Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Farming in Thailand

Seven_

Farming in Thailand

This is why you don't try and plough in the wet season in Thailand

The BIL got it stuck pretty good, tried for ages to get it out by himself, and then came home to get me and the other tractor to pull him out.

Maybe we need a farming section on the forum as we don't seem to have one yet and post are made all over the place.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    I am not sure how many farmers we have, but it is an interesting idea for a thread.
    How did you get in to farming in LOS? Had you farmed before, or were you one of those who has always fancied the lifestyle. Or third option marry in to it.

I grew up on a poultry farm run by my late mother and I have always said that watching chickens being dispatched from an early age (both me and the chickens) helped form my rather strange sense of humour, that and the fact that my dad was a stone mason and I had visited just about every cemetery in the country by the time I was ten.
    But even from those days I can remember just how much hard work farming can be, especially when the weather turns bad.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I wouldn't have a clue about farming anywhere but would love to hear your exploits or anyone else's

Did you have farming knowledge before you did this in Thailand?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    I am not sure how many farmers we have, but it is an interesting idea for a thread.
    How did you get in to farming in LOS? Had you farmed before, or were you one of those who has always fancied the lifestyle. Or third option marry in to it.

I grew up on a poultry farm run by my late mother and I have always said that watching chickens being dispatched from an early age (both me and the chickens) helped form my rather strange sense of humour, that and the fact that my dad was a stone mason and I had visited just about every cemetery in the country by the time I was ten.
    But even from those days I can remember just how much hard work farming can be, especially when the weather turns bad.
    Stone Mason? ...did your Dad teach you the Secret Hand Shake 555
    PeteGill likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    Stone Mason? ...did your Dad teach you the Secret Hand Shake 555
    Funny as a kid we would sometimes drive past the Free Masons hall and I would ask my dad if he was a member, I thought that they must all do the same work 5555

Seven_
    [QUOTE=PeteGill;238426]I am not sure how many farmers we have, but it is an interesting idea for a threa
    Last edited by Seven_; 14th August 2016 at 21:59.
    PeteGill likes this.

I remember as a kid that the standing farming quip was 'next year will be better'

So obviously with your background and knowledge you understand what to expect. As you say a lot of Falang end up on the farm with absolutely no idea what is install for them and just how fortunes can change due to so many factors....

Looking forward to more installments from you 7

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Looking at your pic seven, the front wheels of the kubota still look like they are on firm ground, was 4wd engaged? ..............also the pic looks like its on a side of a small hill, unsual to have wet ground.
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    wabbits likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Looking at your pic seven, the front wheels of the kubota still look like they are on firm ground, was 4wd engaged? ..............also the pic looks like its on a side of a small hill, unsual to have wet ground.
    Camera angle Gav?

Q for 7, is AgLime used much in your area ... or which fertiliser is best suited to rice paddy? I know NPK is widely used to bolster growth and our own family use a lot of pig poo but interested to hear what you find best.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Seven_
    [QUOTE=Rivo;238538]Looking at your pic seven, the front wheels of the kubota still look like they are on firm ground,

Seven_
    [QUOTE=kaptainrob;238546]Q for 7, is AgLime used much in your area ... or which fertiliser is best suited to rice paddy? I know NPK is widely used to bolster growth and our own family use a lot of pig poo but interested to hear what you find best

MIL uses pig poo initially and NPK (15 15 15) later and gets highest yield/price for hom mali (jasmine) rice in their region. Mind you, she spends each day removing weeds and grasses and replanting any bare spots.

Thanks for answering the lime Q and I understand now why never seen.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Seven_
    [QUOTE=kaptainrob;238759]MIL uses pig poo initially and NPK (15 15 15) later and gets highest yield/price for hom mali (jasmine) rice in their region. Mind you, she spends each day removing weeds and grasses and replanting any bare spots.

Platinum
    Interesting - and looking forward to more updates.

Who do you sell rice to? Is it through the rice scheme? And what are the thoughts on the rice scheme up in Issan?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    standard-silo.jpg

These are the bees knees for temporary storage.

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by Cashpoint View Post
    Interesting - and looking forward to more updates.

Who do you sell rice to? Is it through the rice scheme? And what are the thoughts on the rice scheme up in Issan?
    The rice pledging scheme is no longer going as such its changed to a new version , the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) now has a new version where they pay up front (with a 300,000baht limit) for the rice and you store it on the farm for them,
    Last edited by Seven_; 14th August 2016 at 22:00.

Seven_
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    standard-silo.jpg

These are the bees knees for temporary storage.
    Well very temporary storage, as they are not meant for storage over a period of time. The are called field bins in Australia and are used to store grain while the harvester keeps cutting until the truck can get back to pick it up, without it the harvest when full would have to wait for the truck to get back before continuing.

I don't think they would be of much use in Thailand, as they couldn't get access to most rice paddy's and would get bogged if they did. Also most of the time the rice is still wet after harvest and needs to be dried before storage.

Also rice doesn't store well in silo's and you will have problems with moisture migration which results in hot spots and mold issues, which is why you don't see any around.

If I had a harvester I would think about getting a chaser bin, like this
    so the harvest doesn't have to stop working, as most harvesters here have only small bins and seem to spend a lot of time stopping emptying into utes/trucks which are then un-loaded by hand, wasting a lot of time.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    I can understand the problems you explain with rice.
    We stored lupins and oats in mobile bins year round for feed.

Threshing good fun from sun up >

I did 70 bags that morning ... no whisky!
    jontymate likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast