compare? Paulies sounds more like a lower neck injury as opposed to the lumbar injury of dazza?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •