Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: non residents receiving aussie pension

  1. #21
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    wollongong
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ the "mediterranean back" was in epidemic proportions way back when.

    Oz an easy target for SS suckholes from all over the world.
    555 the Lebbo Back I was going to write that but didnt want the PC brigade to brand me a Racist 5555

  2. #22
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    wollongong
    Posts
    3,236
    What I dont get is, if you can only get the pension if you have been a Aust resident for 30/35 yrs. Why is there a steady stream of Chinese and other obvious foreigners of pension age walking in and out of the Dole offices here.
    When I say obvious they are the ones who are the desk with a Interpreter doing the talking for them. I would think after 30 plus years here you could at least speak basic English

  3. #23
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    18,935
    ^ they'd be getting some other type of benefit and allowances before retirement age that the locals wouldn't be able to get away with.

    30/35 years relates to the aged pension.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

  4. #24
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    wollongong
    Posts
    3,236
    Yep the system is geared for the blow in's. Ive worked all my life here and been put of from work and cant get any Gov Assistance. Not even the lousy card to get my prescription's discounted . So much for doing the right thing.

  5. #25
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    I used to think "Pensioners" were all old, how wrong was I....
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  6. #26
    Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    เชียงใหม่
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    What I dont get is, if you can only get the pension if you have been a Aust resident for 30/35 yrs. Why is there a steady stream of Chinese and other obvious foreigners of pension age walking in and out of the Dole offices here.
    When I say obvious they are the ones who are the desk with a Interpreter doing the talking for them. I would think after 30 plus years here you could at least speak basic English
    The 35 year thing is not about getting the pension.
    It's about getting the pension whilst living OVERSEAS.

  7. #27
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    The 35 year thing is not about getting the pension.
    It's about getting the pension whilst living OVERSEAS.
    The number of years is part of the calculation as to how much OAP any person gets.
    This restriction came about because many Greek and Italian migrants could get a full OAP here and also a full OAP back "home".

    And don't overlook the fact that if you have a Thai wife you will get less than the full single OAP as you have an ineligible partner.
    The rate is then 50% of the married rate.

  8. #28
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    wollongong
    Posts
    3,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    The 35 year thing is not about getting the pension.
    It's about getting the pension whilst living OVERSEAS.
    Oh ok thanks

  9. #29
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Norabunga View Post
    This is still the case. Nothing to do with actually working or paying tax.
    JC is mistaken saying the qualifying period can be at any time of your life.
    35 years of your "working" life. i.e. that period of your life you are deemed to be of working age (16 +). 0-15 doesn't count.
    Well obviously I was infering you being of working age 16, we don't have kids down the coal mine these days

    My point was it doesn't have to be in one stint, as I said you can have gone overseas and worked for years, then come back and it continues to accumulate.

    Zab I agree it would be politically silly to change anything to existing but it will be bought in for future pensions, won't be in this budget but it will be.

    The report into all social security has recommended everything be bought back to just 5 different types. Already the disability pension has been tightened up, and almost impossible to get one now.
    Existing pensioners on disability are being called in to have medicals by the department's specialists to determine if they still qualify. They do say no one will be worse off....yea sure.

    I have already said I think it's stupid as it will cost the taxpayers more if everyone moves back. Rental assistance, medicare, pension discounts on power and rego etc. but like I said, their thinking is the majority of future expats will still go and the Gov will save the cost of the pension.

    Scott Morrison has been given the portfolio to try and get it reduced, welfare, eats up 60% of the nations budget.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  10. #30
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    9,708
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Well obviously I was infering you being of working age 16, we don't have kids down the coal mine these days

    My point was it doesn't have to be in one stint, as I said you can have gone overseas and worked for years, then come back and it continues to accumulate.

    Zab I agree it would be politically silly to change anything to existing but it will be bought in for future pensions, won't be in this budget but it will be.

    The report into all social security has recommended everything be bought back to just 5 different types. Already the disability pension has been tightened up, and almost impossible to get one now.
    Existing pensioners on disability are being called in to have medicals by the department's specialists to determine if they still qualify. They do say no one will be worse off....yea sure.

    I have already said I think it's stupid as it will cost the taxpayers more if everyone moves back. Rental assistance, medicare, pension discounts on power and rego etc. but like I said, their thinking is the majority of future expats will still go and the Gov will save the cost of the pension.

    Scott Morrison has been given the portfolio to try and get it reduced, welfare, eats up 60% of the nations budget.
    Yeah -well they could have banked what we paid in - and not reward unmarried mothers for having kids by whoever - part rant over ...

  11. #31
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,850
    ^^^ Zab I agree and I have said many times over the years, I believe you shouldn't be able to get anything unless you have paid in.

    I know it would never happen but I have advocated for a debit credit type system and where you could leave your credits in your will to someone. Unmarried mothers would have to provide the fathers details and the fathers credits would be rduced by the assistance given.
    If the father had no credit's then they would be taken from his parents.

    Very quickly the boys that don't care about getting a girl pregnant would suddenly reconsider if it meant' their or their parents future pension was being taken away, also some of these deadbeat parents would pay attention to what their kid was doing if they stood to loos their future pension.

    I did get the baby bonus when we had the twins, but that's the only thing I ever got, no 1st home buyers grant, nor reduced stamp duty, no baby bonus for my first two kids and I didn't get the Gillard handout either as I was above their means test.

    If you need a gov handout to have a baby you can't afford to have one period. Like saying I'm going overseas for a months holiday but can't afford travel insurance.....get real!!
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  12. #32
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Perth
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,996
    JC do you think that what you say about holding male persons parents responsible if the male had no credits and his parents would be responsible for his kids. Remember there are two people involved in making a kid. The girl can say no if she does not want to take a chance as well.
    Is not just a one way street in that regard

  13. #33
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,850
    ^^^ Yes fair point Chelski, it's just a quick summary of an idea I had that has a lot of things that would be unsavory to instigate.

    But at some point in time the system here is going to fail, it's not mathematically possible to continue as it is. What happens then???

    We are running down the same sort of trouble with Debt and Budgets.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  14. #34
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399

    Looking for "Out there" solutions to the cost of aged care?
    You only need to look as far as what they are doing with refugees.
    Move the OAPS to a third world country and pay their government to take them.
    Lots of low cost "Carers" available.
    As they are starting to say "The age of entitlement is over".
    Couldn't happen...could it?
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  15. #35
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    The difference in the Australian Pension Assets test for a "Home owner" vs someone who doesn't own a home is laughable in terms of today's property prices. About $150K difference in total other assets allowed.

    At the same time, a single pensioner can also own up to almost A$1million in assets (Non home owner) other than his own home and still get a part pension.

    Is anyone still reeling in dull surprise as to why this country has a sea anchor sized pension bill which is eventually going to take the ship down with it?
    Here's what is needed.

    People who live in properties worth a million dollars or more should Not be getting a pension full stop.
    But they've lived there all there lives. Fine. Stay there. You just won't get a pension as well.
    Or sell it and live in a more modest home valued at (Say) a maximum of what first home buyers are limited to. The rest can be converted to a private pension to help keep you.

    If you've got between $750,000 and $1,000.000 on assets in addition to your home good luck to you.
    But if you want a pension, you should be required to convert all but (Say) up to the deeming limit into a private pension and only be granted any more in the form of an age pension if that doesn't give you enough to reach the normal aged pension amount.

    If you've got money in Super? Good on you. Fact is most Australians have less than $250K in Super. If you want a pension your Super should be converted to a private pension first. No lump sums allowed to be kept if you want an age pension unless they are counted at full value.

    Tough? You bet. Necessary.? Absolutely.

    Moo Uaon likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  16. #36
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    lOZt
    Posts
    2,651
    ^^^ 555 - not

    How about if you didn't work hard enough, or make enough money, or pay enough taxes, or save enough for your future, then you get next to nothing back because you didn't kick in enough along the way...you didn't pay your fair share. And if you did pay a motza in taxes, then you deserve to get some benefit in retirement, and not just be told sell the house you worked and saved so hard for.

    Tough? You bet. Fairer, absolutely.
    Rivo, jontymate and Tingtong like this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

  17. #37
    Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nth Brisbane Qld Aust.
    Posts
    12,850
    Don't disagree C1 but it's not just the OAP's the attempt by the Gov to reform higher education has to be got thru before any of that.

    The medicare co payment doesn't wash now, since they already increased the standard levy by .5% on all taxpayers.

    They need to stop large companies from divesting income to offshore parent companies as so called debt repayment, pay the tax then repay the loan.

    But we digress.

    Any changes in assets assessment needs to be set as not effecting the family home but up to limits that need to be set on a city and area basis. not just a set $1mill, ...$2mill it needs to be based on the average value for a superb, town city etc.
    Last edited by justcruzing1; 7th March 2015 at 20:13.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

  18. #38
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    You make a good point, but like most things it ain't fair.
    What's your plan then.....?
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  19. #39
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    .
    Posts
    12,399
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Don't disagree C1 but it's not just the OAP's the attempt by the Gov to reform higher education has to be got thru before any of that.

    The medicare co payment doesn't wash now, since they already increased the standard levy by .5% on all taxpayers.

    They need to stop large companies from divesting income to offshore parent companies as so called debt repayment, pay the tax then repay the loan.

    But we digres.

    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

  20. #40
    ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Age
    51
    Posts
    3,962
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    ^^^ 555 - not

    How about if you didn't work hard enough, or make enough money, or pay enough taxes, or save enough for your future, then you get next to nothing back because you didn't kick in enough along the way...you didn't pay your fair share. And if you did pay a motza in taxes, then you deserve to get some benefit in retirement, and not just be told sell the house you worked and saved so hard for.

    Tough? You bet. Fairer, absolutely.
    I think though Nomad our generation (the cusp of defined others) have been educated to plan for a non-governmentally funded twilight years. When I say educated, hinted at, to strongly suggested at best for many in the formative financial years. It is still translational for many of us in our age group. Given today's thinking....That thinking has a dynamic rate that is unsurpassed going forward.

    At a minimum the thought (thinking) of paying in (taxes) can not be equated to getting something back. The method and timing of that transition is the only political debate IMO. A government funded pension going forward is welfare for those unable, as you suggest, not an entitlement.

    C1 asks what's your plan? Education, financial education, as a part of schooling. I feel that should be a subject encapsulated in social studies or life skills whatever the term is now.

    I witness the Chinese kids have a subject that is left over from the hard communist days and the best interpretation is "to love your country" from what they tell me, one facet, they are taught about personal debt and consumption. Not only how that affects them but the country. This is not the answer alone but aspects of it can be considered

    As it stands now, those that purchased that little property on the beach, or elsewhere, that has increased in value. They played by the rules of the time. As I said it must be an incremental transition. They have it hard enough paying the rates on a pension. The only fair incentive to downsize.

    My children however do not expect anything from the government. They also know I will never be wealthy in a cemetery. The only legacy I will leave my children I hope is pride. The rest I will enjoy with them.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 
      
       
       
         
       
      
     

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •