Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Bacon
  • 1 Post By jontymate

Thread: Anyone Employed in the IT/Programming Field Abroad As An Expat?

Anyone Employed in the IT/Programming Field Abroad As An Expat?

I would like to know some general info on what I should major in like Computer Science or Computer Information Systems etc...in college in order to move to LOS and be employed or other Asian countrys.

Thanks
    A good night, the best in a long time
    A new friend turned me on to an old favorite

Can't really comment specifically on LoS, but looking back and what I wish I'd have done, would be to aim for one that best supports an IT Project Manager role - so one of the courses that involves the business and real-world application side of things and not specifically the hard-core maths **** that my Computer Science course had. I think you'd also have more flexibility with a Project Manager role as you're not tied down to one niche.

For something related to SEA, definitely go for a few modules that perhaps have financial links and get as much experience in that area as possible, as there are a LOT of banking roles in SEA, especially places like Singapore and Hong Kong. Even if SEA didn't work out, you can't go wrong with an IT job in banking. You can also meet and get to know a lot of well established and well connected people in that industry, opening potential paths for other opportunities elsewhere.

I'm guessing that possibly the worst choice would be a strict programming course due to the abundance of cheap labour from the middle east and asia, especially if you wanted to freelance.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar

Anyone Employed in the IT/Programming Field Abroad As An Expat?

Yeah management information systems would be better rather than straight computer science. Biz analysts in my industry earn a **** load too, 750-1000 a day for highly skilled and experienced consultants. So even if you can't find a job at least you probably be rich!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    The head of my IT department..... at one of the biggest financial services firms in Canada.......could not type properly
    Total joke.

If I had to guess, he made 300-400k/yr. Just retired.

Literally typed with 1 finger
    Last edited by MarcTwoSix; 11th January 2015 at 13:29.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supmate View Post
    I would like to know some general info on what I should major in like Computer Science or Computer Information Systems etc...in college in order to move to LOS and be employed or other Asian countrys.

Thanks
    I agree with NH and KO.

I've looked into this before. Asia is saturated with skilled workers in all fields, and Thailand is not lacking any IT workers when it comes to the nitty gritty. And even if you did land yourself a job, you'd make less in a month than a BG would make in a week. Not really the sort of money that someone used to a Western life style can live on.

What you're doing now is taking a bottom up approach; looking at a skill-set first and then deciding what to do with it later. But I think it's much better to decide on a strategy first and then see what skills you need to develop in order to get there.

I personally would not work for a Thai company. I'll link a couple of articles if I can find them. The salary is sh*te, and they're all political cesspools. And I mean fucking cesspools! Your bosses will try and fuck ya at every step, and face and respect is big, so they're degrading environments to work in as you have to lick a lot of boots. Forget Thai companies if you want my humble opinion.

Your best chance is landing yourself a job with a Western company if you can. Or alternatively working in some sort of a contractual capacity with Thai companies, where you don't have to take a too much sh*t from them. And when it comes to that, you have to ask yourself why they would need you. Fluency in English would be one reason they may need you. Working in a supervisory or sales position would be ideal. Some companies have international clientele and would prefer having a Western face with fluent English represent them, rather than some fumbling Thai.

And these are just some points I'm putting out there, so just think about all the different angles involved before you make any large investments in time or money.
    Last edited by Bacon; 11th January 2015 at 12:13.
    lovemetwotimes and weitling like this.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Thanks for reply Bacon...

As for speaking about generally working in SE Asia...I have a friend whos employed in Singapore who actually makes more there then at home but he is in straight accounting lol...
    A good night, the best in a long time
    A new friend turned me on to an old favorite

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supmate View Post
    Thanks for reply Bacon...

As for speaking about generally working in SE Asia...I have a friend whos employed in Singapore who actually makes more there then at home but he is in straight accounting lol...
    Singapore is a whole different kettle of fish. Needholiday normally works there.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    If I had to guess, he made 300-400k/yr. Just retired.

Literally typed with 1 finger
    Just imagine what he could have earned using all ten 5555

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Singapore is a whole different kettle of fish. Needholiday normally works there.
    Working for a multi-national in Singapore is probably like elsewhere in SEA - you usually get paid relative wages. Working for a local company though, at least in Singapore, and you'd be paid peanuts and usually have less benefits (whereas the multi-national benefits, like holiday etc, are global/relative).

From my experience in Singapore, unless you're at a very high managerial level, you will be paid less in terms of direct money conversion. What usually happens in Singapore is that foreigners are brought in for specific roles - regional CxO for example, and will be paid *****loads* (relocation packages, housing etc). Anything lower than a managerial level and basically anyone can do that job, and Singapore are pretty strict on ensuring local Singaporeans are employed first and foremost, therefore if you do get that type of job it's not going to get an amazing pay (obviously rare exceptions).

Any type of "Manager" job will get paid more in Singapore too, hence my earlier comment of aiming for like Project Management vs like a programmer.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Sup

All good advice my young friend and it's wise to ask such questions. The relatively high paying jobs that can also give you independence do not have a name as yet IMHO. This is in 5,10 and more importantly years beyond for you.

Thus study building blocks that will be universal and be multi disciplinary. Then go outside formal academia into really knowing how to sell and relate to people from different ethnic backgrounds and social strata. It is a learnt skill some just need more tuition than others. Managing people flows from this understanding and where things really compound.

My current goal is to manage people remotely as practicably possible. My regrets is that I really have not married current skill sets to include the financial sector rotation. Good luck bloke
    PeteGill likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    Shipping operator, Coal Broker, Oil Broker or Ship Broker. In my experience are jobs that people I know have found most easy to move over to Singers with. Either sent from the UK with their existing company or found direct with companies in Singapore.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Good to see Flexo Brah is finally coming off his intense, multiple and prolonged highs.

Don't put your past in LOS on your C.V.

Good luck me boy 555!