The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Didnt someone have a motorbike renting/selling business in patong his wife ran?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mix View Post
    I always paid the 300 baht fine years ago...havent been in 4 years...couldnt have changed that much lol...I am leaving real soon wont have time to get the international license...besides i think mines suspended here. Can't I just get a bike license in thailand or one there? I highly doubt they will contact or check my license status in america I mean I do have one I can give them physically to get on in thailand...theres always a way around things in Thailand so any ideas?

I rarely wear a helmet...(yes i know its dumb) but I will get pulled over anyway idk...if its really a problem or that diff from before il get the license
    OK so you think your license is suspended in your country. Surely you can check.

The International license is a 15 min exercise at the local motor club, here in Qld it is the RACQ ( Royal Automobile Club queensland) cost is $24 and it is just a form to fill out. You need a current license.

Here is a link to one of my threads... read it Don't Pay that fine for 6-7 days and keep riding/driving

The Thai laws require you to have an IDL and all the police are now issued with a laminated card that shows what an IDL is, it is white in colour. Most LOS cops can't read English so they used to let you go if you showed any license but now they are on strict instructions to only accept the IDL. and have a sample to compare.

If you are going to live there for a long time buy a good helmet AND WEAR IT!!! FFS I survived hitting a Kangaroo at 190kph because I was wearing all the right gear, a full face top of the line helmet shattered into 3 pieces so my skull didn't.

Go and get a Thai license, it isn't as simple as you think but do it.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    The Thai laws require you to have an IDL and all the police are now issued with a laminated card that shows what an IDL is, it is white in colour. Most LOS cops can't read English so they used to let you go if you showed any license but now they are on strict instructions to only accept the IDL. and have a sample to compare.
    What a complete load of BS,

for 1 its called a International driver permit not a licence. (IDL)

2, They look different depending on the country of issue.

3, Most western country license holders don't require one as per Thailand's Motor Vehicle Act B.E. 2522.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I always paid the 300 baht fine years ago...havent been in 4 years...couldnt have changed that much lol...I am leaving real soon wont have time to get the international license...besides i think mines suspended here. Can't I just get a bike license in thailand or one there? I highly doubt they will contact or check my license status in america I mean I do have one I can give them physically to get on in thailand...theres always a way around things in Thailand so any ideas?

I rarely wear a helmet...(yes i know its dumb) but I will get pulled over anyway idk...if its really a problem or that diff from before il get the license
    Theres still plenty of cops with their hands out , but you can now expect TWO fines if they spot you without a helmet on AND ask you for a license and you dont have an US motorbike License PLUS an IDP ( its actually called an International Drivers PERMIT ) toshow them.
    So anything from 600 to 1,000 baht 'fines' for the above.

But probably the more important reason to get the proper licenses back home is that those slimy Insurance Companies that have written you a not cheap Travel Policy and taken your money , will wriggle out of covering any injuries if they can establish you didnt have the licenses.
    My advice to anyone planning on driving/riding is to get your finger out and get your papers in order .. its not that hard.
    Thai licenses are much easier to get with an IDP in your hands..

Quote Originally Posted by phaisan View Post
    What a complete load of BS,

for 1 its called a International driver permit not a licence. (IDL)

2, They look different depending on the country of issue.

3, Most western country license holders don't require one as per Thailand's Motor Vehicle Act B.E. 2522.
    Oh so what happened to me and what I was told by the Senior Sargent in Pattaya last November is wrong and the same thing happening to my expate mates there so they went and got a Thai license.

So I called it a license instead of a permit, God the walls of Rome are falling.

The Sargent showed me what is issued to the officers, a 4 sleeve sealed plastic, like heatwrap. He pointed at the White one the others were in Thai.(I think)

I tried to defend not having one as Australian license is in English which is the world requirement by law and he said Thailand had made their own law and was different and for me to go and read Thai law.

He made the point that not all Thai police can read anything but Thai and so they have given them the sample so they know what you must have. I don't have one, never have needed to so I don't know what colour if any other, that different countries use.

Don't Pay that fine for 6-7 days and keep riding/driving

Cadet Bronze
    I suspect the nomenclature differs from country to country. The one I have is called "International Driver's License" and has now used 8 years of its 10 year validity. It was issued in Mongolia and has my Thai address on it. I recall it was fairly expensive to obtain but I have used it in several countries so has been handy.

I have used it occasionally in Thailand if it looks like it might get me through a checkpoint faster (it is harder to claim ignorance of a law and apologise if I show my Thai license with lifetime validity).
    Zablive likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Theres still plenty of cops with their hands out , but you can now expect TWO fines if they spot you without a helmet on AND ask you for a license and you dont have an US motorbike License PLUS an IDP ( its actually called an International Drivers PERMIT ) toshow them.
    So anything from 600 to 1,000 baht 'fines' for the above.

But probably the more important reason to get the proper licenses back home is that those slimy Insurance Companies that have written you a not cheap Travel Policy and taken your money , will wriggle out of covering any injuries if they can establish you didnt have the licenses.
    My advice to anyone planning on driving/riding is to get your finger out and get your papers in order .. its not that hard.
    Thai licenses are much easier to get with an IDP in your hands..
    Absolutely correct for Phuket.
    It may be different in Nakhon Nowhere.
    As with everything else here - Local rules Rule.
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and promoted by a sick mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!

Mix
    Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Absolutely correct for Phuket.
    It may be different in Nakhon Nowhere.
    As with everything else here - Local rules Rule.
    When I lived there in 2014 I never ever had issues with any of this tbh and I drove daily without helmet...paid a fine once and awhile 300 baht
    reformed, simply as

Mix that is 4 years ago, things have changed in the last 6 months, I have advised you on what happened in Patt's, Chob and Zab both who live where you are heading, have confirmed it is the same there.

It may not be happening in outer country areas but you are not going to live in outer country area.

My understanding is you will need a ILP to be able to apply for a Thai license, I remember reading somewhere a farang had to return to his home country and get a IDP then fly back, to get a Thai license. (Could be he was given wrong info, I don't know)

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Mix that is 4 years ago, things have changed in the last 6 months, I have advised you on what happened in Patt's, Chob and Zab both who live where you are heading, have confirmed it is the same there.

It may not be happening in outer country areas but you are not going to live in outer country area.

My understanding is you will need a ILP to be able to apply for a Thai license, I remember reading somewhere a farang had to return to his home country and get a IDP then fly back, to get a Thai license. (Could be he was given wrong info, I don't know)
    Just to add, in CM there are multiple area's where they stop and check motorcycles on a daily basis. So it has defiantly ramped up.

Mix

wooot <3 just bought this lol

Anyway I can't get an IDL since mines suspended here...so I will have to get a thai drivers license without it just like many ppl online have before and written guides on how to. I can't tell you how many times/circumstances ppl on forums have said you can't do something in thailand but theres always always a way around it thats much simpler then people make out to be
    reformed, simply as

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    A Thai DL is much easier to get with a IDP than it is without...not impossible without. You just have to do the full test
    briofoz likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    Just to add, in CM there are multiple area's where they stop and check motorcycles on a daily basis. So it has defiantly ramped up.
    Last winter season in Chiang Mai the police were checking every day... during the day. Not so much at night. My lady friend's daughter is 17 and does not have a driver's license. Noey lives in Saraphi with her grandmother. She rides on the scooter every day... and no helmets. She often comes into the city in the evening.

I was checked at least a dozen times in the city, but not once on the highway... which is a first. Police usually have one of those road stop scams near Doi Suket about the end, or start of a new month.... Got to supplement their meagre salaries.

I had to renew my 2 year, Thai driver's license last January. I didn't need a road test, but had to sit through a half hour movie showing all the does and don'ts.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar

wooot <3 just bought this lol

Anyway I can't get an IDL since mines suspended here...so I will have to get a thai drivers license without it just like many ppl online have before and written guides on how to. I can't tell you how many times/circumstances ppl on forums have said you can't do something in thailand but theres always always a way around it thats much simpler then people make out to be
    Ok ... the IDP then falls into what I call the "pen bpai mai dai" ( impossible ) category.
    These guys , the Pattaya City Expat Club website , generally have very up to date info on the ins and outs of Thai officialdom.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com...0Checklist.pdf

Of course , TiT , so each office will vary a tad , but this is pretty close to what is required ( well last I did it ) in Phuket..
    The ' Certificate of Residence ' can be a pain , and as far as I know , its a must for most areas.
    Make sure that whoever you rent from is Willing to provide you the photocopies of the C of R before you commit to a longer term rental deal with them ... its not hard for them , but some landlords want to fly completely under the radar and flatly refuse, or live in Bkk , or have 50 rentals ..

Of course you can just do nothing , but remember the Insurance issue ... Or hope you are still compus enough to bribe a cop after a bad accident to say you produced a valid license and then later the Insurance staff dont look further as to License Number etc ( and I have heard of that happening amongst my Thai family ).
    Unless you own the scooter should you have an accident , of course you would still have to pay for the smashed up one.
    ( And in LOS , even when you are in the right.)

For anyone who'd like to know ...
    You can buy Insurance for riding bikes in Thailand from -
    www.siam-solution-insurance.com

But I have had no personal dealings with them to say anything more .

I know of a local lady in CM that had her friend on the back of her scooter without a helmet. She was photographed and received a 400 baht fine in the mail. She was pissed off because normally the friend would have her bag over her shoulder hanging down to obscure the number plate. My understanding was that only the front rider needed a helmet, so a new change, (much needed).

Banned
    Oh so what happened to me and what I was told by the Senior Sargent in Pattaya last November is wrong and the same thing happening to my expate mates there so they went and got a Thai license.

So I called it a license instead of a permit, God the walls of Rome are falling.

The Sargent showed me what is issued to the officers, a 4 sleeve sealed plastic, like heatwrap. He pointed at the White one the others were in Thai.(I think)
    So you really have no idea what he pointed at? IDP (the P is permits) aren't white for a start.

I tried to defend not having one as Australian license is in English which is the world requirement by law and he said Thailand had made their own law and was different and for me to go and read Thai law.

He made the point that not all Thai police can read anything but Thai and so they have given them the sample so they know what you must have. I don't have one, never have needed to so I don't know what colour if any other, that different countries use.
    You were scammed, nothing short, but don't go claiming its the law.

By your account you have no idea what your have been fined for, post a picture of the ticket and I will tell you.

Banned
    I outer country areas I have never been stopped on a motorcycle.

Clearly given the wrong info.

Newby
    hi lads can i dip my oar into the conversation about trav insurance and m/cy riding cover?
    the rider MUST have passed a m/cycle test in his home country
    or theres zero cover
    also always check the engine size of the bike
    it musn't exeed the max cc size/displacement stated in the m/cy section in the smallprint
    it's usually 125cc max , so don't hire a 150 cc! or the slimy git,s will deny your claim
    i'm no hexpert btw---
    Distantpeak and Minder like this.

250 limit on the cover I get.

^^^ If you get it with RACQ there is no limit.

I checked it out and even spoke to a customer service rep to confirm. That was for my trip last nov.

Mine comes free with my CC.
    No biggy,..I use a PCX 150 more than anything else over there these days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast