Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: non residents receiving aussie pension

non residents receiving aussie pension

During a recent discussion with my ex who resides in LOS but is an Australian citizen, she said that she was told that Australian citizens have to return to Australia once every two years to continue receiving benefits of citizenship.I told her that I doubted that was true but said no more. But later I thought this was odd..what benefits of citizenship I wondered.

I know that you have to be a resident ( ie make tax return as a resident) to be eligible for free medical cover. It's actually not free but rather 2%? of your taxable income with a threshold under which you dont pay..I believe.

She has not been in Oz for two years but has a medicare card valid till 2017..She has not made a tax return .If she tries to uses the card will it work? If it does she eventually might receive a bill from the government.

Yesterday I read on the government's yourpension website a couple of examples of how non residents can apply and how much they get for the pension.

The big surprise for me was that of you have been an Oz resident for less than your whole working life and you live in a country which does not have a taxation- pension arrangement between governments, then it seems they work out how many years you have worked in Oz ( ie lodged a tax return) and a prorata percentage of the full pension is given..when applying for the pension yiu have to apply in Oz and hang around until it is approved..then you can go to another country and have the money transferred from the Oz bank to wherever or just use an atm card.

I'll do some more investigating, particularly about how long do you have to reside and work in Oz before you get any amount.

My ex worked for 10 years in Oz..

I was a non resident for 20 yrs.

I guess there are a few bms receiving oz pensions..

any comments or advice would be appreciated.
    X|0|0
    0|X|0
    0|0|X...relaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaax

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    you'll always be an Aussie citizen,no need to return to fullfil any obligations there.

if her medicare card is current it'll more than likely work.

if she ever had a business with an ABN and collected GST she may have the ATO after her or they may try to get money from her bank account...if there is one/any funds.
    if she only ever worked for PAYG,no problem.

if she has lodged tax returns before she should do one and nominate not to do a tax return and even nominate that she doesn't want to pay the medicare levy or she'll be liable for the minimum when next return is lodged.

for the aged pension you have to live in Oz 2 years before you are eligible to receive it or 2 years after getting it and having worked for 30 yrs (or maybe now it's 35?).
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    The government's databases are not that sophisticated. There are no reports or queries that automatically return results of having been away and having used citizenship privileges such as medicare. Especially if it's just for everyday things.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

^ they know if you've been out of the country and been receiving a benefit that you shouldn't be if you weren't there.

see stories about jihadists in the ME that were receiving the dole....they know who and how long they've gone.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    ^ they know if you've been out of the country and been receiving a benefit that you shouldn't be if you weren't there.

see stories about jihadists in the ME that were receiving the dole....they know who and how long they've gone.
    I think that's because these people were under surveillance to begin with and had everything about them checked.
    Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Its clear that if you have been receiving the age pension for at least two years while you are living in Australia, you can continue to receive the same pension while living overseas. If not, there's a 26 week limit to any overseas trips.

If you are living OS and you come back to Au in order to start claiming the age pension, you can't move back OS for more than 26 weeks for at least two years or the pension will be stopped, and you'll have to apply for it all over again.

In most cases the amount you get will depend on how long you have lived in Australia.

As always check your personal circumstances with Centrelink before you do anything in expectation of a pension.

Moo Uaon likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    I think that's because these people were under surveillance to begin with and had everything about them checked.
    i know of other cases,different pensions and ordinary Aussies.

C1's case of people needing to stay in the country 2 years before after getting the age pension is the same.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    have had this come up before on another site.

Things are changing, very shortly people.

Currently, as said, you have to have worked and paid taxes, also need to live permanently in Aust for 2 years prior to applying for pension or return to Aust. and "Intend to reside permanently" after 2 years you get the pension.

It is all very discriminatory if you leave after the 2 years and they decide you were just doing the time, they cut you off.
    If you leave the country for more than 6 weeks, you will get cut off. Then it is up to you to show cause. AND time can start again.

The current laws are very much over to the department to intemperate but I can tell you there are big changes coming, they have draft legislation that stops disability pensions being paid overseas, and they have held back as they are looking at making it applicable to all pensions. It will mean if you leave the country for more than 6 weeks you will be cut off and have to justify why you should be reinstated.

We all know it's crazy as it is cheaper for the Gov to have us a s expats, no medical, no rent assistance etc. BUT they believe, people going to be expats will still be with or without the pension so they see money savings.

Centrelink is locked into Customs computers and cross referenced so it is automatic that they know you have left.

C1's right by the letter of the law Max.26 weeks..... but an old friend that used to be a manager of Centrelink in Gold Coast told me they had/have an unwritten rule of 6 weeks now. And that's what is in the legislation being drafted.
    crispy likes this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

I just grabbed some post's, the guy has lived in LOS for 3 yrs before returning.

Latest Info

today 27th january 11.15 am
    i got a call from Centrelink ,, which city i don't know,, private number

centrelink now says,, i was granted the Aged pension under the returned resident agreement

so that means because,, i was living out side Australia for a period of time before i applied,, about 2 year +
    the rules are,, if i leave australia in the next two years ,, before 19th December 2016 they will stop all payments,, and i will have to re apply when i go back to Australia to live full time , under the same conditions
    hope this helps ,, it doesnt help me

--------------------------------------------

8 January 2015 - 03:46 PM
    Just got back from centrelink once again
    this is what they told me today

because i lived outside Australia for a period of time before i applied for the pension i was classed as a returned resident ,, someone who comes back to claim the pension then probably goes back overseas to live,

so i asked can i go on holiday for say 3 or 4 weeks each year for my two year stay in Australia
    she says yes but you must come into centrelink and tell us your leaving date and your arrival date ,, but we will stop pension payments while you are overseas,,
    you will need to come in the office once you get back ,,maybe even apply for the pension all over again,,

then i asked

if im away for, say 3 weeks, halfway through my two year in Australia, how does that effect my two year back in Australia rule,,

her reply,, when you come off your holiday your two year stay starts again,, so another two year !!! fuck me

so i asked for an appeals form to start an appeal ,, her answer ,, you wont win
    its government policy and you wont change that ,,
    im going to keep on at this maybe i wont win

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Looks like a very strict interpretation for "Returned resident pensioners".
    The rules say you have to tell Centrelink if you are going overseas for more than six weeks.
    If you don't, they will know and you will get cut off at six weeks and have to start the whole process again when you return.

Not sure what the effect of telling them before you go would be, more time on pension, up to 26 weeks?

Also not sure about the pension being cut off for short OS holidays as I hadn't heard of that but if so it would effectively mean NO Overseas travel in the first two years for returning resident pensioners.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Immigration, Medicare and Centrelink computers are all linked - instantly, the moment you leave or return.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Looks like a very strict interpretation for "Returned resident pensioners".
    The rules say you have to tell Centrelink if you are going overseas for more than six weeks.
    If you don't, they will know and you will get cut off at six weeks and have to start the whole process again when you return.

Not sure what the effect of telling them before you go would be, more time on pension, up to 26 weeks?

Also not sure about the pension being cut off for short OS holidays as I hadn't heard of that but if so it would effectively mean NO Overseas travel in the first two years for returning resident pensioners.
    We had a lengthy discussion on this.

The term exported benifits was quoted from the act several times, implying you couldn't recieve anything while out of the country.

I had explained you could get it for 6 weeks without a problem, If leaving for more than 6 weeks you need to have an interview to get a clearance and I'm not sure what the guide is, but id it was say a 10 week cruize on the QE!! then it could be OK.

The point being that "exported benefit "is different to being paid while on a holiday, be it internal or external.
    It refers to payment to a person no longer deemed to be residing in the country.

The requirement for full pension has been extended from 20 years a taxpayer, to 35 years, that time can be anytime in your life. Less times are pro rata.

my info is that requirement for full aged pension changed from 30 years working-paying tax to 35!

^^^

The original qualifying criteria (8 years ago) was "number of years resident in OZ from working age (16)" not dependent on actually working or tax returns.
    Changone likes this.

^^^^ Sorry Typo, 30 changed to 35.
    This can be accumulated at any time of your life so you could work15 yrs, go overseas, for 5 then come back and work for 10 then off again then back for a final 10.

If you were living overseas but paying tax in Aust as some companies do, then that time is included.

What they were going to bring in the May budget but won't now, as polls are too bad and some seniors would scream, was to stop all payments to anyone not residing in Aust.

If you go back to early last year, you may remember a disability pensioner from Perth originally , that was living in Bali.

He is mid 30's and has a bad back and mental problems, if I remember correctly. he posted on Faceboook his surfing exploits and some other things on the beach. Showing he has no real problem.

So the Dept. called for him to be assessed by THEIR Doc's and when he refused to come back for the appointment they cut him off.

He went into a rage and flew back, went off at everyone but refused to be assessed by the Dept's doctor claiming he had provided evedence from his own doc and that was previously accepted so end of story.

I don't know how it panned out for his case but I know it had the minister and all dept. heads up in arms and looking how to stop this.

If you are rorting the system, don't post on social media as someone may see it and dob you in.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    This is just another case of the shonks stuffing it up for the genuine people claiming the Pension.

^ the "mediterranean back" was in epidemic proportions way back when.

Oz an easy target for SS suckholes from all over the world.

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    ^^^

The original qualifying criteria (8 years ago) was "number of years resident in OZ from working age (16)" not dependent on actually working or tax returns.
    This is still the case. Nothing to do with actually working or paying tax.
    JC is mistaken saying the qualifying period can be at any time of your life.
    35 years of your "working" life. i.e. that period of your life you are deemed to be of working age (16 +). 0-15 doesn't count.

I don't know where you get this stuff from JC but it would be political suicide for any Party to retro-actively change/drop the Pension.

There are heaps of services we don't use - Medicare, PBS, free transport etc - and savings also due to no allowances paid.
    Last edited by Zablive; 4th March 2015 at 10:21.

yeah,all the talk (heard it from others) that you'll have to keep going back in order to keep your aged pension doesn't make sense as it adds to the cost.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast